Kawasaki GTR1400 - Son of Concours

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramfrank

BramFrank
Reaction score
This weekend is the dealer show and publication of the following article and photo (right view) as well as the publication of the left view and follwing text on an Italian web site seems to portend the iminent arrival of a new and VERY potent SPORTourer!

The text (with apologies for the translation):

Kawasaki has its own take on Touring. The result is the new GTR1400 (2008 model year) that represents a totally new concept in high performance motorcycles: The Supersport Tourer.

Starting with an engine that offers breath-taking performance, impecable managebility, and an extremely comfortable riding position, the new GTR1400 incorporates technical solutions that make it unbeatable over long distances.

The new GTR1400 is built to a high standard, keeping true to the company's performance tradition. Thanks to being the first in its class to carry a VVT (Variable Valve Timing) system, and a variable distribution system (variable length induction???), the efficiency of the GTR engine is very impressive. Together the two provide power from very low and middle in the rev range, that'll stand your hair on end, as well as acceleration anywhere in the regime. Thanks to the new final drive system, via Tretra-Lever (similar to BMW's shaft drive???), that delivers power to the rear wheel with the same smooth action of a traditional chain drive.

Like its engine, the chassis of the GTR is based on the ZZR1400. There have been some modifications to the chassis and riding position to increase the comfort of this aluminum monocoque frame but its sport qualities remain intact. The new GTR 1400, as well as the ZZR1400, is dedicated to sharp handling thanks to the rigid chassis, the inverted fork, and other high tech touches. All this, combined with the latest generation ABS raises the braking to a level on par with the best Supersports, and make the new GTR1400 the only Tourer in the world with a monocoque, leaving the competition far behind.

In addition to Sport performance the new GTR1400 provides features like an electrically adjustable windshield, large capacity luggage, tire pressure sensors, KI-PASS (a swipe card ignition key), and an AC power source under the dash.

For those who cross countries and continents like others cross cities, the new GTR1400 gives more of everything than any other bike in its catergory.

GTR1400_pic.jpg

GTR1400_txt.jpg

noticia1271.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like Kawi is going after some market share.

Uh…how long is the PDP un wun O dem dar units? :fan_1:

<_< I'am afraid the cost will be to much for me.... :(

Guess i'll just have to settle for a turbo FJR instead.

No Thanks! I'd take an old Concours over that!

I am glad Yamaha came out with the FJR.

I don't get the fascination with the bigger and bigger engines either.

FJRottie....I don't want you to take this wrong.....but is what you just said a personal statement?.... :blink: ....(kidding)

:dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

That's about all I can say. I'm in.

-BD

I will give it a serious look, as soon as my warranty runs out (8/08). Maybe they'll have the bugs worked out for the '09 model. Or I can buy BrunDog's 'cause it'll only have about 4000 miles on it, then get him to fudge the bill of sale to say it has 7500, which it will by the time I get it back to CA.
wink.gif

Why can't it be a Honda?

Are those skid plates on the faces of the luggage pods?
wink.gif
:lol:

Are those skid plates on the faces of the luggage pods?
wink.gif
:lol:

Yea,

Thats for lane splitting!

I'd like to see one in person, but I'd hate to have to break-in a new forum! :p :p :p

If I did a lot of NV riding I'd like the extra HP but the FJR has enough for 98% of my riding. Wouldn't mind adding a new ZX1400 to the garage though.............. :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

The result is the new GTR1400 (2008 model year) that represents a totally new concept in high performance motorcycles: The Supersport Tourer.
Uh, not exactly "A totally new concept".
The hype marketeers are in full swing.

Well, I'll wait for the the GEN II GTR. You know, when the fix the heat, throttle, windscreen whistle, seat, side stand, magic ejecting side cases, sticking needles, faulty mileage computer, blah, blah, blah... :hehe:

Why can't it be a Honda?
You mean you haven't seen this 49cc Honda bad-boy? :lol:

Metropolitan_II_Blue_Hibiscus.jpg

Metropolitan_pink_hibiscus.jpg

Metropolitan_Peach_Hibiscus.jpg

Honda - The power of gay dreams.
supergay.gif

The crap their putting out right now is just painful on the eye. :angry2:

:dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

That's about all I can say. I'm in.

-BD
+1

I like what I've seen so far. It seems to have everything I was looking for when I bought my FJR, fuel injection, shaft drive, go fast, and luggage.

As others have said, I'd like to see one up close and personal before taking it too seriously but I might consider one once I've used up my FJR. The last time I bought a Kawi, 1975, their bikes were pretty cheaply made and priced accordingly so I'll be very careful before spending a lot on one. We'll see.

The result is the new GTR1400 (2008 model year) that represents a totally new concept in high performance motorcycles: The Supersport Tourer.
+1. Seems they are about 6 years after that "totally new concept" kicked off. But their add copy called it "hyper touring". Perhaps the translation was the stumbling block for the already-claimed Supersport Touring term.

I hope it's a reality and will welcome it's arrival. Like many have said before, competition will only improve the sport-touring segment. Hell, maybe even Suzuki will go forward with a Hayabusa-based ST. C'mon, a guy can dream can't he? B)

By the time the platform is bug free and farkles abound, Frank will be getting long in the tooth. Should time out just perfect.... ;) But then, by that time, who knows what Yam will have for FJR-III.

..what's a "monocoque"? Some kind of STD

personally, I'd hate to have a chancre on my fork.

+1. Seems they are about 6 years after that "totally new concept" kicked off. But their add copy called it "hyper touring". Perhaps the translation was the stumbling block for the already-claimed Supersport Touring term.
Yep, next we get Ridiculous touring, then Ludicris touring (see Spaceballs)