Frey-Daytona Spirit XCR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuttle1988

Reaction score
Although I have been lurking on this forum for quite some time, this is my first post. So be gentle.

I've gotten lots of great information from these forums and until now didn't think I had much to add. But, I am so excited by the new boots I received earlier this week, I just had to pass it along.

First, a little background. I live in Arizona and as you might guess it gets hot here. I've had a pair of BMW boots for over ten years. Just basic all leather touring boots - and not waterproof. To me any Gore-Tex (or similar) lining makes the boots too hot for summer riding. A couple of weeks ago I rode out to Bill Mayer to have a saddle made (a story already told by many others, but I have to say fantastic, do it if you can) and my trusty BMW boots finally gave up the ghost. The soles detached from the uppers.

The first thing I discovered is that it's pretty hard to find a quality leather boot that does not have "waterproof/breathable" lining. One of the few I found was the Frey-Daytona Road Star. More than I wanted to spend, but considering I only buy boots every 10 years, I gave Helimot a call. Also, I'm not a big fan of buying anything I cannot try on first.

Helmut Kluckner (I believe he owns Helimot) answered the phone and he confirmed the GoreTex boots would be hotter. Since he sells both types of Road Star's, I figured he shouldn't be biased.

He then went on to say that they just started to import a new model, the Daytona Spirit XCR. It has perforated leather panels and does have a "waterproof/breathable" lining, but it's the new GoreTex XCR which is supposed to breathe much better than the older type. He said it really works and that these boots should be perfect for my needs with the advantage of being waterproof. He said to try them and as long as I kept them in "as new" condition I could return them if I didn't like them.

7a_spiritxcr.jpg

I ordered the boots and got them earlier this week. They are fantastic. The Frey-Daytona quality is superb. The leather is some of the best I've ever seen, stitching perfect, etc. I put them on, wore them around the house and then outside in +110F heat. Guess what, my feet didn't roast. They are probably cooler than my old BMW boots. The fit is perfect for me, very comfortable. My feet are slightly wide, 9E, and I often don't have enough room on the toe-box but these give me plenty of room. They are a size 42 which Helmut recommended.

Anyway, if you are looking for a pair of quality all leather summer boots, take a look at the Frey-Daytona Spirit XCR. A little spendy, $350 and change shipped, but if I can get 10 years out of them, probably worth it.

The boots are not listed on Helimot's web site, but you can see them on the Frey-Daytona German web site which is also in English. Clickey

I'm not associated with Frey-Daytona or Helimot in any way, but it's just so rare that when you get something, it's even better than expected and the people you deal with are honest and friendly.

Although I have been lurking on this forum for quite some time, this is my first post. So be gentle.
I've gotten lots of great information from these forums and until now didn't think I had much to add. But, I am so excited by the new boots I received earlier this week, I just had to pass it along.

First, a little background. I live in Arizona and as you might guess it gets hot here. I've had a pair of BMW boots for over ten years. Just basic all leather touring boots - and not waterproof. To me any Gore-Tex (or similar) lining makes the boots too hot for summer riding. A couple of weeks ago I rode out to Bill Mayer to have a saddle made (a story already told by many others, but I have to say fantastic, do it if you can) and my trusty BMW boots finally gave up the ghost. The soles detached from the uppers.

The first thing I discovered is that it's pretty hard to find a quality leather boot that does not have "waterproof/breathable" lining. One of the few I found was the Frey-Daytona Road Star. More than I wanted to spend, but considering I only buy boots every 10 years, I gave Helimot a call. Also, I'm not a big fan of buying anything I cannot try on first.

Helmut Kluckner (I believe he owns Helimot) answered the phone and he confirmed the GoreTex boots would be hotter. Since he sells both types of Road Star's, I figured he shouldn't be biased.

He then went on to say that they just started to import a new model, the Daytona Spirit XCR. It has perforated leather panels and does have a "waterproof/breathable" lining, but it's the new GoreTex XCR which is supposed to breathe much better than the older type. He said it really works and that these boots should be perfect for my needs with the advantage of being waterproof. He said to try them and as long as I kept them in "as new" condition I could return them if I didn't like them.

7a_spiritxcr.jpg

I ordered the boots and got them earlier this week. They are fantastic. The Frey-Daytona quality is superb. The leather is some of the best I've ever seen, stitching perfect, etc. I put them on, wore them around the house and then outside in +110F heat. Guess what, my feet didn't roast. They are probably cooler than my old BMW boots. The fit is perfect for me, very comfortable. My feet are slightly wide, 9E, and I often don't have enough room on the toe-box but these give me plenty of room. They are a size 42 which Helmut recommended.

Anyway, if you are looking for a pair of quality all leather summer boots, take a look at the Frey-Daytona Spirit XCR. A little spendy, $350 and change shipped, but if I can get 10 years out of them, probably worth it.

The boots are not listed on Helimot's web site, but you can see them on the Frey-Daytona German web site which is also in English. Clickey

I'm not associated with Frey-Daytona or Helimot in any way, but it's just so rare that when you get something, it's even better than expected and the people you deal with are honest and friendly.
Very nice first post, and I'm interested. Keep us posted as you get some wear time on those boots?

Welcome to the forum. There is lots of great information here. Don't have to ask too many questions all the time, most have been answered at some point in time :) . That is pricey for a pair of boots, but if they work, who can complain.