Something has changed -vibration wise...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BentAero

Reaction score
When I first started riding my '07A, it was glass smooth and I was having no hand numbness problems whatsoever. (this was a real problem on my ST1300)

I now have 5,600 miles on it, and about 500-800 miles ago, my right hand has started to go numb, progressively sooner into each ride.

Literally only 10 miles down the highway my right hand has started to go numb. Same grips, coat, gloves etc. Nothing changed in that regard.

The odd thing is, the bike itself (handlebar, gas tank, etc.) still feels very smooth. Normally I can 'touch' the handlebar on any given bike with a finger and 'feel' the vibration at a given rpm, but the bar only has a micro vibration, almost imperceptable to the touch.

What gives? Is this a characteristic of the throttle bodies needing synchonization? (it's never been done) BTW, engine runs great, gets 44-ish mpg, so I've had a sort of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality on the TBS.

FWIW, I retrofitted a set of ST1300 handlebar weights (they weigh over 4X as much as the stockers) to the Feejer 5,000 miles ago, but it didn't seem to make any difference. I did this just to see 'what if', not because I felt it was needed.

Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bikes fine, replace the hand. Not covered by ins. Next!

Doc rad, Limbology Dept.

Do a TBS (yourself). I say yourself because you'll do it better than a shop unless you personally know the mechanic very well and he's meticulous.

Rad may not be joking. Hands going numb for *no apparent reason* ain't something to take lightly. A friend of mine years ago complained of numb fingers after driving for a while. Thought it was her POS Saab motor sending vibes into the wheel. One day I got a call from her hubby... Stroke hit her. Turns out the numbness was a warning shot ignored.

On the other hand, it could just be a TBS is needed and double check the torque on the motor mounts.

Are you using a throttle lock of some kind? Because of the stiff return spring on the FJR some people grip the throttle harder than they think.

Hello,

I am no expert on FI or the FJR(yet) but I think that the TBS will only affect idle quality. More than likely will not have any affect on running speeds or vibration conditions. I have also encountered low mile numbness, but it is only in my right hand. I feel it is due to ergonomics AND stiff throttle return spring issues. I have no such problems when riding my other bike/s.

I plan to perform some of the listed throttle "fixes" posted here on the site. Hopefully the changes will cure my problem as I enjoy the FJR immensely other than this problem.

Good luck and ride safely.

My '05 had a TBS done at 6k miles. At 16k miles it was getting kinda buzzy under the butt whenever I gave her some gas. With a new baby at home I didnt have time to do all the work myself so asked the dealer to perform most of the 16k mile service....TBS and new set of tires and its smooth as butter now....cant say for sure it was the TBS cause the Azeros were cupped so badly but no buzz now!

Added to Christmas list for 2007: Morgan Carbtune 2

Thanks for the info guys (except Radman :p )

One thing I forgot to mention was that I put a G2 throttle tube on it at about the 500 mile point, but maybe I need to do the spring cutting as well.

New tires are going on today, so maybe that is part of it as well. I'll report next week.

One thing I forgot to mention was that I put a G2 throttle tube on it at about the 500 mile point, but maybe I need to do the spring cutting as well.
New tires are going on today, so maybe that is part of it as well. I'll report next week.
The G-2 throttle tube will change the application of throttle application in regards to the rotation of the throttle grip. It doesn't affect the effort required. Try releasing the main throttle spring and let us know. I again highly suggest a throttle lock of some type. Its amazing how nice it feels to move your hand from the grip and stretch your digits and wrist.

I did the spring fix first thing and it made a world of difference. TBS was next and it got rid of most of the lag at first throttle turn and made the bike smooooooth as silk. G2 is next. Still don't like the jerky feel of the throttle. I found my hand going numb only after an hour or so. Throttle Miester works for that. Any chance to relax the arm and hand and it makes for an easy ride.

Pay attention next time you drive to how often you move around on your steering wheel. You'll be suprised. Hold you hands on the wheel in the same place for 30 minutes and you'll get tired of that too.

Rad may not be joking. Hands going numb for *no apparent reason* ain't something to take lightly. A friend of mine years ago complained of numb fingers after driving for a while. Thought it was her POS Saab motor sending vibes into the wheel. One day I got a call from her hubby... Stroke hit her. Turns out the numbness was a warning shot ignored.
Rode over 400 miles on Fri and Sat, much of it great twisteez. Unfortunately, my hand numbness was pretty severe. Sat morning woke up at 3:30 am with what *might* have been a mild heart attack. Stubborn me, I let it pass and went back to bed. The more I think about, there are too many symptoms aligning together to ignore it. So... The EKG happens tommorrow (Thurs) at 10:00 am. We'll see...

On an unrelated note, the Conti Road Attack tires are simply AWESOME! If I had known what a difference they were from the Bridgestone 020's, I'd have thrown the Stones' away a month ago. I test rode an '05 last year for 200 twisty mountain miles that had Metzeler M3's on it, and it now feels like that bike did. What a difference!

Rode over 400 miles on Fri and Sat, much of it great twisteez. Unfortunately, my hand numbness was pretty severe. Sat morning woke up at 3:30 am with what *might* have been a mild heart attack. Stubborn me, I let it pass and went back to bed. The more I think about, there are too many symptoms aligning together to ignore it. So... The EKG happens tommorrow (Thurs) at 10:00 am. We'll see...
On an unrelated note, the Conti Road Attack tires are simply AWESOME! If I had known what a difference they were from the Bridgestone 020's, I'd have thrown the Stones' away a month ago. I test rode an '05 last year for 200 twisty mountain miles that had Metzeler M3's on it, and it now feels like that bike did. What a difference!
Atta boy, get in there and have it looked at. No sense in messing with the ol' ticker. Hope it goes well.

EKG was fine, no heart issues. Doctor said from the symptoms I described, my body had triggered the Vestal/Vegal nerve -which acts just like a heart attack. May never happen again, may happen again tonight. No real cause or cure.

He went on to say that I definately had a pinched nerve that was causing the hand numbness and I should go see a Chiropractor.

It just so happens that I have a motorcycling friend who is a Chiro. He says he can "fix the hand".

First 'adjustment' was yesterday. We'll see.

Have to agree and a common problem with sportbikes, sporttourers etc, is one grips the bars too tight most unknowingly and the numb hands, wrists occur. Loose grip equals mo beta. PM. <>< :D

Hi BentAero

Glad the ticker ain't broke.

You might be surprised how much a TBS will improve the smoothness of your bike. When you ride a bike daily the drop in performance/smoothness happens so gradually that you really don't notice it.

The procedure is very easily done.

I use a Twinmax synchronizer, and the job takes less than 1/2 hour. Some of the folks here are not fond of the Twinmax, it is a bit pricey, but I find it very easy to use and store.

Zoltan

Thanks for your tips guys,

I'll be out of town and unfortunately, away from the bike for the next 10 days, but when I get some time, I'll be doing the spring mod and doing my own TBS -w/ info learned on this great forum!