2007 AE w/ Problems...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moto2wheelin

Reaction score
Ok, several things tried so far basically with all of them being done one at a time to ensure what difference was made, etc. and so far nothing!

It's a 2007 FJR ae model with low miles but a couple of issues... It is stubborn and not very smooth right off of idle but that has been pretty common with all 06 and 07 models that I have had in the past. The biggest problem I notice is that the dash lights and the headlight will blink erratic while near idle or even running faster and off of idle. During this time, the engine runs poorly as well.

We have confirmed ground related problem addressed by dealer and have also replaced the ECM with a later model one. No changes to the bike yet. We installed new plugs and cleaned the air filter as regular maintenance.

What are your thoughts? Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated! I have another one in the family as well exactly like it that performs flawlessly, always has! I have had 5 other FJR's in the past as well but all of them were regular A models that needed nothing more than a fuel programmer if they were 06 or 07 models and they have been the best bikes I have ever owned. I have always used Dale Walker for these, great guy!

Thanks,

Brian

I assume no codes stored?

I was thinking idle speed too low but you said it does the same at higher engine speed.

Is it always like this or only sometimes?

Worse when hot or cold?

Have you checked R/R output and stator output?

Battery is checked as OK? Try swapping with a known good battery - bad batteries can do some strange stuff.

Make SURE battery terminals are tight.

Good luck!

Edit - there is lots of stuff that can make the engine run poorly (vacuum leaks, plugged air intake sensor, bad coil, plug wire etc.) but these things don't make the lights blink. Not classic grounding problems but possible. I would explore all the electrical stuff first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please say you either have a new battery or replaced the old one. This sounds stupidly like FJR battery shenanigans. MAYBE spider issues, but if it goes away, I'm betting it's something else, and their first place I'd look is at the battery.

Ross and Zilla are on the right track. A weak battery will start doing all sorts of crazy stuff. Invest in one and go from there. Good luck! :)

This seems unlikely, but was the ecm specifically for an AE? A dealer troubleshooting my 2008 AE swapped an A model ECM and it created even more problems during their evaluation.

Since this bogus ecm swap did not solve anything, it took them over a month to get back to the ecm with a correct AE ecm swap. That solved the problem.

Certainly try the easy stuff first, but even with Yamaha helping with the troubleshooting, this seemingly obvious mistake went unrecognized for 5 weeks.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, R/R replaced first actually just forgot to let you guys know! Problem is consistent and maybe a bit worse when up to running temps., battery terminals tight but battery not replaced yet but will be..., ECM was from known good running AE.

Thanks,
Brian

Update but still no fix... battery replaced now too, 2 dealers that couldn't find anything wrong... I rode it approx 100 miles last weekend and it runs perfect anywhere above 2000 rpm. Under that and it's really rough. It also idled way too fast and tried to keep the clutch engaged due to that. Any other suggestions?

Fuel injector or vacuum leak. Make sure you have a good spark on all cylinders. Did you check for a plugged air intake sensor? (Should throw a fault code 14, I think)

Gage sweep perhaps when this misbehaves? Has the ignition switch been replaced with the recall unit?

Check for the yellow tag on the switch pigtail.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif