Broke Down Starter Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSUBOY

Reaction score
ON THE HIWAY IN VIRGINIA. BIKE STOPPED RUNNING AND I PULLED OFF THE ROAD. I CUT THE ZIP TIES HOLDING THE WIRES THAT ARE GOING INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE STARTER. THEN I PUSHED THEM UP AND OVER TO THE LEFT AND THE BIKE STARTED. CALLED YAMAHA AND THEY ARE SENDING ME TO PETERSBURG.VIRGINIA. DROVE BACK 30 MILES.I CHECKED INTO A HOTEL AND CALLED THE YAMAHA DEALER. HE THINKS HE'S GOING TO HAVE TO ORDER A SWITCH. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND HAD IT REPAIRED WITHOUT GETTING A NEW SWITCH? IF SO HOW DID THEY REPAIR IT? I NEED ANSWERS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE SO IF THERE'S ANYTHING I NEED TO TELL THE REPAIRMAN IN THE MORNING WHEN I RIDE OVER THERE,I CAN.

I WOULD PREFER NOT TO HAVE TO WAIT FOR A STARTER SWITCH FROM JAPAN.

THANKS LSUBOY

Last edited by a moderator:
SECOND CALL

I CALLED MY WIFE AND FOUND A POST BY COTA 95 ABOUT ADAPTING A HONDA ATV SWITCH. AT LEAST NOW I HAVE MORE THAN ONE OPTION.

PS: HOPEFULLY I WON'T HAVE TO MUCH DOWN TIME..

LSUBOY

Sorry to hear about your problem.

HERE is some more reading for you. IIRC, Dcarver's bike suffered the first failure while on a Death Valley ride. Since then there have been others. Some of the GENII bikes have the wiring harness too tight and it pulls the wires from the back (bottom) of the ignition switch.

A couple of owners have posted that they were able to disassemble the switch and repair it. I'm sure those posts will be on the link provided.

Happy reading!

LsuBoy - You can always make the bike run, even if by simply bypassing the switch. In most all cases switches have failed on the power leads (big wires) and not the interlock (small wires). I simply cut both of the big wires, wire nutted them together, turned the key on (for the interlock) and rode for 7 days that way.

Of course, you can always put a new ATV, toggle, or whatever switch in place too. I would have, but did not have the resources at the time.

Good luck!

Had the switch go out this year doing the LOE Rally. Luckily I had been keeping up with the postings about the problem & came prepaired with wire nuts !

Edit: No not mine but the kind to put wires together with . . :good:

Last edited by a moderator:
majicmaker said:
ON THE HIWAY IN VIRGINIA. BIKE STOPPED RUNNING AND I PULLED OFF THE ROAD. I CUT THE ZIP TIES HOLDING THE WIRES THAT ARE GOING INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE STARTER. THEN I PUSHED THEM UP AND OVER TO THE LEFT AND THE BIKE STARTED. CALLED YAMAHA AND THEY ARE SENDING ME TO PETERSBURG.VIRGINIA. DROVE BACK 30 MILES.I CHECKED INTO A HOTEL AND CALLED THE YAMAHA DEALER. HE THINKS HE'S GOING TO HAVE TO ORDER A SWITCH. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND HAD IT REPAIRED WITHOUT GETTING A NEW SWITCH? IF SO HOW DID THEY REPAIR IT? I NEED ANSWERS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE SO IF THERE'S ANYTHING I NEED TO TELL THE REPAIRMAN IN THE MORNING WHEN I RIDE OVER THERE,I CAN.
I WOULD PREFER NOT TO HAVE TO WAIT FOR A STARTER SWITCH FROM JAPAN.

THANKS LSUBOY
Same thing happen to me last week. Still waiting for me switch from California though. I hope someone helps you out, it wasn't fun!!