Motorcycle Communication Systems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugman

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I found this review for 6 popular communicators. I found it informative and thought I would post the link here for others. They like the Cardo Scala Rider PackTalk.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have the Scala Q3 MultiSet. Even with new, fully-charged batteries, we get five hours or less communication time. This is with no music or GPS. The VOX does not work very well so we have to keep the units linked at all times.

I had the Sena 10s and they were great. Switched bikes so I thought I would upgrade to the 20s for the open mic feature. They never did work right so with some back and forth with their tech support they are boxed up and going back for warranty replacement. When they worked it was nice but became more and more intermittent until the music sharing quit. Hopefully the fresh ones have better results cause I don't want to go back to corded headsets.

Sena 20S. Great for cell phone, GPS and Music or Podcasts. Easy to connect with one other rider, every additional rider added to the mix quadruples the frustration level for me.

I had the Cardo G9 before the Sena. IMO the Sena is the superior unit.

Been using a pair of older Sena SMH-10s, and honestly, no complaints now in the heat, in the cold, in the rain.

Their batteries have not needed replacement yet, and we generally do get about 8 hrs open channel time from each day's charge.

They remain connected to up to 4 riders together up to just under 1 Km (0.6 miles) and are very reliable.

They're getting a little beat up now after 4 years, but I'm in no hurry to rush out and buy new ones - yet.

I've been happy with the quality my Sena 10u but the connecting frustrations plus trying to pair the SMH10 makes it a hassle. On the FJR, I use a wired J&M Audio and wouldn't you know it just works every time. Of course few others riders use it so bike 2 bike is compromised but at least the audio gadgets work without hassle.

My B5's have been great. They just work. No thinking involved. But I don't do a lot of pairing with groups, either. Keypad went bad after near-immersion in a freak storm. They replaced no questions asked.

They released the Sena 20S EVO.

And they now have the Sena 30K stating tha Bluetooth is limited by pairing hierarchy and daisy chains, 2.4 GHz is not. Riders with 30K are free to roam. As long as distance and line of sight is maintained, no one rider from the group can disconnect and break the connection of other riders within the group. Within 30K there are no chains.

Who likes their EVO?

Me and several of my riding friends picked up the Sena 20s last year. Honestly, the Sena is really good, until you try to connect more than 2 headsets together. Audio is great, 2-way intercom is crystal clear, phone calls, music, etc.

As soon as a 3rd unit is connected, the audio quality drops. 4+ connections, and there are problems with connections dropping, poor audio, popping and tapping noises, etc.

I would not recommend the 20s for multiple riders connecting together, which is unfortunate because that's what they were advertised to do.

I am deciding on whether I will wait it out and see if Sena is going to own up to their mistake and give something back to the disappointed 20s owners (discount on the 30k with the return of the 20s?) or not. If they don't, I don't think I will go for the 30k. The Cardo PackTalk is getting great reviews including the mesh network for multiple rider intercom.

I have a hard time with a company that has, in the past, produced great products, but doesn't own up to a major flaw in their flagship product. Even Samsung stepped up with the Note 7. Sena released a product that does not do what they say it does.

I'm on #6 or 7 for the Sena SMH10, I've bought them for friends and family. Several of them got so old (3+ years) the batteries wouldn't hold a charge anymore, but its easy to get a new $12 battery on ebay, and it's a good upgrade- 650mah instead of 560mah.
Very light soldering is required to attach the 2 wires to the old plug, direct drop-in fit.
None of them have died, and we have extra Sena speaker systems installed on our dirt bike helmets and other helmets, so they get a lot of use.

There' a FB group that's all pretty upset with their Sena 20S units, so I'm gonna stay with our tens. I just bought another one last month. They've done good by us so far.

I've been using the 20S all summer and linked up to other Sena generations with mixed results (most likely operator error).

In single user mode it's been great - last for almost 2 days of riding and charges quickly. Use it for GPS and music mainly. Take a call on it with no problems, too.

The 30K is finally out so am looking at that for the spring time and it uses the same mount as the 20S so it's plug and play.

Got the 10s and love everything except the mount. It is total garbage. Gave up on jurry rigging it and super glued it permanently. PITA but hope others buy 20 or higher with better clamping system.

Was also considering the Uclear AMP Pro but it's a Sena world.

The only thing that bugs me about Sena:

Called customer support and could swear that I was talking to someone outside of the U.S.

Anyone else experience that?

Anyway, I'm now thinking a 10S.

10S users, can you really connect to 3 other persons? Cross platform?

MLMS will install for free with purchase.

jtdunc posted, in part: The only thing that bugs me about Sena: Called customer support and could swear that I was talking to someone outside of the U.S. Anyone else experience that?
Welcome to the 21st century.

My wife and I go old school. We each have a StarCom 1 Advanced unit, GPS connected, phone via Bluetooth through the GPS, PPT button on the left grip with FRS radios in the tank bag.

Yes it is a wired solution, but we never have a problem. and we never have to worry about talk time. the radios last or 2 days on a charge. their charging base is not bigger than 2 packs of cigarettes.

Got the 10s and love everything except the mount. It is total garbage. Gave up on jurry rigging it and super glued it permanently. PITA but hope others buy 20 or higher with better clamping system.
I have a Shoei Neotec modular helmet. Will the 10S clamp on or well I be using the supplied 3M tape (or Super Glue)?