Are Gen I and II bikes smoother than Gen III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny G

Reaction score
I posted a topic about a sensor problem when someone mentioned older bikes running smoother. (less vibration). I put just over 43,000 miles on my 2009 FJR before trading for a new 2014. I have around 25,000 on my 2014. From day one it seemed to me anything over 65 to 70 mph, the new bike has much more vibration. I went as far as adding heavy bar ends to quell the vibration. I know Yamaha went from a sleeved cylinder to coated. I thought I read they had also changed to a shorter piston skirt. Has anyone else experienced this or is it my imagination or just good justification to buy 2017 black six speed FJR.

Danny

Never heard it this way. Heard it many times that Gen 3 are smoother than Gen 1 and Gen 2. And my personal experience is my two Gen 3s are a little bit smoother than my two Gen 1.

However, the term "smooth" is very subjective and probably thought of many different ways....let alone the non-engine components of the perception of "smooth".

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez, I've been riding only a Gen 1 for about 5 years now, but any significant vibration or roughness would make me want to investigate and eliminate things like:

1. wheel bearings (should be great - have not yet read anyone here saying any Gen FJR has needed bearing replacement before cwazy mileage
  2. tires not properly balanced (?)
  3. steering bearings (though similarly, see comments in item 1 above)
  4. swingarm bearings (item 1 comments again)
Your original post appears to suspect subtle differences in build for engines; have you experienced noticeable roughness in engine response between bikes, OR just when rolling on the highway?

Curiously yours...

I think they're about a wash until the Gen 1 and Gen 2's get to be about 15 years old, then their skin gets a little crepey.....

Oh - you're talking about how they run, not how soft their skin is. Never mind.....

Have you changed the plugs yet? I had a slight miss on my '06, a few hundred miles after buying it, something from storage did not agree with it.

My 15A is very smooth, it's even being good with the stock tires, let's see what happens when the miles starte adding up.

Over the years I have heard very few variations among the bikes. Although there have been some cases where some owners had a particular year , then bought another of the exact same year FJR, would say the vibes varied between the two bikes in degree of vibes or where the vibes were felt.

Personally I think all 3 of my different gen FJR's were very similar in vibes, with the gen III maybe feeling least intrusive....which I attribute to my lessened death grip on the throttle due to the easier throttle pull.

My 2015 has noticeably more vibration than my 2005. I felt the difference as soon as I rode it the first time.

I think it's individual bikes some run smoother than others. My 05 was wonderful, and on the 13 you can close your eyes and not know the difference.

At 70-80+mph when you feel the vibrations,close the throttle and pull the clutch lever immediately.If the vibrations comes from the engine they will disappear.

If the vibrations they still there,then the problem probably comes from the tires,especially from the front tire..

Good comments. It is not a horrible vibration, bike runs perfect, just seems not quit as smooth. This made me think of one thing we have done. A bunch of us ride Saturdays and make a couple of trips a year. We started changing our own tires with a Coats and Nomar changer. We have been using beads instead of the traditional balance. Makes me say huh.

Danny

My 2015 has noticeably more vibration than my 2005. I felt the difference as soon as I rode it the first time.
Test rode a 2016. BUZZY sumbitch compared to my '05. Hand-numbing vibes everywhere from 25-40 mph as opposed to the 'normal' buzzy spot around 3800 - 4100 rpm I've always had with the '05 - which you could diminish to nearly unnoticeable with a good TBS (no longer possible on the Gen III, I guess). It was bad enough I'm trying to decide whether to shop for a gently used Gen1 or try a different Gen III in the hopes the factory got a different bike closer to right.

I know Yamaha went from a sleeved cylinder to coated.
No, the FJR cylinders have always been ceramic coated since the beginning.

From day one it seemed to me anything over 65 to 70 mph, the new bike has much more vibration. I went as far as adding heavy bar ends to quell the vibration. Has anyone else experienced this or is it my imagination or just good justification to buy 2017 black six speed FJR.
Yes. I owned a 1st Gen '05 and rode it for 100k miles. I was always able to make that engine run smoothly via the UA TBS procedure. Since we can no longer perform the UA procedure on 3rd Gens, I think we are just stuck with whatever misbalance there is between cylinders from manufacturing tolerances.

My '14 does vibrate a bit worse than my '05 did after adjustment, but it is not really horrible, so it doesn't really bother me that much. It's just something you can notice. I figure the FJR has a pretty big Inline 4 engine down there whirling away... there is bound to be some vibration.

In post number one you say vibration starts at 65 to 70 mph. That is typically the speed at which an out of balance wheel starts to vibrate, then becomes worse as speed increases. In post 16 you say you balance your wheels with beads. I say, you answered your own question. I would remove the front tire (rear makes little difference), remove the beads, and re-balance with traditional weights.