HELP! Throttlemeister with Yamaha heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtfriedrich

Reaction score
So the one little sentence in the directions just blows me away

"Roll back the grip 1 inch on the throttle tube".

HTF do you do that? I can't get mine to roll back 1/16 of an inch. I have rolled back about 1 inch of skin on my fingers trying.

Did anyone hear ever install Throttlemeister with Yamaha heated grips? How did you roll back the grib???

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

HTF do you do that? I can't get mine to roll back 1/16 of an inch. I have rolled back about 1 inch of skin on my fingers trying.

Did anyone hear ever install Throttlemeister with Yamaha heated grips? How did you roll back the grib???

thanks
i'm not 100% sure but i think i read that you shouldn't use a throttlemeister with yamaha's heated grips or maybe i should say can't

i'll search around and see if i can find where i read that

here is what i found

Q: Will the Throttlemeister work with factory heated grips?

A: The Throttlemeister will work for almost all bikes with "Factory" heated grips.

We do not recommend that it be installed with Hot Grips.

With heated grips, the initial adjustments are more critical.

We suggest that when you are installing the Throttlemeister you do so

with the grips fully "Hot" so you don't get any binding.

Last edited by a moderator:

thanks
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. I USED 2 PAIRS OF NARROW-NOSE PLIERS, AND CAREFULLY PULLED THE END BACK AT DIFFERENT POINTS ON THE CIRCUMFERENCE OF THE GRIP. BE CAREFUL NOT TO RIP THE RUBBER. I COULD ONLY GET IT BACK 1/2 INCH, BUT THAT WAS ENOUGH TO SLIDE THE FRICTION THINGY UNDER THE EDGE. phil

thanks
i'm not 100% sure but i think i read that you shouldn't use a throttlemeister with yamaha's heated grips or maybe i should say can't

i'll search around and see if i can find where i read that

here is what i found

Q: Will the Throttlemeister work with factory heated grips?

A: The Throttlemeister will work for almost all bikes with "Factory" heated grips.

We do not recommend that it be installed with Hot Grips.

With heated grips, the initial adjustments are more critical.

We suggest that when you are installing the Throttlemeister you do so

with the grips fully "Hot" so you don't get any binding.

thanks, but they are refering to a particular brand "Hot Grips".

Kurt

I have a 06 AE with the heated grips, and yes getting the little friction sleeve under the grip was a royal pain in the ass. The grip from the factory has glue bonding the rubber part of the grip to the plastic throttle tube. The grip edge must be seperated from the glue before you attempt trying to slide the friction sleeve into place. I finally got my wife's blow dryer and gently heated the end of the grip. After a little while when the grip is warm and more pliable (plus the glue gets softer as well, making it easier to seperate from the grip and throttle tube), this is when you need to gently insert something betewwn the grip and the plastic throttle tube to seperate the two. You only need to insert something under the grip as far as the friction sleeve will go into the grip. Be very careful not to use anything sharp while doing this seperation procedure, a sharp object could cut into the rubber grip and damage the heating element inside, or cause a short.

Re-heat the end of the grip again, once the end feels warm enough; insert the friction sleeve into place. This should be a lot easier now with the rubber more pliable and seperated from the throttle tube.

That's how I did it, I'm sure others have great ideas as well. As someone once said "Necessity is the mother of invention".

Good Luck

I have a 06 AE with the heated grips, and yes getting the little friction sleeve under the grip was a royal pain in the ass. The grip from the factory has glue bonding the rubber part of the grip to the plastic throttle tube. The grip edge must be seperated from the glue before you attempt trying to slide the friction sleeve into place. I finally got my wife's blow dryer and gently heated the end of the grip. After a little while when the grip is warm and more pliable (plus the glue gets softer as well, making it easier to seperate from the grip and throttle tube), this is when you need to gently insert something betewwn the grip and the plastic throttle tube to seperate the two. You only need to insert something under the grip as far as the friction sleeve will go into the grip. Be very careful not to use anything sharp while doing this seperation procedure, a sharp object could cut into the rubber grip and damage the heating element inside, or cause a short.
Re-heat the end of the grip again, once the end feels warm enough; insert the friction sleeve into place. This should be a lot easier now with the rubber more pliable and seperated from the throttle tube.

That's how I did it, I'm sure others have great ideas as well. As someone once said "Necessity is the mother of invention".

Good Luck
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks a million. The main point was, you don't really have to roll back the grib, you can just force the sleeve right under it!!

Took 2 minutes once I adopted that strategy.

Kurt

I wish this was posted sooner. Damm it hurt when the skin came off my thumb! Seriously, it sucked. I eventually got the friction thingy under the first 1/8 inch of the grip then just worked it the rest of the way under by pushing on it. I almost pushed the bike over once. There is no rolling back that grip! Eventually I got it on and it works great, even better after releasing the throttle spring 1 turn.

Good Luck
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks a million. The main point was, you don't really have to roll back the grib, you can just force the sleeve right under it!!

Took 2 minutes once I adopted that strategy.

Kurt

Using both on my 05 since 1 year now, have no problem at all.

I know this is an old topic, but it might help somebody.

I just installed Yamaha's heated grip kit on my GenII and I ended up using a razor blade to cut the Throttlemeister's friction ring in half. Once the excess was trimmed off, it fit perfectly and did not cause a bulge at the end of the grip. Worked like a charm.

FYI,

I bought my Throttlemeister used so I didn't get the friction ring. Works like a charm without it. You just have to make sure the grip isn't rubbing. :clapping:

Goddamn, guys....I'm runnin' out of pictures.

20 years from now, when the remains of the human race gather around some sputtering campfire in a dank cave, they'll look back and discover the "Source of the Zombie Apocalypse" was the FJR Forum.

Is riding season already over for some of you dinks that all you can do is resurrect these pustulent old brain-eaters?