Pipes For The Fjr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
StainTunes, perfect bolt on replacement for stock FJR mufflers. No rivets, no mounting straps, never needs a repack (stainless steel packing) sounds great, removable baffles if you want to sound GREATER.... Don't know about the power increase because I haven't installed my PC Commander and K&N combo yet but the pipes look beautiful and sound great.

Cheers!!

FtLFjr

Hmmm...staintunes look cool.

stntn630c3%5B1%5D.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had Staintunes on my '03. I thought they were pretty good. Looked great on the bike, ovals are cool, but the welds weren't all clean. Being one piece they went on easy but the sizing on the pipes was small and it messed up the existing newish gaskets. They didn't come with spare gaskets so I had to order 2 new ones and tap out the inside of the pipe a bit. The spun SS packing is interesting. It has longevity for sure. When packed in a metal can the sound is full and rich, yes, and real raspy. Distinctive, very wicked. Maybe not for everyone. That's where the plugs come in as you can tone it down. I thought the plugs were cool at the time, but don't now. Down side of a metal can packed with spun steel is that they were very buzzy at speed. Didn't like that. They used to offer carbon fiber cans, maybe they still do. If I went with Staintunes again it would only be in carbon fiber. Current price is $770 and they are made in Oz. Much cheaper at the time, there was enough margin on CTB's price to my dealer that he could give me a nice discount.

I have Holeshots on my '04 and I love 'em. They look great and sound fantastic. Overall construction is top notch but they will never look quite as clean as Staintunes (or stock) because they are riveted together and use hanger straps. That said they have traditional fiberglass packing which, if you did the miles, could easily be replaced if burned out. They are also 2 piece units which require some time to install but everything was consistent and properly sized. No bunged up gaskets as they slid on perfectly over my barely worn stock ones. No big deal if you mashed them or they're worn out because they come with 2 new ones. Dale Walker sez replace upon install but mine looked new and now I have spares. He also specifies a copper gasket seal to be applied at the can joint and I had to go out for it. Staintunes at the time did not come with locknuts for the hanger bolts and I had one back out on me. Probably my fault. Holeshots come with locknuts. (Side note; the captive hanger bolt set up on the stock cans is very trick and can't be beat). On test ride they were buzzy too but soon mellowed out with no buzz. They cost $620, are made in the USA.

Dale Walker is the only American working on a full system and the only one in the world that will use 2 cans (this influenced me greatly as well this time around). He is the nicest guy with a wealth of knowledge who'll answer your phone call and think nothing of spending some time talking with you about the science of performance tuning. He told me that he's now testing the full system for the last time, this time with a crossover pipe in the header to see if he can improve upon what he's got so far. Also he's doing the testing with a Dobeck TFI and the stock map instead of a PCIII as he feels it works, it's cheaper and easier. I think Dobeck started/was with Dynojet.

D&D, noisy and cheap. especially here-

https://www.parts411.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&...ctGroup_ID=3874

Sound has been compared to Holeshots, and though I'm sure the quality isn't in the same league, they are nicely built, install well, have a normal mellow sound, a good bark when ya punch it, and are immensly affordable.

I recently went through this whole decision process on the pipes. Everyone has different criteria for their purchase. In the end, I decided I had no desire to ever mount a full system, since I prefer to keep the cat and O2 sensor at least until she's out of warranty - which won't be until 2010! I also thought the stock pipes had a very high quality appearance that many of the less expensive aftermarket jobs just can't beat. Since exhaust is a signature item in a bike's appearance, that rated high on my list. I wasn't looking for performance, just a more authoritative exhaust note and as a side benefit, a weight reduction. I ended up with the Stains, and got what I was looking for. Appearance is top notch, I found a decent price from exoticsportbike.com (thanks to posts on the CHEZEE board forum) and they took about 30 days to arrive. Had some fear due to one post I read where a guy got his Stains damaged due to no packing in the box. Must have learned their lesson, mine were packed like they were being shipped via Paris to Dakar rally, and arrived in perfect shape. Good luck with your search!

Hey Jammer, your goals in life for pipes are same as mine. I want a better sound that retains or beats the looks of the OEM's. I've already got gobs of power...one reason I bought an FJR!

My warranty also goes to 2005...that YES thing is a great deal! B)

Another thumbs up for the Staintunes :D I love my "tunes" for all the reasons mentioned. The no rivits, no straps, no repacking, and removeable baffles were all on my list of "wants" so Staintune was a no-briner for me. They were pricey, but I am convinced they were worth it. I am certain that you cannot go wrong with Holeshots, LeoVince, or a couple others, but for me ..... it was Staintune.

Got my staintunes installed today, gotta say I'm really happy! Took the baffle tubes out right away, the sound is MUCH better than stock, it sounds like a proper motorcycle now. Not raspy or cheap sounding. Just a mellow, authoritative sound that makes twisting the throttle even more fun :D

James, I'd be willing to sell my stock mufflers, they're off my '05 with under 2000 miles, no scratches or dents, they look perfect. I did take the mounting nuts out of their little cages to use on my Stains, so you'll need to get the hardware, but that's it. Let me know if you're still interested.

I went w/ the Holeshots. I've had them before, great quality and Dale stands behind them, and you can talk to Dale directly to get info or solve a problem. I'll purchase his full system as well. I have to say though the Blue Streaks look like a quality product as well.