Split: 190 tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First number (180, 190, etc) = Tire width in mm

2nd number (50, 55, 60, etc) = Profile, sidewall height % of width.

Since the main objective of going with a larger tire is to get a larger circumference, you would want to go with a 190/55. 55% of 190 = 104.5mm sidewall height A 190/50 (95mm SWH) will also fit, but will have a slightly smaller circumference than a stock 180/55 (99mm SWH).

Last edited by a moderator:
First number (180, 190, etc) = Tire width in mm2nd number (50, 55, 60, etc) = Profile, sidewall height % of width.

Since the main objective of going with a larger tire is to get a larger circumference, you would want to go with a 190/55. 55% of 190 = 104.5mm sidewall height A 190/50 (95mm SWH) will also fit, but will have a slightly smaller circumference than a stock 180/55 (99mm SWH).
Sigh.... When people mention they mounted a 190, i was asking if it was a 50 or 55

I fully understand profiles, but the explanation could be good for people that don't

So 55 seems to be the answer

Sigh.... When people mention they mounted a 190, i was asking if it was a 50 or 55

I fully understand profiles, but the explanation could be good for people that don't
Since no one else will come out and directly answer your question...yes, many folks are installing a 190/55 for increased rear end height plus the larger diameter for improved speedometer accuracy.

--G

Correct.. the new tire in my picture is 190/55 x 17. I figure the additional rolling circumference lopped about 75 RPMs off my top gear engine speed.... that's the main reason I went with the bigger size (bonus: easier to get bike on center-stand too....)

Mr. BR

thanks guys, much appreciated.
i tossed a 190/55 on my 16 when i smoked my oe before the bike had plates, (railing on it in arkansas) plus i had the pr4 gt 190/55 from my c14.

handling felt great, it definitely was taller, plus this thing still feels like riding a scud, its wide.
smile.png

that pr4 is on the bars, so thats 2 tires edge to edge in 6k miles, well, the pr4 can go more.

Next up will be a 190/50 because i have that on the shelf new also, guessing if i bump my preload up a tic, hopefully it wont be too bad. the 50 worn in the middle is like a big flip flop.

i read guys going 2 years on a tire, 10-15k miles, all these other things i could only dream about. ahhhhh to not do tires every 3-5k miles would be great !! heck, my ninja 650 i can't get half the milage others can on the c14 or fjr. well, at least i still have a license with 0 points, lol. not a hammer the gas guy, but i ride spirited following "the pace", ride with the very spirited MSTA guys too.

Really? I didn't already answer that question?

how does a 190 55 improve speedo accuracy when the stock tire is a 180 55? They should be the same height but a little wider correct?

190 is the width

55 is sidewall height as a PERCENT of the width.

Therefore, the 190 tire is taller given the same profile.

(Sidewall height plus 17" rim diameter)

You should find the stock tire on the FJR runs actually about 4 MPH faster on the speedo than the GPS assuming you have one.

Dave

My PR4 190/55 made my speedo and odo dead nuts accurate. Until the tire wore down a bit of course, but it's still better accuracy than the stock 180 imo.

It aint friday yet, but looking back thru the thread, it would appear that none of you guys know about the term "aspect ratio". We will discuss gearing on Monday.. Google away

Da Wolf

............it would appear that none of you guys know about the term "aspect ratio"............
Da Wolf
mda.gif

"some" may have been a better choice of words.

Now if the topic was tail cones and other options, i would be all ears ready to learn !! heh
smile.png

according to my copious notz on the subject...

a mounted PR2 190/50 is 76 1/2 inches circumference

a mounted PR2 190/55 is 79 1/2 inches circumference

didn't measure a 180/55 prolly 'cause it was bald