Rejoining the group with new '16A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sullivan

Reaction score
It's been a long time since my "rare" '08AE joined the northeast crowd. The only gray unit around. Still love the YCCS paddle or toe shift. So after a lull of no bike after it got low speed rear ended, it is time to ride again.

Good news is that I stuck with you all, meaning the Yamaha won out over the silver Concours 14.

Yes, I DID want a six speed due to the buzz at 80mph+, turning 4000+.

Yes, built-in cruise versus a BMW R for several thousand more, plus none on the Kawi.

Comfort seat already ordered at cost as part of the sales deal. Will try that out in a month.

Bad news: I have the itch to pick it up Saturday but supposed to get another damn New England snow. Arghhh. Killing me. Already the 6th coldest March recently!!! Looks like I may have to.......trailer it.............as I can't wait.

Anyway, looking to renew some ride friendships, including my next door neighbors in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. You know who you are. I have photo proof from CFR08 !!

Sully in Greater Portland, southern Maine

Welcome home, Sully. Good luck with the 2016 -- I'd like to see a review after you've got some miles on it (been contemplating trading up myself).

I'm up in the Adirondacks and I feel your pain. Really like my 16 Es that I got last year but am really itching to ride.

Congratulations on the new ride. I too am feeling the pain of an extended winter! I find myself in New England a few times a year. Perhaps we will meet on the road sometime.

Hey Sully! Welcome back.

As you can see in my avatar, I upgraded from my old '05 (Bass Bote Blue) to a new hot, red one back in 2014. These new 3rd Gens are wicked nice. You're gonna like it a lot.

We haven't done any Chowder rides, or any other Bar Harbor trips in a few years now. Maybe you can set one up and see who crawls out of the woodwork?

As Mike (Big Ogre) mentioned, there will be another NERDS event up in Stowe this summer. Check out the thread and make a reservation if you are free that week(end).

Hope to see you around once the crappy weather breaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too trailered my bike home when I picked it up from the dealer in early March '09. Ice and snow still but I wanted it in the garage. U-Haul has great M/C trailers for under $30/day; low, easy to load, lots of tie down points and a wheel chock.... (not my pic)

r6_on_uhaul_trailer_front.jpg

Traitor!

I bet you're still up at the Maine lake house in the summer though, right? Who can take that Floriduh heat?

We all need to get together this summer. Need I remind you that NERDS is on?

Enjoy the new ride. Will be interested in your ride report going from AE to manual clutch.
I have to be honest. On Sunday's beautiful 50 degree day, I found myself a little rusty. Told my son on the back that I kept on wanting to left finger paddle shift. It was sooooo much easier and instantaneous with the YCCS (computer clutch control shift)

It didn't help that I had big toe clunky hunting boots on that did not like getting under the shifter. A few of the clutch actions weren't the best but I had on my touring gloves and didn't adjust the lever. Sounds like excuses to me.

Only had sand on some Prout's Neck ritzy neighborhood roads which are strictly enforced at 25mph. We should have taken pics but not allowed to pull over and do the tourist-y thing.

Sound: better, much better. Searched the forum and the only thing mentioned is the gen3 catalizer change in the exhaust. No way my 08 sounded this good. Absolutely love it, and have no needs now to buy aftermarket slip-ons.

Comfort seat on back order for two more weeks. Never tried it on last gen2

All for now.