My son's 1st Motorcycle ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireman1028

Reaction score
My son turned 7 today and I took him for his 1st real motorcycle ride. We have rode around the neighborhood, but never more than a mile from the house. I have been buying him gear over the past couple of months and he got to use it today.

IMG_6789_zpsbekjclos.jpg

IMG_6791_zpsm3px4uqz.jpg

IMG_6792_zpst495v7ks.jpg

I told him he could have anything for lunch that he wanted, he picked Taco Bell.

Then we went off and tried to find some trouble..

IMG_6787_zpsznnmbjjo.jpg
IMG_6788_zps5zd2aban.jpg

I have been dreaming of this day, when I could share my passion with my best buddy and it was everything that I hoped it would be.

So totally awesome!

My youngest son, now 14, also started riding with me when he was 7.

He has since averaged about 5K miles a year with me.

Nearly anyone who knows me knows my son, Alex.

He's been everywhere and shares my enthusiasm for motorcycling.

Take it easy, build his respect for motorcycles and you'll

have a riding buddy for life.

Awesome! My daughters love my FJR. You're creating a monster; one of the best kinds! If you haven't yet, get comms so you can talk to him. Adding the Sena mounts to my daughters helmets made rides way easier. Have fun!

This is great stuff! Enjoy every single minute, my friend. Before you know it, they will be all grown up and on their own.

Well done, indeed.

Very cool! My stepson has ridden pillion with me since he was around 5. Had the honor of taking my neighbor's daughter for her first ride about a year ago. Definitely get a com system. Really does add to the experience.

Nice job 'fireman! My son began riding with me when he was 6 or 7. He still (15 yrs later) brings up memories of those rides.

As others have mentioned...cherish these times as they'll be over before you know it.

--G

Funny thing on the Comm. unit. We started off with Sully (my son) wearing a new helmet that I bought for him. It didn't have a comm. unit. I had forgot my wallet, so we went back by the house and I had him try on my wife's modular helmet w/ a Sena unit(which fit!!). Once we got back on the road, it was awesome hearing his commentary on seeing the same scenery that he sees everyday, but through a different perspective. I am currently reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and near the beginning of the book he mentions about riding in a car, is like watching the world on a tv. Ironically, my son made a similar comment.

He told me when we got home, that he want's to ride everyday, for the rest of his life. My response: me too.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is so cool! There really is something very awesome about taking someone on their first ride.

I can't relate to this directly - my children never expressed an interest.

But I can kind of relate to it with my nephew, who is 22 now. A couple of years ago, he came to me and asked about getting his own motorcycle. I told him how to do it (safely). A couple of months later, MSF course done, gear purchased, a cream puff small beginner bike purchased and brought up to proper running order mechanically, I was honored that he asked me to join him on his first taste of the wind.

We rode about 100 miles through the back county on roads I had previously ridden hundreds of times. It was absolutely awesome!!!

Something to look forward to.... perhaps.

Nice..

Room for improvement, though - need to carry him to Harbor Freight when they open their doors!

Really cool
punk.gif
punk.gif

Doesn't seem that long ago my youngest son rode as pillion. Since then, three of the grand kids have ridden on the back. Time flies - use it wisely.

Now our great grand daughter gets introduced -- not too sure yet LOL

Your kid's got good taste: Taco Bell is fantastic. Can't wait to try their Naked Chicken Chalupas.

This will be me in a few weeks when my riding season resumes. I've got two boys, 8 and 6. The 8 year old is not so sure about the whole riding thing. He's quite hesitant about many things in life so I won't push him to ride. The 6 year old, however, is another breed. He's been pleading with me to take him riding for two years so he's going to get his ride this year. My wife is not thrilled in the least.