Sport Touring on a ZX1400R ABS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Toro

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
I recently couldn't resist the call of an end of season Kawasaki ZX1400R ABS SE. During delivery the service manager (who rides one as his daily commuter) kept telling me about using it for sport touring. Of course my preferred bike for actual sport touring is the FJR, and I bought this bike as more of a whimsical addition rather than as a long distance rider.

When I got home (from Rockingham Sport Cycle in NC) I started looking into it, and it appears that in Europe this bike is a popular sport touring option.

I've been riding it a bit, and it is quite comfortable. Very smooth. Incredible power (reports indicated mid 9 quarter miles in excess of 150 mph. Excellent handling. I've owned three of the BMW K1300S models that compete with this Kawasaki, and my impression is that they do not compete any more. Maybe BMW agrees since they're retiring the K1300S effective with the 2016 MY.

Has anybody on this forum set one up or used one for sport touring? Every time I take it out for a 50 mile run I wonder if it wouldn't be nice to just keep going....

As I'm sure you know, the entire premise of "sport touring" originated by sport bike owners just adding a few comfort accessories and some baggage and hitting the road. The biggest limitations will most likely be with the rider's size and physical shape and how comfortable he can get being in a sport riding position all day.

I owned one of the earliest purpose-built ST bikes, a Honda VFR, and it was still very much on the sporty side of modern ST rider ergonomics, with high pegs, low bars and a minimalist windscreen. It was a great fun bike for a day long ride, but riding it day after day on any sort of a tour would not have worked for me as I am a full sized American (6'2") and was folded up pretty tight on that bike. I am also a bit heavier than optimum at 225 lbs, and my physique is that of the 60 year old I am, not a young racer stud. But I did have it fitted out with luggage and it was capable of touring in the right rider's hands. My son rode it for a 10 day vacation (two up) and the guy I sold it to rode it cross country for 2 weeks.

Like I said, it's more about your own capability than the capability of the bike. ;)

Certainly some riders are more well suited than others. I always loved the K1300S and had those little accordion style expandable panniers that could be thrown on it when needed for small luggage loads. I was never a fan of the R1200 RT. It always felt so sluggish.

I've ridden the 750 and 800 versions of the VFR. They fold me up more than the K1300S or the ZX1400R. I think the term used for the K1300S is "gentleman's sport bike" and the term gentleman may be used loosely, with the portly gentlemen meant but not spoken. Honda's taken the idea further with their 1200 version, which can be obtained with their DCT feature (useful since Yamaha USA has stopped importing bikes with the AE feature). I've considered that VFR a couple of times, but never closed a deal.

I seem to remember Dale, and maybe some others, riding Blackbirds or similar on very long distances. The wheel base on the ZX14R is about the same as the Blackbird's. I think you have to get creative to add luggage and other amenities, although there are some accessory plugs in the wiring harness at the dash and in the middle. Heli sells risers and they're quite simple to install. I don't think I would need them though. I'm pretty comfortable with both pegs and bars.

For me (I'm older still), I really like to stop every 100 miles these days, whether in the truck, or on a bike. We used to stop and trade bikes on the theory that a change was as good as a rest ... but in my view today, nothing but a rest and a walk around is as good as a rest.

I used to tour on a 1989 ZX-10 which was very similar in size to a ZX-14 (which I later owned) except the handlebars were about 4 inches higher after adding Genmar handlebar risers. Corbin still made the original gun fighter seats which were very comfortable and the bike came with nice tie downs points which made it easy to strap luggage across the rear seat. Packing for camping was a challenge but doable with soft luggage. I used to routinely do 400-600 mile days as easily as I currently can do on my FJR but that was 20 years ago and a lot has changed since then....except my size....I'm still 6'4" and about 225.

Last edited by a moderator:
I met Dale (Warchild) quite a few years ago briefly, he was touring on a Hyabusa. Stolen pic of his bike off the 'net I found below. I see a LOT of bikers touring through Yellowstone area in the summers, occasionally there are full sport bikes going the long haul. One guy I was quite jealous of had a hot girlfriend riding a Ninja 636, he was on a Ducati Multi, they were riding across the country with minimal gear. I would think the downsides of real touring would be limited range and stretching chains, but people make it work.

Dale's bike (in Idaho
smile.png
):

Curves_central.jpg

I remember Dale rolling in to WFO down in Moscow having lost one of his GIVI's side case to an almost missed a Deer Strike.

I know the Busa is considered a super sport touring bike in Europe too, like the ZX14R and the K1300S.

I remember when I first saw a Hayabusa. It was as one of the very last bikes in the Museum of Modern Art's traveling exhibition "The Art of the Motorcycle." I could not believe my eyes.

I've picked up a couple of new bikes this Fall... Our riding season has been extended. It's never actually over around here, but we've had day after day after day of perfect riding weather.

Light winds. Fair traffic. Highs in the 70s. No rain. It's quite unusual for this neck of the woods.

So I'm not back here to check on posts.

I am thinking that a Busa would be a good addition ... and that Sport Cycles dealer in Rockingham, NC has some rockin' deals on Busas too.

It comes in RED
jester.gif

Unless things have changed, the Busa does not have a center stand whereas it is an option on the ZX-14. That was a deal breaker/maker for me in selecting the ZX-14.

I found some nice expandable bags from SW-Motech.

There are risers, rear sets, seats, and wind screens readily available. As I've been riding it, I've found the stock seat to be excellent and the stock bar position to be comfortable for me. I am not spending day after day on it though so longer continuous rides might require the alterations.

I loved the gen 2 Zx 14, had a large expandable tail bag which was perfect size of the rear seat. And could hold weekend worth stuff easy. Used to tour a lot including 600-700 miles a day ride. absolutely loved it. suspension stock itself could be tweaked perfect for upto 180 lbs easy, seating has narrow neck and like on top of the bike rather than in the bike, hence easy to slide around in corners. The only reason I ended up getting out of it was because I ended up riding always way beyond what I should be doing without even trying hard and feeling the speed. And along with that thought I wanted something with abs just in case and was looking secretly looking for the zx 14r but couldn't find one in price range. despite the size it was easy to ride on twisty, with some risers the ergo was perfect for me, and for my small frame wind protection more than adequate. engine heat was one negative - changed to engine ice, still not much different. u will never be sorry with a properly set up zx 14. Givi hard panniers available. center stand available. all advertised for pre 2012s but I think fits with the current version as well.

I loved the gen 2 Zx 14, had a large expandable tail bag which was perfect size of the rear seat. And could hold weekend worth stuff easy. Used to tour a lot including 600-700 miles a day ride. absolutely loved it. suspension stock itself could be tweaked perfect for upto 180 lbs easy, seating has narrow neck and like on top of the bike rather than in the bike, hence easy to slide around in corners. The only reason I ended up getting out of it was because I ended up riding always way beyond what I should be doing without even trying hard and feeling the speed. And along with that thought I wanted something with abs just in case and was looking secretly looking for the zx 14r but couldn't find one in price range. despite the size it was easy to ride on twisty, with some risers the ergo was perfect for me, and for my small frame wind protection more than adequate. engine heat was one negative - changed to engine ice, still not much different. u will never be sorry with a properly set up zx 14. Givi hard panniers available. center stand available. all advertised for pre 2012s but I think fits with the current version as well.
This one is a 2016 and it does not appear to throw off unpleasant heat. Then I never complain about the FJR either. I ride ATGATT and by the time the protective pants and the protective boots are on, any radiative heat transfer is pretty much thwarted.

I continue to be surprised at how well it handles twisty roads. And I continue to think that it is more comfortable than the K1300S, and more powerful as well.

I think the biggest drawback is the potential for losing your license. It makes you feel like 20 over is 10 under.

One thing that was interesting to me is that Farm Bureau rates it as a touring bike, and as such, its insurance rate is no worse than any of the other large displacement bikes in my garage.

I know that it is still a heavy bike ... and in my experience lighter is better. It is making me wonder if it's not time for a liter bike. Some have nearly the same power, but shed 100+ pounds. That's gotta be fun.

Try its later sibling GSX-S1000! It's 465 lbs wet, 145 HP, close to 80 lbs-ft torque. It's definitely a sport bike in disguise.

Out of the 30+ bikes I've owned, the ZX14 fits me about as perfect as I could expect any bike. I know this is an old thread, but recently picked up an 06' ZX14 and I really like this bike. In 2006 I bought one of the first 5 ZX14's (red) delivered to the Phoenix market. I then became an alumni member of the 'every 2 year' drivers school and managed to talk down tickets to below 20 over, even the time I was rolling 4 times criminal speed in a 75 mph zone!! The first ZX14 I bought new and it pretty much stayed stock, stock pipes, stock seat, stock handlebars, the bike really fits me well. The second I bought used last month is pretty much stock as well, stock seat, stock handlebars. It does have a 4:1 exhaust and PC3.

Anyway, the wife and I put a lot of touring miles on the first and will probably do the same with this 2nd one. I'm 5'8", 28" inseam, about 145 lbs. I have never had any hard cases or side bags. I do run a tank bag and back in 2006, 07', 08' and 09' run with an expandable soft top bag on the tail and sometimes even strapped down a piggy-back bag to that. Those days we were more adventurous and would often leave on a day ride and not get back for 2 or 3 days! Of course we never did any Iron Butt rides or toured for weeks because of time restrictions, but now that we are both retired, if we can ever get our property to the point we can go for extended periods, it would be on the ZX14. Here is a photo as we arrived for our wedding reception at Creekside Lodge in 2008.

ejgACLh.jpg

If I were your size (5'8" 145 lbs) it would open up a world of bikes to me. I wouldn't be all crowded on my FJR, even solo, and I'd be able to comfortably stand on my Vstrom's pegs without hunching my back and shoulders, though I instead might complain about not touching the ground with both feet at the stop lights.

Unfortunately(?) for me I am more in the middle of the North American body size bell curve and am 6'2" and ~ 225 lbs on a good day (working to get that down) and the a fore mentioned maladies mean that riding a sporty type bike for more than a short ride is painful. Been there, and done that.

Little people can get nice and comfortable on sport bikes, where bigger people are in misery. Jus' sayin. Enjoy your ride.

I've always found the gentleman's sport bikes (K1300S, ZX14R, and Hayabusa) to be more comfortable than a stock FJR. The stock FJR has a funny knee and hip geometry for me. And it always needs a seat replacement. The aforementioned bikes are less painful for some of us ... and it's not directly proportional to rider size. The stock seat works for me on those bikes too, so that's a plus.

I don't how tall guys cope with the FJR. I guess that's why there are farkles to create more room. You might be more comfortable on something with floorboards.

I feel your pain Fred, in the opposite. I guess size does matter. I do have the problem of reach on the FJR, therefore I had it lowered a bit. I have that same problem with many sport bikes, touring and sport-touring bikes. And I have that problem with all dirt bikes, except those little kid size 50-80cc, which fit me much better!! The ZX14 I can flat foot without modification to the bike. Still I ride taller bikes, they just don't fit as well as the ZX14. I really like the FJR, it's a great bike and easy to understand why so many like it, I do too. I've liked just about every bike I have had, but none of them fit as well as the does the 14. As important, my wife likes riding on the ZX14 better than any of the other bikes I have had since we have been together. So for both of us the ZX14 is the better fitting bike for whatever style of ride we take on in any given day.

Like yourself, when I ride a sport bike like a 250 or 600, the pegs are a bit high for me and the old knees and hips feel it after a few hours, so I think I understand how you may feel being your height. I suppose we have an advantage that they make a lot of different bikes. And, if you lost a few inches of height and I gained a few inches we would probably be the same height and perhaps enjoy some of those different bikes. We would then be closer to the average height of the North American male. Anyway I was just commenting on the OP as how well I liked the ZX14, and how well it fit me for touring or just scooting around.

There's a recent thread on the Blackbird forum (https://www.cbrxx.com/general-cbr-xx-discussion/36090-alternative-bike-blackbird-should-day-sadly-come.html) discussing which bike would best replace the 'Bird - performance, comfort, touring, etc.

The most frequently mentioned is the ZX1400R. Also mentioned are the 'Busa, the FJR, and the K1300 (among a few others).

I'll admit it: the Bird is the most fun bike I've ever owned and the one I'd rather ride in most circumstances. But for more than 200-300 miles in a day I'll take the FJR or Wing. Just getting older & stiffer.

I have a ZX14R, it's amazing in every way but still not an FJR, not even close. They compliment each other extremely well despite both being big I-4's. Depends on where I'm going and what kind of riding I want to do.

For several years I had a FJR along with not one but two Blackbirds (a 2001 and then a 2003 model).

I had the Blackbirds farkled for long distance riding (especially the 2003 model) and the FJR was set up to my liking of course.

I ended up keeping the FJR and selling the Blackbird mainly because I don't have time or space in my life for two motorcycles, now anyway, and they were so close in capability given my limitations as a rider, that it did not make great sense to keep the Blackbird around.

I do miss that motorcycle though. It was gorgeous, fun, reliable as hell, comfortable and, as the kids say, bad-ass in a very understated way that you don't see very often. Honda can pull that off once in a while.

As I aged though, the comfort of the FJR began to be the dominant factor in selling the Blackbird. For my money, it is all the thrill I need in a two wheeled machine. And it is just as gorgeous and reliable.

The FJR is the go to bike for long distance riding in my opinion.

I agree the smaller you are, the fitter you are, the younger you are, the more a full size sport bike weapon like the ZX-14 can be usefully deployed as a ST bike. Not so sure about two up riding unless she has a fantastic attitude about these things. Good luck on that.

As an embittered, aging, plump, firearms enthusiast, however, I am in the proper demographic for the FJR and hope to be for years to come.