Flow matched fuel injectors - WOW WOW WOW - Radman was right

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Recently I had RC Engineering (Russ Collins, you might remember the name) clean and flow balance 12 fjr gen2 injectors. Finally got around to installing them.

What a freakingly beautiful difference!

Idle from 1200 to 1700 rpm. Instant throttle pick up. Smoother running. Better mpg. Got to thank ol Radman for the tip!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed that my well-used '07 is getting a bit buzzy. I was thinking about seeing what a throttle body clean would do along with Fred W's "advanced" TBS procedure. Sounds like a fuel injector service might be worthwhile at the same time.

Do these guys actually adjust them? - I didn't think there were physical adjustments possible although I can understand you could choose a matched set based upon measured flow properties. Mine might be worth at least a clean in an ultrasonic tank and possibly replacing the inlet filters. I don't know if there is anyone around here who specializes in injector service.

Do fuel injectors wear out??? Maybe replacement is in order?

Maybe I just need a new(er) eBay motor...

Maybe just replace the bike? (not yet!)

I have noticed that my well-used '07 is getting a bit buzzy. I was thinking about seeing what a throttle body clean would do along with Fred W's "advanced" TBS procedure. Sounds like a fuel injector service might be worthwhile at the same time. Do these guys actually adjust them? - I didn't think there were physical adjustments possible although I can understand you could choose a matched set based upon measured flow properties. Mine might be worth at least a clean in an ultrasonic tank and possibly replacing the inlet filters. I don't know if there is anyone around here who specializes in injector service.

Do fuel injectors wear out??? Maybe replacement is in order?

Maybe I just need a new(er) eBay motor...

Maybe just replace the bike? (not yet!)
Not adjustable AFAIK. Clean, measure, match. I've been told OEM spec is +/- 10%. BTW, injectors different gen 2 to gen 3..

Recently I had RC Engineering (Russ Collins, you might remember the name) clean and flow balance 12 fjr gen2 injectors. Finally got around to installing them.
What a freakingly beautiful difference!

Idle from 1200 to 1700 rpm. Instant throttle pick up. Smoother running. Better mpg. Got to thank ol Radman for the tip!
Great juuuust GREAT!! Something else to spend money on. Carver if I ever get your mailing address I'm going to send you the bill.
grin.gif

On my 2004 FJR, I cleaned the throttle bodies and it made a huge difference in smoothness. So much so that I removed the Power Commander. On my 2008 FJR, I did the same and also cleaned the injectors and again it made a huge difference. It really cleaned up the roughness and jerkiness off idle. Runs like a sewing machine now.

Redneck, I didn't pay anywhere near that.

Finally, the now-clean injectors are reinstalled on the flow-tester and run again. At the conclusion of the test, a printed report is produced. This report lists: fuel flow rates (in pounds-per-hour and cubic centimeters per minute) before and after cleaning, and spray pattern assessments for each injector tested. Also included is the "system balance" number which is the flow difference, expressed in a percentage, between the injectors having the highest and lowest flow rates amongst the lot of injectors tested. The system's total fuel delivery in lbs/hr. and cc/min along with a computation of potential horsepower at three different brake specific fuel consumption rates concludes the report.

Sent my injectors to RC Engineering last winter (2010 FJR) for cleaning and testing and couldn't tell any difference when I re-installed them. RC tests the flow rates before and after cleaning. Mine were dripping and somewhat un-balanced before and good after. The bike only had about 4K miles at the time. I think a bottle of Chevron Techron a couple times per year is all you really need. Only reason I had them cleaned was the bike had set for 5 years with old gas and I just wanted to make sure injectors were in good shape. That and I guess I had a hundred bucks I didn't know what to do with.

When I owned a Sprint Car we sent our injector nozzles and pump in each year or each time we replaced a component for flow matching and testing. Made power, established a baseline and took one more worry out of the equation.