The FJR's Lifespan?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOgre

Reaction score
Earlier this year there was the annual thread speculating about the release of the 2019 FJR. Not only might it be described as underwhelming, but there was also some head-scratching about what seemed like a delayed announcement. (See here.) Before that, back in August but still getting active posts to this date, was a thread by a Forum member telling of his purchase of a Tracer 900 GT. In there of course were some comparisons to the FJR, including myself who pondered if this might be its replacement someday. (See here.) And then just a few moments ago I read of Suzuki's anticipated announcement of their discontinuance of the Hayabusa which (sadly) had me seeing some similarities with the FJR. (See here.) Their reason for dropping that bike was laid solely on the Euro 4 and 5 standards which got me to reading. Below is just a few links to the many articles I came across. What do you all think?

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/what-euro4-is-and-why-it-should-matter-to-you

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/january/mcn-plus---emissions-impossible-what-euro-4-really-means/

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/bikes/what-does-euro4-really-mean

I don’t think they’re anywhere near dropping the fjr. Not even close. But in the very unlikely event they did, I wouldn’t miss a beat. I’d keep riding an old one or, more likely, switch to a Tenere.

I think the FJR is getting long in the tooth and the market, at least in the US, is leaning towards other machines. It is expensive to keep updating the existing machine and there really isn't much that needs to be done to the existing FJR to improve it. So, my guess is that it will remain relatively unchanged for a while until sales fall off to the point where it is no longer profitable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Yamaha has given us everything that was whined about in the past - 6th gear, cruise, ride modes, TCS, LED lighting, electronic suspension.....I think any more you start getting into Gold Wing territory. Agree, the price point, performance, and reliability are hard to match. Tweaks are always on the horizon. I think they've probably recouped their initial investment by now.

It would be interesting to see where FJR sales are currently in Europe and the trend of that over the past decade. When I went to France/Italy/Spain, I saw very few liter bikes and by far the MOST were 250 cc.

Regardless, I think there's a reason we haven't seen much in the way of R&D for the FJR over the past 5 years, perhaps with the sole exception being the 6th gear. Shoot - this year, we don't even get a new color. Just slap a new VIN on a leftover '18 chassis and call it a '19. I think it doesn't have much to do with the fact that the bike is darn near perfect to us (it is). It's because we are past the beginning of the end. The market for expensive liter bikes is with the adventure chassis. Sport touring is dead.

And to an extent, motorcycling in general is dying. My kids' generation isn't interested and proportionately considering cost v/s cargo and people capacity v/s fuel consumption and cost to operate, etc., motorcycles are HUGELY friggin expensive. And value drives the young adult transportation market. And the expensive, luxury, sporty, EXPENSIVE top of the line transportation market is driven by older peeps with money, who get their brand loyalties over a lifetime of buying and operating the entry level models. Toyota to Lexus. Ford to Lincoln. Chevy to Cadillac. RD350 to FJR1300.

No?

Until the release of the '19, I had hope. But thereafter, I was strongly discouraged. And now this emissions issue with the competition already showing it's hand (Busa)? This is like trying to sell a blind mule.....

She noooooo looka good......

My vote is with Geezer and FJRFlyer: the FJR is a highly sophisticated motorcycle. It doesn't need significant re-design, just annual refinements to keep up with the small number of competing bikes. (Sixth gear addition is an exception.) Yamaha can continue to sell modest numbers of FJRs without significant R&D expenditures.

If that's true, it sounds like a slow, painful sunset is coming. New buyers want flash and sexy and technology. If the gently-refined FJR doesn't provide those elements, it's sales numbers will continue to fall. Yamaha could easily find itself with a GREAT bike that's simply not appealing to young or new riders.

For example, how many young or new riders are lusting after something like this? It's the polar opposite of an FJR.

FJR fulfill Euro 4 requirements.
This is great to hear and is actually what got this thread started. I went looking around to find out if the FJR specifically was Euro 4 compliant and came up empty.

Now before I go any further let me say that I truly hope the FJR sticks around. I really like the bike, especially for the how and when and where I personally use it. When it came time to replace my '04 I didn't seriously consider any other bike and today if my '15 needed to go I'd still feel the same way. With that said I'll also acknowledge that I'm cynical by nature. I've also been accused often of reading waaay too much into things. Just wanted to get that out before throwing more thoughts into this discussion.

Ok, so now knowing the FJR meets the Euro 4 standard, I'm curious if the changes made to the 2016 model (Gen IV) were done mainly to meet the 2017 deadline for existing models. Yeah, it's nice to think that manufacturers want to give their customers what they clamor for and to keep up with the competition and all that but that may or may not be the driving factor. Was the six speed tranny and slipper clutch introduced because the riders wanted it or were such things needed to meet the more stringent testing requirements? IE does that sixth gear impact the emission numbers at higher speed? And how much quieter did the bike become overall, another testing requirement, with the new designs? How about any other changes under its hood that generally get overlooked by us? Yamaha marketing may tell us that these are things that refine the bike and keep it on the cutting edge, giving us the bike that we desire. But it may be it's the standards which tell Yamaha that these are the things they need to do.

Either way though that's in the past and we got a better bike out of it. Good for us. But just for fun, and with Winter and PMS coming on, I started wondering about the FJR's future. Right now if I had to guess, and I do mean Guess, I'd speculate that we're soon to see a big change. The tougher Euro 5 requirements take effect in 2020. I'm not sure a 20 year old platform can be made to meet them although that's truly an ASSumption. Still I'd say the bike is in for a major make-over along the lines of the Goldwing or Harley's future offerings. Either that or we'll see Yamaha give it's iconic bike an honorable send-off, similar to the 'Busa or KLR, while marketing it's replacement at the same time. Hell maybe we'll even get a specially painted FE version as they use up the inventory.

Then again, bureaucracies change and so do regulations.
unsure.png

Kebo - could you cite your source for confirming the FJR meets Euro 4 standards?

Also, can anyone offer a reputable link that concisely compares the differences between the Euro 4 and Euro 5 standards?

Thanks, Kebo.

As indicated above by Mr. Ogre, it would appear that the Euro 5 standard is based on 3 "modules", a term that I've seen repeated enough to suggest that it is intentional:

- Exhaust emissions

- hydrocarbon emissions

- Noise emissions.

OEMs will deal with have to deal with Exhaust/HC by improving the combustion efficiency of the motor, and it would appear that a simple way to start is by hanging a 5-gallon bucket on the end of the exhaust pipe. Vapor recovery systems will be improved. The motor will have to run a lot hotter. This is likely sparking a new JASO standard for M/C lubricants.

I found a lot of tie for the Euro 6 standard to the VW computer shenanigans. The new tests will eliminate a lot of that. Euro 5 came before the VW issue.

I'm intrigued...

Much as I would love to have a new FJR the changes that have occurred since the introduction of the Gen 3 bike simply haven't been enough for me to force open my wallet just yet. I came really close in 2014 and test rode one and even sat down with the salesman and began crunching the numbers. Being completely honest more than anything it was the Candy Apple Red color that attracted and tempted me more than anything. I'd really love to have electronic cruise control. The ES suspension would be awesome. 6-speed transmission, sign me up! The new LED lighting, hell yeah! So why haven't I pulled the trigger yet? Color. Pretty dumb reason not to buy a new bike isn't it? Don't get me wrong the Liquid Graphite of the '15s is nice. The 2016 blue? Nice but the color was used before and while I like it enough it's just not for me. 2017 Black and 2018 Matte Blue? For me, pass. I love the look of a clean black vehicle yet lack the desire to maintain it's appearance to the level I would want to see. The matte finish reminds me too much of my time working for a Harley dealership when their new matte paint was all the rage.

For now my paid off 2007 in that wonderful Black Cherry will have to suffice. I just hope before they ever discontinue our beloved steed they offer a yellow/white/black Kenny Roberts livery just one time and make me go back into debt.

Just as an emissions data point, my UK 2018 has a charcoal canister à la California, my 2014 did not. Presumably to meet the later EU specs.