Replacing battery on 2016 -ES (whats the trick?)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamadave

Reaction score
 So, went on a ride last week, with my handwarmers on medium. Pulled in to get gas and the bike battery was super weak. Had to get jumped.  

Turned off heated grips and rode a good 70 miles, and from then on the bike would start.  While the voltage reads about 13 VDC, and while running it reads about 14.1 VDC, I figured I would replace the 39 month old battery.  Now that my new AGM has arrived,  find I am unable to get the old battery out.  Is there a trick to get it to come out?  Do I have to remove the plastic panel under the instrument cluster (which is not shown in the Owners manual)?  Just seems like I need a few millimeters more clearance ? Don't want to break anything?  

Any advice appreciated.   

Well, I assessed the adjacent hardware/plastic/electronics in there does "give" a bit with force, ...and was able to get the old out, and insert the new.  

Holy smokes,... things are tight, and it looks scary having to disassemble further to make it easier.  

Long live the AGM unit,...and yes I keep in on a battery tender.  

Anyone else lament the challenge on battery removal on the 16's and newer?  Not fun. 

Tis the season that batteries that worked fine for the entire year, but fall on their face after a cooler autumn morning....sorry.

Yes, it helps to remove the panel under the instrument cluster.  Remove the two small Phillips set screws to the headlight adjusters CAREFULLY to not lose them into oblivion, remove the knobs, and four (if I recall correctly) allen head fasteners.  The first time feels weird as you have to pop it off from some hidden tabs that tend to be tight.  I grab those two lobes on either side of the instrument panel and pull.  With that panel off there should be just a bit more room to change the battery.

I feel your pain. Every time I remove some of the black instrument panels a tab seems to come flying off. Maybe that's why I now experience significant vibration noise/rattle around 2,500 RPM...I truly hate how Yamaha designed their panels 

After the first few times, you'll get used to the snap, crackle & pop of removing the bodywork. Living with my '15 for a few years now, I think the plastic comes off quicker / easier than the previous '09...  :unknw:

~G