On the way home

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
I got a text from Big John months ago. Seems he was playing/working in Daytona for bike week, and was interested in stopping here on the way home to South Dakota. Awesome!!! Come on over, my friend!

I took the day off Tuesday so we could go play. With John in route, after work Monday, I stopped for groceries and started cooking. One can welcome friends here with a hand shake, but he’d have much better success doing it with a pot on top of the stove, and cold beer in the fridge.

The Redfishes arrived about the same time as John, and after Happy Hour, we sat down for a nice Cajun meal.

johnSD_18-X2.jpg

After dinner, I pulled out my assortment of fire waters and we sampled until John’s mileage pain was eased.

I woke up Tuesday morning early with a clear objective in mind. Raise John’s cholesterol by no less than 25 points in one day. So I ran to a local grocery and grab some Boudin (a meat/rice mixture incased in sausage casing) and cracklins (pig skin and meat fried in hog lard) for breakfast.

At John’s request, I ordered a fresh set of tires with our local cycle gear. About 8:30 am, we mosied to my shop for a mini-tech day.

The red horse sits and watches patiently….

johnSD_1-X2.jpg

John shipped some speed bleeders to my house and we ran the old fluid through the brakes and clutch in no time.

johnSD_2-X2.jpg

We got to Cycle Gear about 5 minutes early and they were setting up some kind of Big Boy Toy Fest.

johnSD_19-X2.jpg

With an hour to kill, I brought John to see a few sights of our city. The tire balance machine at our C/G has to be calibrated. I know this so I call my buddy Mike for a favor. We pick up some fried shrimp poboys and Mike fixes us up proper.

johnSD_20-X2.jpg

Back at my house, we mounted the new shoes and with half the day remaining, and the sun shining, we decided to go for a little ride.

johnSD_3-X2.jpg

With only a few hours to kill, I picked some of my favorite local roads to try. 25 miles in, we stopped at Rip Van Winkle Gardens to take a break.

johnSD_4-X2.jpg

johnSD_5-X2.jpg

We spotted about 10 pairs of Roseate Spoonbills roosting in a tree, but dumbass Pants forgot to bring the binocular. I got a crappy picture with my camera. These are beautiful birds.

johnSD_6-X2.jpg

Then it was back on the back roads for some more riding. I stopped in the old town of St. Martinville. This is an old house on the Bayou Teche converted to a B-n-B.

johnSD_7-X2.jpg

This is the famous Evangeline Oak, which is a tree referenced by Henry W. Longfellow in a poem. Many estimate this tree is 400 years old.

johnSD_8-X2.jpg

I caught John taking in the local history.

johnSD_9-X2.jpg

From there, we saddled up and headed toward the swamp, stopping along the way for an ice cream.

johnSD_10-X2.jpg

At the swamp levee road, we turned right for an important reason. I feel it important for my friend to test the balance and feel of his new tires. Of course the only way to do that is to run the bikes up to “going to jail” speed, and ensure no vibration. So I did my duty with pride. I’m happy to report that Mike’s balancing efforts were spot on.

We made a quick stop at Lake Fosse Point State Park to drink some water.

johnSD_11-X2.jpg

Then it was back up the levee road heading north. We had a nice time with the high speed sweepers on this lonely Tuesday afternoon.

I got a thing for bridges and this old floating rust bucket is one of my favorites.

johnSD_12-X2.jpg

We had a nice afternoon.

johnSD_13-X2.jpg

You are welcome here anytime, my friend.

johnSD_14-X2.jpg

After a quick stop for gas, and walmart for oilter/filter, we suffered through the 5 pm traffic in Lafayette. Back at my house, John changed his oil and we got cleaned up for dinner. My wife and I took John to a local restaurant that specializes in seafood.

John and I ordered seafood salads. Guess he had enough heart attack calories.

johnSD_15-X2.jpg

A local Cajun band was picking that evening.

johnSD_17-X2.jpg

We watched these people dancing a little while.

johnSD_16-X2.jpg

Back at my house, we shared a snort of my happy juice and called it a night.

The next morning at 6:30 am, my wife and I went to work, and John headed northwest for home. I followed John’s SPOT tracker for 3 days in spirit, hoping that he got home safely and was glad to learn that he did.

So my friends, this ride report comes to a close uncharacteristically without any life altering experiences or thoughts. I had a great time hosting my friend, and offer the same hospitality to any of you interested in seeing my homeland.

Stay Thirsty, my Friends….

I very much look forward to meeting you both and hopefully RFH and Pops as well in Spearfish.

It surprises, and saddens me, how I immediately recognize folks in photos, but I’ve never met them in person. I have a great job- but it keeps me from doing a lot of plan ahead stuff. Great ride report. Excellent read about excellent folks.

I wish that I could have ridden around with y'all that second day but you know, work. And life.

That was an excellent supper, you can tell by the smile on my face.

Our friend was Rolling that day. He left Daytona Beach FL that morning and was parked on the West side of Lafayette LA with daylight left. I was checking his SPOT while Pop and I were heading West and we had a serious lead on him. I was driving Pop's truck and it was his gas so I was not holding back. John caught and passed us before we got to the hppants house.

Thank you for your generous hospitality and tourist guide service. I have to report that while in your care I regained all the weight I struggled to lose while working in Daytona. Looking forward to your visit in June. My best to Miss Tammy. It was good to see Pops, and his spawn.

That table you set Pants looked to kill for, and the company looked good to. Nice report Pants thanks again.

Thank you all for reading my ride report.

B/C - I believe you and I will meet in Canada and Spearfish, no? I'm looking forward to that as well. Maybe we can get the Redfishes to join us as well.

Bill - Cav47, Poolboy, Boozer, 1911, and I are meeting at TWO in Suches this weekend. I'll be there Thursday evening and the others will trickle in Friday. Rumor even has it that Wheatie will show up on Saturday for a day trip. Come join us. I've got plenty of shampoo to pass around.

Panman - our meal Friday evening was Crawfish Etoffee', and it was decent, if I don't say so. If you've only got an hour or 2 to prepare a Cajun meal, that's a good choice. Come see me next winter. I'll plump you up proper.

John - the pleasure of having you was all mine. Of course, I wished for more time, but I was grateful for what I got. Looking very forward to the summer extravaganza in your neck of the woods. Stay safe and I'll see you soon, my friend.

Pants, No Kanuckistan for me but will be at Spearfish. Limits with vacation time and finances dictate how much fun i can have at one time and EOM is on my schedule too so no Canada trip. I really need to get a passport anyway. Never had one up to this point in life cause I never needed one before. It is on my list. Looking forward to meeting you and John and hoping the Redfish clan can make an appearance.

Latest posts