Oil filter thread..... er part numbers, not which is best.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inlaw1

Reaction score
Don't pull the trigger on me yet! :) No, this is not another 'which oil / filter is best' topic I promise. The last two times I've bought a filter for my 06 FJR from the local Yammie dealer I get a different part number and a smaller filter with the story that the old one has been replaced. The one I took off this time had a part number of 5JW-13440-00. The filter he sold me this time has a part number of 5GH-13440-50. Upon some research online I didn't really find anything definitive, but it looks like he filter he sold me might be for an FZ.

Anyone know what the 06 FJR filter part number is supposed to be? The one I got is the right diameter and all the oil holes look to be the same, but it is smaller.

My experience with the Japanese suppliers is that the last two digits are a rev number, while the first 8 (nnn-xxxxx) are the relevant part number. With Kawi it turns out that one of the oil filter rev numbers indicated when they moved manufacturing from Japan to China.

I'd guess (with your motor's health) that everything is fine, but the -50 you got is probably made in China now....

And the FJR shares oil filter compatibility with the FZ as well as a lot of other Japanese bikes.....

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, it was discussed some time ago that the "original" FJR PN had been superseded by one that fits but is smaller/shorter. Somewhere, either. In NEPRT or in the resources area is the cross-reference to other filters that fit and are the original dimensions.

As was already stated you can easily look up part numbers on slew of Yamaha Part retailer's web sites. The oil filter is on the page for the Oil Cooler.

The part number for the oil filter on a 2006 was originally 5GH-13440-00-00.

It is currently listed as being superseded by 5GH-13440-60-00.

If you google the part number you can find places to buy them online for less than the dealerships want. $17 for an oil filter is pretty obscene.

Here's a cross reference of all of the various brands of oil filter that are supposed to be equivalent to the original part number.

Thanks for all the replies! I've tried all the parts fiche places and if you can actually find an oil filter on any of them your a better net surfer than I. They list everything else, but the closest I've seen is the oil cooler listed. Looks like I have the new part number filter and that answers my question. My dealer gives me a decent discount that puts it in the cost area of online = shipping purchase

FWIW, I happen to have this in my phone. Just in case I have to look for a filter while away from home:

O.E.M. Oil cartridge filter: Denso 115010-5980, (Yamaha equiv. P/N 5JW-13440-00)

2.5" Length Car Oil Cartridges/Filters:

Purolator Pure One PL14612

Mobil-1 M1-108

Bosch 3300

Fram PH7317

Other recommended 3.25" Length Car Oil Cartridges/Filters:

Purolator Pure One PL14610

Mobil-1 M1-110

Bosch 3323

HiFlo Filtro #HF148 Premium Oil Filter

+1 on that. I recognize that list as being the recommended filters from the CalSci web site. I've been going off that list for a long time, but putting those numbers in your phone is pure genius. I'd hate to tell you the number of times I've been at a parts store and was unsure of the number for a certain brand of filter. My "fix" was a little card in my wallet, but the phone solution is far more elegant. I should do that for my cars too.

Thanks for all the replies! I've tried all the parts fiche places and if you can actually find an oil filter on any of them your a better net surfer than I.
As mentioned previously, they hid the oil filter on the Oil Cooler page and they call it an "Element Assy, Oil Cleaner".

But the picture is the giveaway. Item # 4 here

It has been covered before but a cautionary note on the aftermarket filters. Some have been reported to leak on the FJR due to a redesign (notably the Bosch but also reported for some Purolator and other suppliers). Look at the plate where the oil filter threads are located. The old design that doesn't leak has a concave plate whereas the leaky ones are convex. The filter at the threads makes contact with the union bolt before the perimeter gasket seals properly. Look for an "innie" rather than an "outie".

It has been covered before but a cautionary note on the aftermarket filters. Some have been reported to leak on the FJR due to a redesign (notably the Bosch but also reported for some Purolator and other suppliers). Look at the plate where the oil filter threads are located. The old design that doesn't leak has a concave plate whereas the leaky ones are convex. The filter at the threads makes contact with the union bolt before the perimeter gasket seals properly. Look for an "innie" rather than an "outie".
Or simply get one of Norm's modified union bolt thingees and it won't make any difference whether it's an innie or an outie.

FWIW, I happen to have this in my phone. Just in case I have to look for a filter while away from home:
+1^ I took a pic of a post awhile ago from one of the treads here with similar info and used it not two weeks ago while travelling. Found myself in an O'Reilly's (which we don't have here) and knowing I needed a filter for home that info came in handy. (Ended up grabbing a Bosch FILTECH which I haven't heard of before. The 3323 had an innie so figured I give it a try.)

harper posted: I have found that the Bosch ST3323 is concave whereas the "new" Bosch 3323 is not.
See here, and the many posts that follow.

Last edited by a moderator: