The Tail of the Dragon! (Video)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaRoller

Exit Stage Left
Reaction score
3min Rock Ride Video Version of HWY28 & US129

https://vimeo.com/40017289

16min Uncut Raw Version of the Dragon US129 only

https://vimeo.com/39952506

Me & TwoWhldTerror did the Dragon yesterday. Here is a full length uncut, unedited ride video from my bike. This video starts at the Dam overlook in TN (mile 2.5 on the map) and rides virtually the entire road south all the way down to it's intersection with HWY28 in NC (Mile 11.8 on the map).

I wanted to give those that haven't ever ridden the Dragon a realistic video of what it's like from a FJR. I mounted the GoPro on the suction cup mount on the left side of my front fairing. I rode at what I consider a brisk and fun pace...yet very controlled & safe without pushing it hard. Me & Tom talked about it after we rode it and we both rode prob 80% of the route in very high rpm 2nd gear. The other 20% was in 3rd gear when we had a just a few extra seconds of semi straight road.

I think you can ride this road confidently in 2nd gear between 5000-8000 rpm for the tight twistie sections. I prefer doing that so I can get a really strong engine break going on decel so I don't have to trail brake very much. It isn't always easy throwing a 600lb ST bike around in some of the tight 180 degree turns but overall its still a fun ride. This road can jump up and bite you if you try to push it too hard and so I never do.

TailOfTheDragonMap.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a few pics I found online this morning.

I'm running with the top case only. Tom has the saddlebags on his bike.

US129-1.jpg

US129-2.jpg

US129-TOM2.jpg

US129-NATE2.jpg

US129-TOM1.jpg

US129-NATE1.jpg

US129-TOM3.jpg

Cool videos! Thanks for sharing. I would love to ride the Tail of the Dragon. The FJR purrs in the upper RPMs(insert shit eating grin here).

Yep cool video. What's with the LEO in the 3 min one? Been a couple years since I've been down there, before the increased presence....