So I got my R&G sliders in hand . . .

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
I got a set of R&G sliders from SR71 on the FS forum. They're just like he said, brand new, never installed. Perfect! Previous owner of my bike had already drilled the fairings because he'd mounted highway pegs of some kind at the engine bolts. I figure I've got it made, not even gonna have to pull the fairings, find the drill point, anything. Just remove the factory bolt, stick the sliders in, I'm done.

Not so fast, Tex. That bolt's got a funny head on it. 9mm fits loose, 10 won't go in. Shit, it's 3/8"! How'd that get in here?

And now when it comes out, it's got gi-normous threads on it!

slider2wj9.jpg

Apparently Mr. Previous Owner heli-coiled the engine mounts!! I don't know if he had to do that to put on the pegs he used, or if he eff-d up the threads during the install. I didn't compare the other engine bolts as I hadn't pulled the fairing, but looking at some reference pictures I took for some previous work, these bolts ARE different from the rearward lower bolts.

I'm assuming I can find an SAE bolt about the right length and still get these sliders on and cover up the fairing holes. Any of you engineering types see a problem that I don't?

I just thought of one myself. I didn't check if that bolt will even go through the sleeve in the slider. I'll be back in a minute. . .

***** Goes outside, pulls the suspect bolt, takes sleeve from slider and tests fit *****

Well, shit!!!! SAE bolt won't go into the sleeve of the slider. Not even close. Sleeve would have to be about half the wall thickness at best. I could bore the slider and fit a bigger sleeve (I have a jig for the drill press that would keep it centered) assuming I could even find a tube to make it from, but now I'm getting into too much re-engineering I think. I really want these things on there, though. My fairings are already drilled and it would be great to cover the holes with something useful. Sliders on brackets (no-drill) won't serve that purpose.

Thoughts??? Any engineering types with suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a set of R&G sliders from SR71 on the FS forum. They're just like he said, brand new, never installed. Perfect! Previous owner of my bike had already drilled the fairings because he'd mounted highway pegs of some kind at the engine bolts. I figure I've got it made, not even gonna have to pull the fairings, find the drill point, anything. Just remove the factory bolt, stick the sliders in, I'm done.

Not so fast, Tex. That bolt's got a funny head on it. 9mm fits loose, 10 won't go in. Shit, it's 3/16"! How'd that get in here?

And now when it comes out, it's got gi-normous threads on it!

slider2wj9.jpg

Apparently Mr. Previous Owner heli-coiled the engine mounts!! I don't know if he had to do that to put on the pegs he used, or if he eff-d up the threads during the install. I didn't compare the other engine bolts as I hadn't pulled the fairing, but looking at some reference pictures I took for some previous work, these bolts ARE different from the rearward lower bolts.

I'm assuming I can find an SAE bolt about the right length and still get these sliders on and cover up the fairing holes. Any of you engineering types see a problem that I don't?

I just thought of one myself. I didn't check if that bolt will even go through the sleeve in the slider. I'll be back in a minute. . .

***** Goes outside, pulls the suspect bolt, takes sleeve from slider and tests fit *****

Well, shit!!!! SAE bolt won't go into the sleeve of the slider. Not even close. Sleeve would have to be about half the wall thickness at best. I could bore the slider and fit a bigger sleeve (I have a jig for the drill press that would keep it centered) assuming I could even find a tube to make it from, but now I'm getting into too much re-engineering I think. I really want these things on there, though. My fairings are already drilled and it would be great to cover the holes with something useful. Sliders on brackets (no-drill) won't serve that purpose.

Thoughts??? Any engineering types with suggestions?
Look at the hole real close, he may have just tapped the hole to the larger coarse thread. Then check helicoil sizes you maybe able to helicoil back to metric or use an insert.

Air cooled VW engines use inserts on the engine case for the cyl head studs. Things like 14mm od with 10mm id and 12mm od with 8mm id. You have options if you can get them in the hole.

Another thought would be a stepped stud if you can get a nut in the slider. Or make new bushings for the sliders to fit the american bolts might be easier.

All depends on skills and tools available.

I didn't think about a stepped stud. If I can find one, that would be easiest. Fits the larger engine threads, thin enough to go through the slider. There's room in the recess for a nut, as the bolt that came with it takes a 19mm socket.