Just Purchased a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT This Morning!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I test rode a Tracer as well. I also rode the FJ09. The Tracer is a big improvement. The longer swing arm, better electronics package, and adjustable suspension are great. I really want one. I miss having a lighter bike. Yes, the FJR is a splendid tourer, but I would be just fine on the Tracer. I rarely ride 2-up though.My only complaint with the Tracer was the passenger pegs. Yamaha moved them down and forward, so they contacted my boot when I had the balls of my feet on the rider pegs.
Can you just take them off?
No, not without making some type of bracket. If you take off the rear peg, you lose the bracket for the side bags. I have a size 10 boot. The rear pegs don't interfere at all. A bigger sized boot probably would, but you would get used to it. Certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker.
Yeah, it isn't a deal breaker for me either. I'm also 10-101/2. I just had to angle my feet a little differently than usual.
I got to the IMS last weekend and swung my leg over this bike. With a size 11.5 shoe I immediately felt the rear pegs and then recalled you guys talking about this. There was a rep watching and must of noticed my reaction as without any prompting by me mentioned that he's heard of people buying front peg lowering brackets to fix the issue. For me personally, I'm not sure I could adjust to the pegs the way they are.

With all the nice reviews and the FJR background I made it a point to give the Tracer a good look-see. I could be completely off-base here, and I have no objective facts to back this up, but with the industry push towards smaller, ADV/upright styled bikes, coupled with little if any changes lately to an almost 20 year old FJR, I can't help but wonder if this is poised to be the FJR's replacement at some point. I mean it even sits side-by-side with the Feej on Yamaha's website under the Sport Touring section. I did like it though, well other than the pegs and the noticeably smaller feel while sitting on it, and would definitely like to give one a ride someday.

Keep in mind that this bike is really the same bike as what was the FJ09, so this option has been around for a few years now. I’m sure that there are some subtle differences in the Tracer vs FJ, but the premise is the same: considerably lighter, smaller engine, 3 cylinders, smaller tank, better mpg, etc. There are pluses and minuses to each of the differences, so there is never a clear choice. It all depends on which features are most important to you individually.

For instance, the FJR weighs in at around 650 lbs before we load it up with all our farkles. The Tracer is about 500. That’s a significant weight difference and you would think that would automatically make the lighter bike better. But, not so fast there buddy! Having extra weight is what gives the FJR a more solid feel at high speeds and on the interstate. And a good part of that weight is as a result of the 4th cylinder and shaft drive so many feel are important.

I ride my wife's FZ-07 every now and then, and strongly agree with something FredW is saying: the FJR feels stable and comfortable at high speed on the Interstates because she's a heavy bike.

The FZ-07 and I have been on the local Interstate highways one time. That was enough. It's a really fun bike, but not meant for multiple days on the Interstate.

Hey Jeff, Have you had a chance to take her out on the freeway yet? I'm asking about high speed stability.

As you know I bought a FJ 09 last year and I am not all that thrilled with it.

Running thru the twisties with it at , let's say a spirited pace, she's great. She is everything that my 07 FJR is not.

The FJ 09 , handels, brakes, and excellerates, a lot more like my race bikes then the FJR. But riding on the freeway down and back to SEO is not fun at all.

The front end seems very light and not planted at all, especially at higher speeds. On windy days or when passing trucks it is down right scary. It is so uncomfortable that I

find myself riding the FJR more and more.

As it stands right now, I'm about half and inch from trading the FJ 09 in for an MT 09 GT.

If you don't mind, What did it set you back?

Ray, I sent you a much more informative PM. In short, my ride down to EOM from Pittsburgh was a joy. Highway riding is very comfortable and confidence inspiring. Also the riding position is better than the FJR because of more leg room and less knee bend.

I'm a solo rider as my wife has her own bike. The Tracer GT is a great solo rider bike. For long distance riding 2 up, a heavier bike would be a better choice. Long distance solo riding is comfortable and enjoyable on the GT. The longer swing arm on the Tracer makes it a more stable bike than the FJ 09. Gray Ray also confirmed this to me in a PM.

After riding the GT for an extended period of time and the jumping on the FJR, it's obvious that the riding position on the GT is superior. The Tracer is a tall bike. Trevor at 5'8" and me at 5'10" both find it easier to mount the bike with the handlebars turned all the way to the right. No problem for even Trevor to mount the bike using this method.

Another thing that's obvious when riding the FJR after the GT is that the GT is quicker with amazing throttle response especially in "A" mode. The FJR has smooth power which isn't as fast to respond to a turn off the throttle. I find myself riding in "B" mode for touring and commuting. "B" mode is the lowest of the 3 levels of throttle response. There's A, STD, and B. In A mode, the bike is most exhilarating.

The bike may not be for everybody, but for me it's the most fun I've had on a bike. The suspension is night and day from the FJ 09. Fully adjustable front and rear (manually of course).

The Tracer GT gets the FJRPittsburgh seal of approval. I'm also fortunate enough to be able to keep my FJR AE. The two bikes are very different, but both are amazing bikes.

Guys, its an FJ-09. They just changed the name. Nobody was making these kind of assertions about the previous model. Its a lightweight day rider, not a transcontinental mule like the FJR. Congrats on the purchase. Have fun with it.
And dont take any crap from these D-bags who have never played golf except at the local putt-putt. It is a great and challenging game, and good exercise if you walk the course. Screw them if they cant appreciate it. Theyre probably too uncoordinated to play well anyway.

Right Fred. It's an updated FJ-09 with about a 2.5" extension of the swing arm and all the bells and whistles. It's not a heavy beast like the FJR, but I certainly wouldn't have any trouble touring on it. Riding 2 up for an extended trip would be pushing the weight limit of 395 pounds. I don't tour 2 up, so it's a great machine for my touring style. It sure is a sweet bike and I will tour on it after adding a top case and a GPS.
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring/models/tracer-900-gt

As for golf, it's a thinking man's game. So there you have it.
smile.png
I've never golfed, except at local puttputt. If I was a golfer and rider, or golfer and private pilot, I'd load up my clubs and ride/fly to here https://goo.gl/maps/u2sPLxPPWqn