Day Trip in VA / WV on Jan 5th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC CWO

Reaction score
I think I will take a day trip on Saturday, January 5th and check out some roads in western VA, perhaps WV. I was hoping to go this weekend but the weather isn't cooperating. Can anybody offer up some good roads for riding? About the only thing I am familiar with is Skyline Drive. Anybody want to join me or meet up for some coffee?

The Blue Ridge Parkway south of Skyline Dr is a very nice ride. It is a slow, but scenic ride. Speed limit is 45mph. Route 311 will take you from Roanoke into WV. This goes over serveral mountains and is a scenic byway. If you want more info on roads in and around the Roanoke area, PM me your number and I will give you a call.

I think I will take a day trip on Saturday, January 5th and check out some roads in western VA, perhaps WV. I was hoping to go this weekend but the weather isn't cooperating. Can anybody offer up some good roads for riding? About the only thing I am familiar with is Skyline Drive. Anybody want to join me or meet up for some coffee?

A possibility to ponder:

West of Richmond and off I-64W, picking up Rt 60W to 56W near Buckingham (technical road after Massie's Mill) all the way thru to Steele's Tavern. Two lane connector roads over to Rockbridge Baths. Forgotten the route numbers, but follow signs to Raphine then turn south (left) to RockBridge Baths. 39W thru Goshen Pass (beautiful canyon extraordinairre) and over Warm Springs Mtn (beautiful overlook) to Rt 220S at Warm Springs (fancy resort to see). 220S to Covington (nice set of twisities). 18S to Paint Bank (the Swinging Bridge Restaurant in the back of the General Store highly recommended). 311E (Potts Mtn par excellent ride) to Salem. Then choose a route home.

VDOT uses lots of fine gravel and sand to treat mountain roads this time of year so watch yer a$$.

A possibility to ponder:
West of Richmond and off I-64W, picking up Rt 60W to 56W near Buckingham (technical road after Massie's Mill) all the way thru to Steele's Tavern. Two lane connector roads over to Rockbridge Baths. Forgotten the route numbers, but follow signs to Raphine then turn south (left) to RockBridge Baths. 39W thru Goshen Pass (beautiful canyon extraordinairre) and over Warm Springs Mtn (beautiful overlook) to Rt 220S at Warm Springs (fancy resort to see). 220S to Covington (nice set of twisities). 18S to Paint Bank (the Swinging Bridge Restaurant in the back of the General Store highly recommended). 311E (Potts Mtn par excellent ride) to Salem. Then choose a route home.

VDOT uses lots of fine gravel and sand to treat mountain roads this time of year so watch yer a$$.
Listen to this man

He has wisdom to impart

<snip>....Forgotten the route numbers, but follow signs to Raphine ...
Do they still have the collector motorcycles displayed at Whites Truck Stop in Raphine?

And....that is beautiful country -- I think of the movie "Cold Mountain" (Nicole Kidman) when I'm in there (G.W./Jeff N.F.).

The last leg of the recommended route on 311 to Salem takes you minutes by me. If you need to visit the head or stretch your legs shoot me a message and I will pass my cell # along to you.

John

Bummer! USMC CWO I have the ass end of the bike off, I am lubing the suspension this weekend, else I would be riding with you. Dang!