Missing Screw

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprint_st

Reaction score
As one illustrious member of this forum once said, nothing ever hits the ground on an FJR. While putting panels back on the screw that retains the headlight adjusting knob fell into the bowels of the Blue Beast. Does anyone know the size of one of those screws? Anyone know a field expediency fix for replacing them? Probably going to have to order the knob but it's worth a shot opening it up to the forum.

As one illustrious member of this forum once said, nothing ever hits the ground on an FJR. While putting panels back on the screw that retains the headlight adjusting knob fell into the bowels of the Blue Beast. Does anyone know the size of one of those screws? Anyone know a field expediency fix for replacing them? Probably going to have to order the knob but it's worth a shot opening it up to the forum.
Sprint, take the screw from the other side of the adjuster and go shopping. :rolleyes:

Sprint, take the screw from the other side of the adjuster and go shopping. :rolleyes:
Excellent suggestion. Only one problem, the freekin' threads are so small you really can't be sure. I do have the part number now and will order a couple on Monday because I WILL lose another one. I do know where one is at, inside my tupperware :angry: I spent two hours and had almost my whole front end torn apart the last time a dropped a nut.

I figured it would be no big deal to find the screw size for you, boy was I wrong! I went to the Yamaha parts section and pulled the headlight assy, I found the screws, but all they supply you with is their part number, not the size of the screw itself. I then tore through my repair manual, this time I found part numbers for everything but the screws? I tried for you but came up empty handed, sorry.

The same thing happened to me when I blew a fuse and started looking for the cause, I had to remove two of the panels in order to get a decent view of what was going on, when I started to take them apart I not only lost the screw but when I tried to remove the headlight adjuster from the panel the plastic piece that goes between the adjust cable and knob, that broke too(actually I believe it was already broke, all I did was try to take the nut off but it kept spinning, the plastic shaft itself was split). I ordered the plastic piece from Yamaha for a couple of bucks, the screw I had in my spare screw bin which isn't marked either. After I lost the first screw I used a magnetic phillips head screwdriver, the screw tried to fall when I put it back together, but the magnetic driver held it steady for me.

If I had the bike here I'd take one out and find the size for you, but the bike is in the shop right now.

As these screws are a pain in the buttox, I'm going to get several more for a rainy day. Good Luck and Ride Safe. C1

I've got plenty of screws loose... but if I lose one my shrink usually finds it and mails it back.

(ducking outta the way)

I've got plenty of screws loose... but if I lose one my shrink usually finds it and mails it back.
(ducking outta the way)
Me too :lol: I shudda played the lottery last night. I opened the inner panel just under the horn and guess what I found? :yahoo: I'm still going to order a couple, like I said, I'm gonna lose more.

Thanks for the replies.

actually I believe it was already broke, all I did was try to take the nut off but it kept spinning, the plastic shaft itself was split
You're probably right. When I swapped the panels on my bike, the silver bike (my donor) was just built, and also had that white plastic piece broken (most techs will never be as careful as us). Since I was doing the swap at the dealer, I obviously used mine instead.

What really pisses me off is the fact you CAN'T tighten the nut to a broken part, so why the f*** doesn't the tech say something?? When an owner finds out, like you did, no dealer will believe it wasn't you.

Just wanted to make the comment because I'm afraid many will find the same problem when they take their panels apart. Sorry it happened to you. Later.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
I dropped one of these myself the other day. Yamaha services these separately, and they cost $0.55 each IIRC. I ordered three, figuring that would keep me in stock for about 6 months.

Dick Frederick

Just find the nut that fits the screw, which is what I do at the local Ace Hardware. You then know the size and pitch and can go from there.