Another Ignition Tale of Woe

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Change

Reaction score
My 2007 A began to exhibit symptoms of ignition switch failure at about 8000 miles and on a fine morning shortly thereafter, as I started off on my daily commute, it failed altogether. No juice.

So, in one more triumph of hope over experience, I had the bike towed to the dealer I bought it from. Surely, I thought, this is not quantum mechanics. It is a well-documented problem of which I alerted the service department in enormous detail. Piece of cake.

That was on a Thursday. Friday the next week the dealer gets the bike onto a lift and by the Friday after that—two weeks after having the bike towed to the dealership—the dealer has successfully (wait for it) replaced the ECM. Said they could not duplicate the ignition problem.

I rode the bike home. It is such a pleasure to ride. During the week the switch performed flawlessly, but it continued to exhibit the symptom of faulty soldered connections: I could cause it to fail by tugging on the wiring harness (a diagnostic technique that apparently eluded the dealership).

The next weekend, thinking a loose wire and ready to solder, I followed DailyCommuter’s justly celebrated template for tearing down the switch, inspected the soldering and discovered absolutely nothing wrong; soldering was rock-solid.

By the way, it was a landfill in there; tiny bulldozers pushing around tiny piles of ground up leaves and trash.

So, on the hope that the problem was the dirt and after thoroughly cleaning and reassembling the switch, I put it on the multimeter (see Barabus’s seminal work in this area), which revealed an open circuit, no juice. But if the problem isn’t the soldering or dirt, then what is it?

As it happens, on inspecting the switch innards after again disassembling it, I find I can add yet another problem to the well-documented issues of faulty soldering and plain old dirt.

The point of failure in my case is the cross-shaped white plastic assembly in the bottom of the switch that turns with the key and that carries copper contacts that close (or not) the circuit when the key is in the proper position. This assembly is shown in the pictures below.

IgnitionSwitchAssembly1.jpg

IgnitionSwitchAssembly2.jpg

Of course, the question is: what happened to this assembly after eleven months of flawless performance that caused spring-loaded contact to bind? Does the switch heat up sufficiently to cause the plastic to deform and trap the leg of the contact?

My problem, before the switch failed altogether (and then recovered miraculously at the dealership) was that, intermittently, the switch would close only in some very delicate position between OFF and ON. Once the bike fired up, however, the circuit was very robust and I could turn the key all the way to its proper ON position with no consequences.

So, another mystery. Perhaps those of you who experience the betwixt-and-between key position syndrome, and who discover that it is NOT a loose wire and it is NOT dirt can take a lok at this assembly, which was the culprit in my case.

Oh, great, one more thing to worry about.

Seriously, being a completely electronic ignoramus, I appreciate the pictures and the detailed write-up. Nice work!

Most excellent and informative write-up.
Well done!
Informative, yes. Helpful, uh, not so much.

Apparently, I'm going to have to be the asshole on this issue and prod every single person that's experienced an ignition switch failure - regardless of diagnosed cause, to file a complaint @ Safercar.gov.

Writing up an academic report for this board on the hows and whys of the failure is simply that: academic. Not filing a complaint @ Safercar.gov is doing a significant disservice to those of us whom are simply waiting for the other shoe to drop. Ladies and gentlemen, an electrical system failure is an exceptionally dangerous problem. This is one of those things that gets people killed. Imagine a catstrophic electrical system shut-down caused by an ignition switch failure at speed. At night. With a drowsy, long-haul trucker on your ass. Oops! Squish! A pretty picture, huh?

File the complaint, file the complaint, file the complaint: Safercar.gov. It's simple and will probably take you less time than it did to write up the nice report here with all the pretty pictures.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
My ignition switch has not failed, yet, on my '06 AE, but I did submit this information to saafercar.gov contact us page:

Yamaha makes the '03-'05 FJR1300A and '06-present FJR1300A/AE. Only difference is the clutch and transmission between A & AE models. Ignition switches are failing, creating potentially life threatening situations. My complaint: Why does your site allow the statics to be watered down by erroneously listing FJR models? Examples:

'05 FJR13 or FJR1300

'06 FJR1300A or FJR1300AE

'07 FJR13

Please make it simple and list FJR1300A/AE.

Also the stats are being watered down by the complaints being listed as three separate issues. Examples:

Electrical System

Ignition System

Ignition Switch

Please take notice of the fact people will be killed if something is not done to correct these faulty ignition switches, which are installed on Yamaha FJR1300A/AE models.

I know this is an old post but unfortunately it is a new issue for me. My bike is 10 yrs old on Sunday and will have to undergo major surgery on its birthday.

Does anyone know if the gen11 switch recall parts are still available and if so any info like where and part # would be appreciated.

Cheers

Festar

It's a recall. Take it to a dealer and have them do it. Recalls have to be honored.
Bounce,

I believe it was only a recall in the U.S.,

I pulled the switch out today, our switch has an associated/attached immobiliser circuit which looms to an ECU. But looking at the pics in this thread the rest looks identical.

The inside was indeed heat effected with melting of sprung contact guides causing the electric contact to remain open.

I cleaned it up as much as possible with contact cleaner and rotated the block of contacts 180 degrees as it appears only 2 or the 4 are used. Put it back together and to my absolute delight it works a treat.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this and other threads on the subject, you all gave me the courage and insight to solve this worrying problem.

Cheers

Festar

I'll be darned if I can find a link to any "DailyCommuter Ignition Switch" post. Anyone have that link handy for a doofus?

'Commuter is a near neighbor of mine. He fixed me up with some nice local roads which we use to remove the peg feelers.

I hope everyone's ignition woes has a happy ending.