2016 battery cover removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brady

Live the Adventure, Ride the World
Reaction score
I feel dumb even asking this question but how do you take of the battery cover on a 2016? I have pulled out the two size 4 hex screws and the 2 plastic push rivets but its not budging.

On my 06 it was pretty simple but on my new 16 it is a bit more challenging. I would appreciate any advice.

No real trick to the process. Did you get it to disengage from the top of RH fairing? It kinda "snaps" apart and then carefully lifting the rear portion and it's out.

Do you have the owners manual, removal is detailed in there.

--G

in the owners manual it talks about releasing a tab. I cant locate where this tab is. it appears that the end away from the gauges is a part of side fairing.

SUCCESS!! It took a bit to figure out the catch but once I did everything else went quicker. Thanks for the help.

Seems to me I read somewhere that a guy modified that lid so he could easily remove it. Anyone remember that?
Yes....I was that guy (among others) after Yamaha came out with a replacement battery cover (or modification instructions) for the early 2013 models. It just involved not using one of the fairing screws to secure the cover and cutting off a small section of the underneath the front left part of the cover. It still was't that easy to get the cover off but a huge improvement over the original design.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for responding, have you done that mod yet on your 14? I keep wondering how many times I can take it off before I strip one of those screws. I'm always tempted to just slap a piece of tape over it.

Hi Steve,
Thanks for responding, have you done that mod yet on your 14? I keep wondering how many times I can take it off before I strip one of those screws. I'm always tempted to just slap a piece of tape over it.
Wasn't needed, the late model 13s, and all the later GEN3s have the re-designed battery cover. I could have bought a replacement cover for about $80 but being a poor (cheap) retiree, I decided to modify the old cover first and see how well it worked....and it worked fine....just like the $10 radiator guard I made out of a Office Depot wastebasket.

Last edited by a moderator:
No real trick to the process. Did you get it to disengage from the top of RH fairing? It kinda "snaps" apart and then carefully lifting the rear portion and it's out.
Do you have the owners manual, removal is detailed in there.

--G
The video shows pulling apart the rear end first. This comment says top end first. Video isn't very clear on how to separate the first piece. I monkeyed with this for 5 min and it's still not off. My first experience with the FJR build details and not impressed so far. Maybe after dinner I will try again. Just can't get the painted piece to separate from the black piece. Frustrating

On the rear area of the cover, there is a slot in the back piece and a male section that has a hook in the painted part. Side the black piece to right to unhook that end and drop the black part down to separate. if you still have problems, PM me and I will send you my phone number to discuss.

Both tabs need to disengage, front one is a challenge the first couple times!

Follow the instructions on pages 7-7 & 7-8 of your owners manual and it'll come right apart.

--G

Yes! I got it off (although something small fell on the floor when the panel finally snapped off - hoping it was some dirt!). Going to install a small push button to operate a garage door opener and this seems like a good location

...although something small fell on the floor when the panel finally snapped off...
Very possibly the captive nut on the tag at the very front of the panel, visible in the picture below. Very easy to slide it off while manoeuvring the panel out.

(Click on image for larger view)

It was actually a piece of the small tab that broke off from the front side of the panel. Doesn't seem to make a difference now that it's back on...and hey - it makes the bike lighter (and faster) right?

Last edited by a moderator: