Flow matched fuel injectors - WOW WOW WOW - Radman was right

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was mostly pump tho. If they had the slightest bit of wear, the pressure drop killed you. We got 'em rebuilt every year. Pretty hard to mess up injectors that are basically just spray nozzles for the hose. Just make sure the screens are clean (don't ask me how I know that). Experience can be an expensive teacher.

I have no doubt. Methanol is not kind to fuel systems. Those injection systems are a different kind of animal. Really elementary in a lot of ways, kind of sophisticated in others. Because they're constant flow, it's all about balancing pressure. We were never sophisticated enough to have down nozzles (I go back aways) so we just had injectors in the stacks spraying fuel on the intake valve. Mostly just hose ends (not quite but it sure seemed that way). Fuel system maintenance was a real pain in the butt, but absolutely critical if you didn't like working on engines. As long as the pressure was good, we didn't have any issues with lean or overly rich cylinders (like anyone but God could read one of those plugs anyway). Gawd, we worked hard and ate a lot of top ramen and peanut butter. But, I wouldn't trade that time of my life for anything. Thread jack over.

I have no doubt. Methanol is not kind to fuel systems. Those injection systems are a different kind of animal. Really elementary in a lot of ways, kind of sophisticated in others. Because they're constant flow, it's all about balancing pressure. We were never sophisticated enough to have down nozzles (I go back aways) so we just had injectors in the stacks spraying fuel on the intake valve. Mostly just hose ends (not quite but it sure seemed that way). Fuel system maintenance was a real pain in the butt, but absolutely critical if you didn't like working on engines. As long as the pressure was good, we didn't have any issues with lean or overly rich cylinders (like anyone but God could read one of those plugs anyway). Gawd, we worked hard and ate a lot of top ramen and peanut butter. But, I wouldn't trade that time of my life for anything. Thread jack over.
Thread Jack? Seems right on target to me.

So, before RuebenRun6, compression 170, 125, 130, 165.

After RR6, 170, 165, 160,170!

Me thinks hard running in 2nd gear and new FI's make a difference.

That was mostly pump tho. If they had the slightest bit of wear, the pressure drop killed you. We got 'em rebuilt every year. Pretty hard to mess up injectors that are basically just spray nozzles for the hose. Just make sure the screens are clean (don't ask me how I know that). Experience can be an expensive teacher.
Yep. My injectors were clogged by JB Weld from an aux fuel tank fix gone bad.