Thermometer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Espia4ci

Reaction score
I would like to mount a good quality digital thermometer on my FJR. Anyone know of any good aftermarket ones that look pretty decent?

Espia4ci,

I velcroed a digital thermometer just under the tach to the fairing. It measures 4.5 inches by 1 inch. It seems to fit just right. Once I figure out how to post an image I can show ya. It was a standard automotive type with a clock, inside and outside readings. My new cage came with this option. So I took out the old one and now use it on the bike. It works great, I have had it wet on three occasions without any infiltration. Also, I cut the remote sensor wire to fit under the headlight. You can switch between the "inside" and "outside" (funny) and you definately have an average difference of 5 degrees. It is rather useless info but I like gadgets. I couldn't just throw that thermometer away. Now when I ride in 90+ degrees and I feel hot, I can confirm that it is hot.

cheers,

moby one.

If you have the space, Digimeter offers a Datel meter with temp read out instead of voltage. It's the exact same Datel voltmeter, but set up as a thermometer.

They don't list it yet on their site, so e-mail them at [email protected] and ask about it.

Digimeter's site: Digimeter.com

As to some of the other digital thermometers, be careful, many don't do well in the rain. The one Aerostitch sells is like that. Not sure if the one described by moby one is similar or not. I had one that sounds like that one and when it got wet it went on the fritz. Worked ok once it dried out, but I wasn't happy with it. $25 item, so not a big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is there response when I asked about it.

Grady A. Dunham

27 June 05

The thermometer is not out yet... should be ready in a coupla weeks. Keep checking the website for more information.

www.DigitalMeter.com

Thanks for your interest.

Andy Lovelace

MeterCenter

Someone on ST.N mentioned Radio Shack 63-1039 Car Thermometer w/ Voltmeter. At only $10, the price is RIGHT. Might need a bit of weather proofing . . . . .

Someone on ST.N mentioned Radio Shack 63-1039 Car Thermometer w/ Voltmeter. AT only $10, the price is RIGHT. Might need a bit of weather proofing . . . . .
I went with that one, The LCD display does NOT like being left in the sun.

I absolutely agree with the waterproof thing. There are lots of $10-$15 options out there, but none I've found claims to be waterproof. The ones from Radioshack are particularly bad with water. I had one die in the Utah sun and it never even got wet.

I currently have an $8 Accurite I got from Wal-Mart (stepped over dead puppies to buy it....sorry), but I know it's just a matter of one or two rainstorms or dewey fall morning before it will be toast. I'm thinking of running a bead of silicone along the edges to improve the life of the thing.

Can't wait for the one to come out from digitalmeter.com. I'm sure that sucker will be weatherproof and the way to go!

Wal-Mart Auto section. Mine has been in rain & had water sprayed on it. It fogs up & then drys out. Velcro holds in place but when the glue backing gets hot it likes to come loose. I put a very small sheet metal screw through the mounting to hold it in place. Sensor is out under the nose as far forward as I could get it. Reads very close when moving.

PIC00002.jpg

Yes but I never use it. There are two pushbuttons on the front. The light is the right most pushbutton. The other is for changing to/from the clock mode. I guess I should add that this is not a really high quality unit, but it does work for me, & the price was right at less than $10. Wal-Mart Stores are usually easy to find. Good luck.

Edit 8/17/05 I was in Wal-Mart the other day & noticed that they are now carrying a different thermometer. Ron

I'm also waiting for the new Datel thermometer. I searched for an alternative and found the EMT 1900 at www.LascarElecronics.com for $24.95 plus $8 S&H. No backlight, but it looks good with a 1/2" digit C or F display. Only a 0.22" hole is needed. I'm tempted to go with it since the LCD display would be easier to read than the LED in bright sunshine.

dobias

100_1295.jpeg
4e66f46e.jpeg

First time to post an image, lets see if i can get it right. If it works, here is a pic of my digital thermometer. Although it has been douched a few times, I don't think that it is supposed to be waterproof. So far it has worked as expected and the location shields it pretty good from the sunlight.

Later-

mo

100_1295.jpg

Holy Crap I did it. Here is another view from the riders perspective.

mo

garauld,

Thanks for the tip about the aquarium thermometer. I just received one and velcroed it to my clutch reservoir. The cord and thermometer bulb were "packaged" in a plastic wire shrink wrap and attached to the inside of my hand guard...neat.

It can be turned off and even switched to Celsius (for our Canadian neighbors). :p

dobias

For the Datel volt meter, which one are people buying? I think 19.99VDC is enough range, but I'm thinking that 1/100's would jump around too much to be terribly useful, and maybe more distracting.