Sebring 12-Hours

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
Took a couple days off so I had a 4-day weekend around Saturday, the 17th. Yes, it was St. Patrick's day, but I had something more important to see! World-renowned racing teams and an international cast of drivers competing in a once-around-the-clock event that was actually part of 2 championships, the American LeMans Series and the World Endurance Championship. American LeMans runs races around North America for cars built to the LeMans rules, and the World Endurance Championship is an international body of the same type of cars which runs in several countries through the year.

As I did last year, I made a bike/camp trip out of this. Unlike last year, the area I camped was not free, so I had to shell out another 25 bucks when I got there. They didn't charge me for the bike, though; if I'd driven, it would have been 25 bucks to park, and another 25 to camp. All I paid was camping. (I say that like it's a good thing, but last year in the same lot I paid ZERO, so it depends on your viewpoint, I guess.)

Being a camping trip means loading up the bike:

DSC00013.JPG

The camp chair's strap went under the top case, so it wasn't going anywhere, then the cruiser-style bag sat on that and was bungeed to the grab rails. In it was my sleeping bag, some tools (just in case,) a 12-v air pump for my air mattress, and walking-around shoes. My camera bag lived in the left sidecase, my rain gear went in the right, the top case held clothes, towel, laptop, etc., and the tank bag carried the air mattress, phone charger, and other loose stuff that just didn't fit anywhere else. The tent went on top and was secured by more bungees.

Last year I went from here to Tallahassee and picked up I-10, then slabbed it all the way to US 27 off the Florida Turnpike and took that to Sebring. This year I decided to take the Old Route, from the time before I-10 was completed through the Florida panhandle. SR20 towards Tallahassee, but turn south and go past Wakulla Springs, then pick up US98 east to Perry, then south on ALT27 from there to Chiefland, cut across to Ocala and pick up I75 briefly. Somewhere along that road you go through Fanning Springs, where you get way down upon the Suwannee River:

DSC00015.JPG

Got off of the slab before the Turnpike, went east and then south on US27, crossed the turnpike and got hit with a rainstorm for what seemed like hours, but was actually only about 10 or 12 miles. I found a little roadside stand that was closed, but had an overhang, and pulled in to don the rain gear and put rain covers over the tank bag and tail bag. Just past Clermont and the Citrus Tower I stopped and removed the rain gear:

IMAG0126.jpg

On arriving at the track I shelled out my camping fee, which I didn't have to do last year. They had a free area this year, but it was in an adjacent county, I think. OK, just across the street, but that still made it over a mile further from the gate, just a bit too much for how much walking I'd have to be doing already. Then I went in and wandered the paddock while the cars came in from night practice.

DSC_5450.jpg

DSC_5453.jpg

DSC_5455.jpg

Friday morning came way too early, what with me being born and raised on Central time, but with the bright sunlight in my eyes and the tent starting to heat up, there was no sleeping in. So up we go, and dive in to the bag of sugar donuts appropriated the previous evening at a gas station. Nothing like a healthy nutritious breakfast to start your day right! Here was home while I was there:

IMAG0128.jpg

I went into the track and caught some of the morning warm-up session:

DSC_5540.jpg

DSC_5567.jpg

DSC_5588.jpg

Then back into the paddock where I saw cars lining up for tech inspection:

DSC_5611.jpg

DSC_5662.jpg

and just generally being worked on:

DSC_5621.jpg

DSC_5624.jpg

DSC_5634.jpg

All the manufacturers that compete here (Audi, BMW, Corvette, Porsche, etc.) have tents displaying their wares. In the BMW tent was a 2013 640i in a new satin-finish paint job. This thing was gorgeous! But I won't buy one until I see one that's a couple years old, see how the finish looks with some age on it. (Probably won't buy one then, either, though, come to think of it....)

DSC_5669.jpg

Then I found the paddock area for the historics cars, which raced as the final event of Friday afternoon. Here's the engine bay of an Austin-Healey 3000. That dark hexagonal block on the firewall just past the carbs is the fuse block. It contains BOTH fuses protecting the car's electrical system:

DSC_5678.jpg

Didn't race, but available for drooling:

DSC_5687.jpg

DSC_5728.jpg

The historics raced in two groups, generally separated by age, I think either before or after about 1970. Here are the more recent cars:

DSC_5730.jpg

DSC_5741.jpg

DSC_5743.jpg

Well, this puts paid to my cut-off date theory:

DSC_5746.jpg

And the second group, older cars and/or smaller engines:

DSC_5771.jpg

DSC_5785.jpg

DSC_5792.jpg

And the evening and the morning were the second day.

Saturday, similar story. Trying to sleep, but engines are running, sunlight is bright, tent's getting hot. Fine. I'm up. More sugar donuts, since I couldn't finish the whole bag Friday morning. (I'm not a pig, you know!)

Saturday had no events other than the race itself. That started at 10:30 (AM) and ran until 10:30 (PM) thus defining the event's name.... Before the race, the grid was open to fans to wander and mingle and ogle.

DSC_5915.jpg

DSC_5960.jpg

DSC_5964.jpg

The race started while I was walking over to a position I'd scouted on Friday. Got there, climbed up the stands and shot a few:

DSC_5983.jpg

DSC_5999.jpg

DSC_6002.jpg

Then I started wandering around the track. Here's a short straight just past turn 1.

DSC_6127.jpg

DSC_6133.jpg

This is a long right-hand sweeper known as big Bend.

DSC_6318.jpg

DSC_6324.jpg

DSC_6335.jpg

After Big Bend is a slow right-hander, and after that is a section where the track is higher than the viewing area, and you can see over the barriers with the cars just about eye level, which makes for some really nice pictures.

DSC_6433.jpg

DSC_6436.jpg

DSC_6452.jpg

DSC_6484.jpg

DSC_6491.jpg

DSC_6566.jpg

Back to the stands for some late afternoon harsh sunlight pics

DSC_6704.jpg

DSC_6753.jpg

DSC_6775.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As it got dark I went back to Turn 7 for night-time hot brakes pictures.

DSC_6920.jpg

DSC_6932.jpg

DSC_6943.jpg

DSC_6945.jpg

As the cars decelerate and downshift they spit little instantaneous bits of flame out the exhaust, and after all the shots I took, this is the onyl one that caught one:

DSC_7080.jpg

DSC_7083.jpg

DSC_7084.jpg

DSC_7096.jpg

And then it was over. This is as close as I could get to the victory stand:

DSC_7128.jpg

Victory%2520Lane.JPG

Sunday came too early, too, and I had to break camp and head north. I met up with RadioHowie near his abode for breakfast at the Southeast Eatery, as we did last year. I'll spare you pics of him, but here's our bikes in the lot:

DSC00018.JPG

My measly portion:

DSC00017.JPG

and my man's Breakfastus Giganticus (again sparing you his likeness:)

DSC00016.JPG

When we left we found that a new Fiat 500 had parked in the space next to us. The guy was chatting it up with some of the folks, and we watched for a couple of minutes. Then he got in the car, closed up the roll-back canvas roof (like the old Citroen 2CV, but power-operated) then got out. My boy RH asked him deadpan, "Broken down already?" I don't think it was well received, but RH knows his Fiats, and I believe it was a serious question! Anyway, here we are in the lot before leaving. Sorry, but he's in this one!

DSC00019.JPG

Got home safe about 6-1/2 hours after leaving Winter Haven, took the slab home instead of the scenic route. A little further, but MUCH quicker.

Over the weekend I shot over 1400 frames, cut it down to a little over 500 as I went through them this week, and if you're interested you may peruse them here. I have to say that my upgraded equipment compared to last year fared rather well, also. I'm shooting a D5000, while I had a D50 last year. My lens is Nikon's 70-300 VR, while I had the 55-200 kit lens last year. Most of these shots are at the short end, only 100 to 120mm zoom, but the 70-300 is much sharper and the VR seems to help with the panning motion. The camera itself has a faster continuous shooting rate than I had before, and it's MUCH MUCH better in the low loght. The D50 was horribly noisy while the D5000 produced much cleaner images at night.

Excellent write-up! I love the night shots of the hot brakes. Brings back great memories for me when I worked the SCCA races as a turn-worker in Portland. My favorite times were when the IMSA cars came, back in the days of Brian Redman, John Paul, Jr., and Lyn St. James.

Nice report...GREAT pics of the cars
+1, Gunny; fantastic Sebring report Walt, Thank You!

Since I have dined with RadioHowie myself before, I do have to ask you a question wfooshee: Did you eat your meal making RadioHowie wear a paper bag over his head, with cutouts for his eyes and mouth?

When I went out to Dinner with RH in Orlando I also wore a paper bag over my head, but I only cut out the bag for my mouth; just in case RadioHowie's bag broke, I still wanted to be able to finish my meal without puking!

Those pictures are awesome Walt! I really liked the nightime brake pics. When you were showing the naked cars, I was looking at the front rotor assemblies thinking, I wonder how hot those get and what kind of fade the drivers deal with. The red-hot disks just a few shots down answered at least one of those questions.

Looks like you had a great time. I hope you kicked Howie in the apple sack for us.

Since I have dined with RadioHowie myself before, I do have to ask you a question wfooshee: Did you eat your meal making RadioHowie wear a paper bag over his head, with cutouts for his eyes and mouth?

When I went out to Dinner with RH in Orlando I also wore a paper bag over my head, but I only cut out the bag for my mouth; just in case RadioHowie's bag broke, I still wanted to be able to finish my meal without puking!

I may have gotten acclimated, this being my fifth meal with him now . . . . .