Gear Shift Indicator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aristoi

Reaction score
OK, I am looking for some advice on adding a gear indicator. I am constantly searching for 6th gear, and i am sick of thinking about the count in my head rather than enjoying the ride. I am looking at the Acumen DG8 ($140) or the Datatool DiGi ($80). Aside from the price can anyone tell me what the difference is? Any preferances and why? Thanks

I have no experience with either (maybe a search would yield some enlightenment) but I sure wouldn't mind having a gear indicator myself. I'd look at putting it in the mirror like the voltmeter "Farkle of the year" nominee. Don't have the link handy....Anybody?

I bought the Acumen gear change indicator from Riderstation--the U.S. distributor and had oodles of problems. Very difficult install (to get the wiring right). Never did work properly and support from them was nonexistent. Someone on the old board was good enough to help me, but I think I had a bad unit.

Hellvalot easier to check the Revs at speed to see if you're in 6th.

P.S. They may be out of business. The weblinks I have for them are all dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I am looking for some advice on adding a gear indicator. I am constantly searching for 6th gear, and i am sick of thinking about the count in my head rather than enjoying the ride. I am looking at the Acumen DG8 ($140) or the Datatool DiGi ($80). Aside from the price can anyone tell me what the difference is? Any preferances and why? Thanks
6th gear? Did I get screwed :angry2: or did you get lucky? A 6th gear would be nice.

I used to want one... My previous bike didn't have one, same problem sort of, would once and while look for the non-existant 7th gear.

Then I installed that SportVue HUD which gives you a gear indicator, as well as graphical RPM and Speed in your helmet.

Gear indicators are OK, but I wouldn't spend any $ on it. I got the SportVue for doing a review, I wouldn't have spend $ on it in retrospect but it was a nice gadget. I do not use it today. I have too many different helmets and it's still hardwired to the old bike.

IMHO it's a big luxury. Have I used it? Sure, mostly because the bike is new to me, and I'm sure I too would have been looking for a non-existant 6th all the time.

I would much rather Yami used the LCD realestate for 'real temp data' over bars, than what gear I'm in. But that's just me.

-MD

6th gear? Did I get screwed :angry2: or did you get lucky? A 6th gear would be nice.
:lol: Yes we all got screwed. That is why when i am in 5th i try to shift up to 6th but it never goes in. I just find it annoying at attempting the 6th shift and being denied. This ussually happens when i a putting around the back roads and i do not remember what gear i last left off in, was it 4th or 5th. The road opens up and i reach for 5th but it is already there. I quick glance at the gear indicator would stop me from doing that and embarrasing myself in front of my pillion.

Nice writeup on the install. I noticed the pictures were of the Datatool DiGi but it references the ridingstation website where they sell the Acumen DG8. Any experiences here with the Datatool install. This makes it easier to buy the cheaper of the 2 if the install and support suck so bad from Acumen.

I have a seven speed automatic on mine. ;)

Yes we all got screwed. That is why when i am in 5th i try to shift up to 6th but it never goes in. I just find it annoying at attempting the 6th shift and being denied. This ussually happens when i a putting around the back roads and i do not remember what gear i last left off in, was it 4th or 5th. The road opens up and i reach for 5th but it is already there. "I quick glance at the gear indicator would stop me from doing that and embarrasing myself in front of my pillion. "

Since you're looking!

:) , I use to think one was neccessary as well, since we have a tach! we do not since when you are at 4000 rpms at around 70 +/- a couple of miles your're in 5th.

It just get use to training yourself to look before you shift, just like you look prior to entering an intersection! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you have a gear indicator though, it goes like this.

Try to shift to 6th... Awe shit...

--->look at gear indicator

---> "Doh!"

You're already in 5th...

Latest posts