Ring Free VS Ring Free Plus

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhendron

Reaction score
If I could have posted this in NEPRT, I would have. I've searched and searched (this site and elsewhere).

In the past I purchased and used Yamalube Ring Free, which states on the packaging to use 1oz per 10 gallons for maintenance and 2oz per gallon for 'shock treatment'. I recently ordered the "new" Ring Free on Amazon - Ring Free Plus. Its' packaging also states 1oz per 10 gallons for maintenance, but for shock treatment it states: "Shock Treatment: Consult your Dealer for the Yamaha Internal Engine Cleaner treatment service" AND the Ring Free Plus is reddish and darker in color than the 'old' Ring Free, so maybe they're not quite the same stuff?

Has anyone else run into this?

I half-heartedly tried to contact a service department at two Yamaha dealers here in Phoenix today and was sent to voicemail each time.

If I could have posted this in NEPRT, I would have. I've searched and searched (this site and elsewhere).
You can't start stuff in NEPRT. Aspire to not have it moved there.

I don't ever remember this thread being started actually. Hopefully, somebody in the future will search and find this one. ;)

If you feel the need to use such a product, then I'd suggest going for one of the many aftermarket brands such as Techron at half the price or less.

been using ring free for years to keep the top end clean...does it work ? who knows-never looked in there except down a spark plug hole where it was spotless.. I've never had a carbon buildup problem , meebee because of an overactive right wrist...

So, you want to know what's in that snake oil?

Here's what their MSDS sheets say:

Gas%20Additives%20Comparison.jpg

Guess the "proprietary additive" in old Ring Free didn't workout since it's not in the new.

I would guess what was the old "Proprietary Additive" is what they are now revealing is Base Oil (mixture), which is just an oil to dilute the important stuff into. The solvents are what actually does anything, and they are a much lower percentage of the total. The one that seems to show up in all of them (except Seafoam) is the Benzene, which is pretty toxic stuff.

Seafoam is the biggest joke. It's just naptha and isopropyl alcohol with a little oil in an oil base. You could make the stuff at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marvel mystery oil was the only additive I have used that made a dramatic difference in any motorcycle engine I have run. It made a huge difference in the Yamaha Roadstar 1700 cc v-Twin I had for a couple of years. Quieted down the top end with the addition of a couple of ounces per tank.

As far as the "benzene" is concerned, the 1,2,4-trimethylbenzene is a lot less harmful than unsubstituted benzene but I would not choose to bathe in it.

FYI gasoline contains something under a percent benzene (0.6%), a couple percent toluene (methylbenzene), and a percent or so of the 1,2,4 trimethylbenzene. A little more from the gasoline additive (at an ounce or two per gallon "shock" treatment) will not significantly change what is already there.

The nitrogen-containing materials (likely the "trade secret" stuff and the "imidazoline") are the only things in there that are likely to make any difference in the bulk chemical composition or properties of the gasoline.

I've been using RF plus for years in ALL my gas engines including the bike.

And yes, the SHOCK mix is 2 oz / 1 gallon. I contacted Yamaha in Ca and after awhile (marine dealer didn't know either), found the correct shock mix. As I recall, someone had an old bottle and it too had the correct shock mix% on it. The new bottle does not..

It's extremely popular in the marine world and IME, works extremely well.

It is expensive compared to Tectron (which I used to use) but the reg mix of RF is 1 oz / 10 gallons so it's much more concentrated.. vs using an entire bottle in say your cage fuel tank.

I haven't seen anything but the newer bottle.

I can attest, I work on smaller engines (weed eaters, generators, chain saws, etc) it does indeed work very well.

On a yamaha marine forum, an OP had an issue in mid throttle (idled fine, top end fine-carbed). He ran a shock amount (5 gallons at the 2100 RPM range-where had issues), and the RF, (NO OTHER CHANGES) cleared out the issue-fixed!

Post #22 specifically: https://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/forum2/yamaha-150-trxc-vibration-issue-th28109.html

Techron is widely regarded as one of the most effective fuel injection cleaners on the market. All it has in it is a few solvents, naphtha and benzene being foremost.

Seafoam gets a lot of good press. It looks like naphtha is about all it has going for it. Maybe a quart of naphtha from the paint store is all you need?

Who knows what all those low percentage proprietary secret ingredients are in RF+? Or if they do anything more than pad the profit margins of their producers and sellers?

Techron is widely regarded as one of the most effective fuel injection cleaners on the market. All it has in it is a few solvents, naphtha and benzene being foremost.
Seafoam gets a lot of good press. It looks like naphtha is about all it has going for it. Maybe a quart of naphtha from the paint store is all you need?

Who knows what all those low percentage proprietary secret ingredients are in RF+? Or if they do anything more than pad the profit margins of their producers and sellers?
I've used both over the years, Tectron being effective, but RF definitely much better, IME working on especially small engines...

Also remember, for your fuel tank (cage or x # of gallons-forgot the % mix), your using an entire can of Techtron.

RF is 1 oz / 10 gallons, MUCH more concentrated and that 32 oz container will last 320 gallons..

In the Marine world, where crappy fuel is much more damaging, clogged carbs, injectors from sitting, etc, RF is no doubt, the leader in cleaners, not Tectron.

Search on that link I post or just search the net in the marine world where the operating conditions are considerably tougher than on road vehicles..

Just my 2cts..

I know what you're saying is true, that ring free has a big following, but so does seafoam. And we can see how exotic it's make up is.

As for RF and RF+ being more concentrated, while the dosage ratings prescribed by the manufacturer support that idea, comparing percentages on their MSDS does not. At 70 - 90% "filler", base oil, it seems to be the least concentrated with solvents. I have no axe to grind there. Just making an observation.