Paint vs Wrap?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6393

the Vixen of Vancouver Island
Reaction score
Has anyone had their bike wrapped as opposed to painting it?

Good experience, or ???

This is very interesting to me, too. My FJR doesn't drop itself onto parking lot surfaces any longer, so I'm kinda interested in maybe covering up all the scrapes and gouges.

Barb, I've looked around, and the wrap kits for cars are custom cut; not the same for bikes. There are a few models (Gixxers and Hayabusas, maybe some H-D) that seem to have pre-cut kits, but none for FJRs that I've found so far.

I suppose you could just ride up to a custom shop (you have those in Canadia?) and start asking questions .... I mean, YOU could. I'll wait to hear what they tell you.
sleep.png

Last edited by a moderator:
A buddy of mine had a couple of his wrapped. He had a Triumph Sprint ST1050. It looked cool, and when he traded in the bike, he removed the wrap to reveal perfect paint. He had a custom shop do it, and it was around $200, maybe $250. It's been years, so I'm not sure.

Either way, it's doable, not crazy expensive, and cheaper to replace than paint. Good luck.

P.S. Let me know when you're headed down to Oregon to beat the Hell out of Ray. I think I'd like to watch that!

P.S. Let me know when you're headed down to Oregon to beat the Hell out of Ray. I think I'd like to watch that!
Me too, me too! (for the beating that is!) :whistle:

JSNS and
fuck.gif

Hugs n' Kisses

I have seen a bike done, but with crazy mofo graphics (oddly, it was an old fossil on a sportbike riding with his 20 something son). This guy had it done in Vancouver and said it was like $500cnd (like $29.95 usd)

Just curious as to how durable they are etc in real life more than anything. I just pulled my bike out of Shopzilla, and there are 4 small scratches along bottom of the tank that No-One (aka Norm) knows how they got there....

(Same guy who doesn't know where my charging pigtails disappeared to, even though he was the guy that put the new battery in last year
rolleyes.gif
)

But, I digress.

I'll check it out and let you know how it goes. I will eventually paint it I think, but for now? I think it would be fun to try.

But, NOT like this:

https://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/woman-plays-the-most-epic-valentines-day-prank-on-her-husband/85576521/

I think a hot pink log loader would be fun tho...........................................hmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe with a unicorn. Ya, definitely a unicorn

now....

I think we need to talk, about this wanting to see Ray get paddled and his apparent approval of having it done; seems to be a 'thing' around these parts.

Maybe we need a new section added to the forum? Just a thought

Barb, the good quality materials are made to last. 3M makes some top tier products if you want something printed. If you want something color changed, then it's not as durable. Typically, with printed vinyl (graphics), they are laminated with a clear, so it's got some protection. The old color change films required the laminate, but the newer color change films don't require the laminate. It's a tough call. The laminate will protect it more, but it also isn't cheap to laminate it with a high quality laminate.

Some of the solid color stuff is excellent and you can buy small amounts of it. It's expensive, but it beats buying a roll of it for $1,500. I'd suggest buying a relatively small piece (a couple sq. ft) and give it a try. With that stuff, a heat gun is your friend. Heat it up and you can make it conform into odd places or turn corners. When it's cold, it's not going to do that.

Give it a try and see if you like it and can get it done. If it doesn't work out, it didn't cost much to try, if it does work out, then you saved yourself the money of having someone install it. It's very forgiving and can be put down and pulled back up and repositioned pretty easily.

Good idea to start small....

Maybe play with the sidebags for a start. I really like the pictures up there of the matte black. My '06 FZ6 was matte black with lava red.

I had thought about maybe a classic old Yamaha yellow/white/black graphic, but now? Maybe simpler

Thanks LD