Death Valley Dualsport or Street ride January 23-27

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I don't do the picture thing but there are some interesting stories. I think most everybody other than bug took a dirt nap including my wing. Shit happens. No body parts were damaged but I will have a bruised foot for a while.

Well I don't do the picture thing but there are some interesting stories. I think most everybody other than bug took a dirt nap including my wing. Shit happens. No body parts were damaged but I will have a bruised foot for a while.
Isn’t a Goldwing a bit heavy to use for dirt riding?
Well truth be told it was a dirt parking lot and the damn thing rolled off the side stand while I was half way off so down we went with the bike on my foot. It took a bit to extract my foot and some Japanese kids showed up and helped get the whale back on the wheels. The foot doesn't look to good but it still works. Riding again today.

I rolled in home at about 4:00PM on Sunday after a pretty easy drive. I feel bad for Kevin heading back into sub zero temps and snow storms after coming out in the same kind of stuff on his way west. He was great to have along for many reasons, not least of which was helping me out of a couple of jams on our muddy, snowy last day ride. Thankfully weather was perfect for the three days of riding so he could thaw out :)

On the way home I stopped by Buttonwillow Raceway and saw a Tesla Corsa club on the track - pretty weird to watch with only wheel and wind noise - no snarling exhausts!

And they were pretty slow - I tracked one guy who looked to be mid-pack and he was doing 2:35 laps. To compare, the next session had a guy in a tricked out Subaru doing 2:05!

Anyways, it was a great DV event. Got to meet some new peeps and do some riding that was over my head but at the end a lot of fun with only a single 0 mph drop to admit to.

I should mention that I did luck out on the last day. On our very last few yards in the dirt I hit a big sharp rock on the way back from Father Crowleys Lookout. I got back to Beatty without incident, but after dinner I went out and found the front tire completely flat!

Thank goodness I can change it in the comfort of my garage instead of in the cold and dark side of the road with little tire irons!

Great trip Doug and Greg!

If there’s no pictures of any of the dropped bikes...... then that means it never happened.... right ?
I took pictures of the wing taking a nap but don't know to post them. Nobody wants to see a beached whale anyway....right???
smile.png

I had a great time in Death Valley. However I do have a word of caution for those venturing out there. I saw several coyotes in the middle of the road. They were not afraid of people or the cars diving past. It was like they were waiting for people to feed them. Don't feed the coyotes! It creates a road hazard.

I've been going Death Valley for 20 years. It didn't used to be like that. They have relearned their behavior.