I've reached my braking point {ABS that is}

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbjamn

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone has seen this before. I recently changed my rear tire. I mounted it back on my bike {'14 FJR ES}, and after getting everything lined up, i tightened the axle nut, everything seemed fine. I started the bike and noticed that the rear wheel wasn't spinning as it always did {Still on center stand}. I shut the bike off and tried to move the wheel, no luck, wouldn't budge even a little bit.

I thought this was odd so i took the axle back out and when i did, one of the little alignment tabs on the ABS housing fell to the ground {it must have moved just a bit and when i tightened it and tried to move the wheel, it broke off}. Bummer.

I went online and purchased a used ABS housing..installed it, confirmed it was absolutely aligned and snugged everything up and the rear wheel STILL doesn't turn.

Took everything apart about a dozen times, reassembled, followed the diagram from the manual showing correct placement of the spacer/washer on the axle. I made sure that the brake pads weren't hanging up {Cleaned and lubed}

This time when i assembled and tightened VERY slowly, i could hear something rubbing so i took it all apart again and saw some very fine metal shavings on my rim. It appears the very outermost ring of the ABS housing is hitting the small metal tabs on the rim.

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d48/jbjamn/IMG_20170424_173802_zps3dersfkl.jpg
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d48/jbjamn/IMG_20170424_173905_zpsdfxqrqts.jpg
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d48/jbjamn/IMG_20170424_173744_zpsjgqhik6u.jpg
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d48/jbjamn/IMG_20170424_173836_zpszh7kthmt.jpg

I checked and rechecked the spacer inside the drive splines, it never came out of the bike. The wheel appears to be fully seated and am unsure what is causing this. Has anyone seen this before?

Thank you in advance

I'm hoping someone has seen this before. I recently changed my rear tire. I mounted it back on my bike {'14 FJR ES} . . . .I thought this was odd so i took the axle back out and when i did, one of the little alignment tabs on the ABS housing fell to the ground {it must have moved just a bit and when i tightened it and tried to move the wheel, it broke off}. Bummer.
By any chance did it look anything like this?

IMG_20170308_195836630.jpg

Found this while doing my second tire change on the '15 ES. I thought it odd also as after removing the rear wheel who-knows how many times over the years on the '04, I've never had any issues with the ring on that bike. No idea what caused this and I had/have no issues during and after the install of the wheel but I am curious about how it might have happened.

Make sure your caliper is installed correctly. It is easy to get both pads on one side of the disk. It looks and feels right, unless you look closer. Usually, if that happens the bike makes a Hellavua noise when you hit the rear brake, but it's possible it's binding it up by putting pressure on the disk. That may account for the misalignment of your sensor plate also.

That's where I would look first.

One way or another, it is assembled wrong. As HRZ says, it is quite possible to have both brake pads on one side.

Be VERY sure you have the "washer" placed correctly - post a photo of that, please. Make sure the spacers are placed correctly.

Need more pictures of wheel assembled. The washer may be missing or on the wrong side of the brake casting. This would offset the caliper and make it jam.

Dave

Yup, I plan on it tomorrow. I came down with a case of the creeping crud and am hoping it will pass ASAP.

Thank you all for the assistance. I believe the beer tally credit board is on your side. (I'm from Wisconsin so beer is considered legal tender)

Don't think the problem is the washer. That might bind the brakes but wouldn't cause the ABS plate to hit the wheel.

There is supposed to be a spacer in the wheel hub inside of the ABS plate. It's #28 in the parts drawing I linked to above. I do not see that spacer in the photos the OP linked to of his wheel.

Without that spacer the axle would pull the ABS plate into direct contact with the alloy wheel hub. The ABS plate should only contact the spacer which hits against the right side wheel bearing. When you remove the wheel that spacer tends to stay stuck in the grease/oil seal (#4) but may have fallen out later during the tire change

Last edited by a moderator:
When you have that spacer in hand it will all make sense.

For those following along at home, this spacer is a new part for 3rd Gens. On prior Gens the spacer was built into the back side of the ABS plate.

2nd Gen ABS plate the "spacer" is built into the plate (#26)

2nd%20Gen%20Rear%20ABS%20Plate.jpg

3rd Gen Rear Wheel ABS Plate (#27) is flat on the back and you add spacer (#28)

3rd%20Gen%20Rear%20ABS%20Plate.jpg

So...stupid train station..right here. I found it.

I had purchased a MSR tire changing stand to try, and realized after about 2 minutes the sidewall of the rear tire is WAY too stiff to do it up that high, so i took it off and stored the stand away....duh, guess where the spacer was....

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d48/jbjamn/unnamed_zps33chkdbb.jpg

Once again thank you all for your help and suggestions.

unnamed_zps33chkdbb.jpg

Haha! That is awesome. I mean sorry for your anguish, but too funny that it was perched right there all along.

And best of all you'll get your bike back together ASAP. Yeah buddy!

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to laugh...i literally used the stand for 2 minutes....never touched it again. As soon as i saw the pic of the missing piece {Thanks Fred W} walked out to my garage and had to move the stand because it was near where i was searching the floor....yeah, i laughed...cussed just a bit and had it assembled so fast i may be working an Isle of Man pit crew. Thanks again all and hope to see some of you at the IBA Ride around Lake Superior this June. I'd sure like to pay back some of the beer markers to you all