Has anyone ever added air vents to the fairing below the radiator?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken0350

Reaction score
I have an 07 and just wondered if adding some additional air flow under the radiator openings would increase air flow and further reduce the heat from the radiator and engine?

Ken, way back in the beginning, when the '03s and '04s ruled the roadways, there were a number of owners who tired various slits, slots and panel removals. One trick was to remove the "diamond" panel at the bottom of the front fairing (some people simply cut a large hole there).

It DID increase air flow but the problem arose that the increase air had nowhere to vent so it forced more hot air out the side vents and onto the riders legs/groin. The NewGen bikes have better air management all-around.

Someone on the West Coast took pictures where an owner had added a "flap" under the rear of the fairing. Evidently it was working like an airfoil on a racecar and "pulling" the engine air through the bottom of the fairing area. That would effectively pull engine heat from the rider cockpit. Radman was going to try the experiment but I don't remember reading that he had successfully copied the idea.

Others have tried adding "wings" to the sides of the fairing openings in an attempt to pull more air through the side vents and direct it away from the rider. I couldn't tell you how successful any of these are, but those who have purchased these "wings" report the difference was negligible.

At some point we have come to the conclusion that we are sitting on a 1300cc heat producer and are bound to feel some of that heat. If you are feeling an abnormal amountm is it while sitting or while moving? I assume moving because that is the only time extra venting would help. Most of us wear riding gear (including pants) that seem to help insulate us from the engine heat.

Good luck on any solution you find. Be sure and report your results if you try additional venting around the radiator.

IIRC, somebody cut out slots under the radiator in the chin area to change the airflow. I remember some pictures too, but cannot find them.

As you can imagine, the amount of heat generated cannot be reduced by cut-outs...that's a fundamental law of physics having to do with combustion and mixture in the engine. Cutouts would change the way heat is managed. IIRC, it increased the flow by the header, but not necessarily out the bottom of the bike and made ankles hotter.

I have not heard anybody do it on a Gen II bike.....or expressed a need.

Pop on over to .ws and search the archives. There are at least 3 threads that I can remember from '03 and '04. I'd provide the link, but I lost it in the Great Computer Meltdown of '06.

Pop on over to .ws and search the archives. There are at least 3 threads that I can remember from '03 and '04. I'd provide the link, but I lost it in the Great Computer Meltdown of '06.
Here's the link Tim mentioned. It's the Euro board and is full of lots of information.
Not that one, Mike. The one that takes you to the archives (in the old forum format) - do you have that one?

Nope. Everything I have leads me to FJRowners.com. Perhaps the old archived site is gone? Still, most of the "oldies" over there should be able to help.

Where are all the new guys posting replies about (how) helpful this forum is?

Next time someone complains when the search features are explained, then calls the old guys a bunchapricks, I hope I remember to add a link to this.

Edit:(read the post, spell checked the post, previewed the post and still missed it)

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, somebody cut out slots under the radiator in the chin area to change the airflow. I remember some pictures too, but cannot find them.
That post seems like it was a long, long time ago. I cannot find the thread to link to but what I remember is some unusual cut-out shapes and the author said the cut-outs increased his temp gauge by 1 bar due to decreased flow across the radiator.

Beware: My memory is not what it used to be.

EDIT: Found this

Last edited by a moderator:
Grumpy has an 04 with the diamond area cut out below the radiator. Original owner did it before Grumpy. You might PM Grumpy for some feedback.

But looks like you have a Gen-II. I speak from personal experience (05 to 07 owner), that the Gen-II is soooo much better airflow that I would not go screwing around cutting holes, unless you are prepared to buy new tupperware and put it back if it doesn't work.

Be sure to post either your success or failure. We love to hear about both.

This sure is a responsive site with a bunch of good input and even better humor.

Thanks everyone. I am not going to experiment with custom cuts on my fairing panels and the heat is not offensive to me at this point. Looks like there are no successful aftermarket farkles out there which is really what I was seeking. I very much appreciate all the comments and links.

You all satisfied this NC boy.

Ken

Actually, Ken, there are place that make "wings" that you attach along the edge of the fairings/cutouts (think Goldwing farkles like "hand wings") Again, I state, the results have been minimal. Owners have used "double stick tape" for pieces of plexiglass with varied effect.