Riding a Motorcycle counts as exercise?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PigPen

Reaction score
I just got one of those Fit Bit Ionic watches. Like any new toy I have been playing around with it figuring out how everything works.

Tonight that thing recorded my commute into work on the FJR as 18 minutes of cardio averaging 120 beats per minute on a bike outdoors. Not to shabby!

Apparently riding is not as sedentary as I thought.

Let's expand on that line of thought for a moment.

I apparently get some sort of aerobic/strength/cardiovascular benefit from hoisting a cocktail or beer to my slobbering cake hole. Same goes for cheeseburgers, onion rings, and the occasional bacon-wrapped, jalapeno-stuffed grilled pheasant breast. Keep the arms and hands moving fast enough to my gob, and my heart rate stays in the beneficial zone. Win-Win, bitches!

I also have a fitbit for about 3 years now. An active day usually shows somewhere around 20,000 steps for me but a day riding on my Canam utv will show up to 30,000 steps. The key here is to stay active.

GIGO
rolleyes.gif

Race Motocross; now you're talking exercise. I don't think you'll get fit (or even stay fit) riding to work but mental fitness is another thing entirely.

I bet if you bought a Harley it would register even more steps.......Take it Lowe's or Home Depot and hook it to one of their paint shakers sometime.....

Depends on what you ride, where you ride and how you ride.

Riding my KLR on dirt roads in the mountains always burns more calories than riding the FJR on the interstate,

Then again I've had some pretty good workouts riding twisties on the FJR too.

I bet if you bought a Harley it would register even more steps.......Take it Lowe's or Home Depot and hook it to one of their paint shakers sometime.....
Reminds me when I was younger my mom bought me this fairly expensive watch for the time, a self winding Tissot. Guessing there was some wheel with a weight that wound the watch from hand movements. Wore it one day riding off road on my TS-185. It stopped working. Jewler said I over wound it.....

Riding has many benefits. Go for a 6 hour ride you can feel it. Uses core muscles and a few others.

Stress relief and mental state of mind are also important. Dirt biking will leave you sore for days.

Riding a dirt bike hard is a shit load of work. I'm just getting over being sore from a big ride on Sunday. The standing, maneuvering, and throwing the bike into turns and lifting the bars to get over stuff is exhausting.

Of course, someone already mentioned how a good day of twisties fatigues everybody. It's a different kind of tired than just droning on the freeway.

Reminds me when I was younger my mom bought me this fairly expensive watch for the time, a self winding Tissot. Guessing there was some wheel with a weight that wound the watch from hand movements. Wore it one day riding off road on my TS-185. It stopped working. Jeweler said I over wound it.....
Whew! Since you were young when your mother bought you that self-winding watch, I thought you were going to allude to over-winding it due to a "solo" exercise, if you get my drift............

(At 13, my watch would have been broken before breakfast the next morning)

Reminds me when I was younger my mom bought me this fairly expensive watch for the time, a self winding Tissot. Guessing there was some wheel with a weight that wound the watch from hand movements. Wore it one day riding off road on my TS-185. It stopped working. Jeweler said I over wound it.....
Whew! Since you were young when your mother bought you that self-winding watch, I thought you were going to allude to over-winding it due to a "solo" exercise, if you get my drift............

(At 13, my watch would have been broken before breakfast the next morning)

I was young...but not stupid. Being a right handed "player" I made sure to wear the watch on my left wrist. ;)

My Samsung Gear S2 Classic registers every commute ride as "Cycling" and gives me credit. I assume that it is calculating the movement and the lean angles to belive that I'm riding a bicycle. I guess.