Front Brake Lever Pulsing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirryan

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been searching for info. on this for a while and can't seem to find what I'm looking for, although I thought I might have read on this topic before.

My front brake lever ('06 A) is pulsing under medium pressure. It feels as if the ABS is being kicked in, however, there is absolutely no reason for it to be activating. This is also an intermittent problem, and has been going on for a long time. There is no loss of braking force, just a pulsing feel from the front lever, that, when happening, does not stop until the lever is released and re-applied.

I have checked the rotors with a dial indicator, and all is o.k. I have also used the ABS, and know what that feels like and what has to happen to engage it.

Thanks for ideas and help.

p.s. Just installed "poor man's" driving lights (ff50's with gerauld's brackets) and am lovin' it!!

You might want to pull the pads, check for glazing (and while they're out anyway) resurface them with some emery cloth (on a flat surface) and give the pad a new exposed surface. You might also want to make sure your rotors have no foreign (slippery) contaminants on them and give them a good cleansing with some brake cleaner (use a clean rag so you don't have to spray that stuff all over (and around) your wheels and plastic).

These bikes are shipped with sinter pads. I had the same thing when I road in Phoenix @ 104f last spring. The ABS would kick in under moderate pressure. It doesn't do it cold. The pads grab more as they heat up. If you track the FJR you may also experience the ABS at lighter brake pressure.

Nothing to worry about, unless it does it when the brakes are stone cold (just started riding after sitting for a few ours).

A couple of us early 06ers had the front master cylinder's replaced for bleeding off pressure, I have not heard of a pulsing issue?

i had this problem pretty much from day 1 with with my brand spanking new 2006A. Poked around the front for a while and decided nothing was about to fall of. Mentioned it to my largely-useless local yamaha dealer when it went in for its first service and they claim they checked it over and found nothing wrong. But it still pulsed from time to time. so in the end i just took the pads out, cleaned them and the rotors with white spirits, and put it back together. That was about 8 or 9 months ago and the problem hasn't repeated itself since.

Hi All,

My front brake lever ('06 A) is pulsing under medium pressure. It feels as if the ABS is being kicked in, however, there is absolutely no reason for it to be activating. This is also an intermittent problem, and has been going on for a long time. There is no loss of braking force, just a pulsing feel from the front lever, that, when happening, does not stop until the lever is released and re-applied.
I sometimes get that on my 04 with ABS. It has had me wondering a few times. But it still stops nice and true. And it doesn't happen all the time. Not going to lose sleep over it.

I would also say that it didn't show up right from day one... maybe after a year or two.

Now thinking about it I not sure if it ever happened with the OEM brake pads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses.

When I get a chance, I'll certainly be cleaning the pads and rotors. I'll post up in a few weeks with an update after having enough time to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Although I've used regular automotive brake cleaner on all of my bikes, I was once told that it isn't good for cycles as there is a different type of glue used for the pads of motorcycles that is not as resistant to these cleaners than automotive brakes. Can anyone confirm this?

Raining for the next 5 days here. At least it's not snow!

SR

Edit: Never mind... Just re-read the fine print, "I have checked the rotors with a dial indicator, and all is o.k." Post submitted for educational purposes.

I'm surprised that no-one has suggested the possibility of a warped rotor! Check the run-out on both front rotors using a dial indicator, or raise the front wheel and carefully look at the edges of the brake rotors while rotating the wheel. If you can see any wavering, you have a warped disc.

I not sure if this is still common in the modern era of floating discs and ABS, but check it out.

I had this happen on my Concours. The dealer measured the run-out of the front discs and concluded the run-out was within spec'd tolerances. Not to me it wasn't! I wrote a letter to Kawasaki sprinkled with the words 'safety concerns' and ended up getting the $900 worth of front discs replaced under warrantee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: Never mind... Just re-read the fine print, "I have checked the rotors with a dial indicator, and all is o.k." Post submitted for educational purposes.
I'm surprised that no-one has suggested the possibility of a warped rotor! Check the run-out on both front rotors using a dial indicator, or raise the front wheel and carefully look at the edges of the brake rotors while rotating the wheel. If you can see any wavering, you have a warped disc.

I not sure if this is still common in the modern era of floating discs and ABS, but check it out.

I had this happen on my Concours. The dealer measured the run-out of the front discs and concluded the run-out was within spec'd tolerances. Not to me it wasn't! I wrote a letter to Kawasaki sprinkled with the words 'safety concerns' and ended up getting the $900 worth of front discs replaced under warrantee.

Hey Jack,

Funny. I had warped rotors on my '86 connie as well. Didn't have the money at the time for new ones, so had them ground on a "blanchard" grinder. Basically it is a flat table that grinds in different directions (swirling pattern, i think). After grinding, the thickness of the rotors was still within spec. They came out perfect and I was never so happy with a brake job!!

SR

Ha. Either that, or the metal quality was about as good as that used on the cams and valve train.........................

SR

Latest posts