Power Commander 5 w/ Autotune

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahchiu

FJR Commander
Reaction score
After the PCIII,Barbarian Mod,now PC5 w/Autotune, I was still getting a hunting/surging around 3750-4000k rpm getting OFF and ON the throttle from 0-2% throttle position. This is where I'm maintaining a steady speed. I talked to Keith @ Fuel Moto and Joe @ Dynojet, for around 2 hrs total trying to figure out why I'm still getting the 'Hunting" I asked them why there was no AFR value "0" in the 0% throttle position, he said that it throws off the Dyno test for Harleys. I asked him if there is 0 in that area what is the Autotune doing, he said it goes off the stock ECM settings. I told him that the FJR fuel setting is very lean, I asked what if I put a AFR value in the 0% position that way it will be smoother comming from OFF throttle (0%) to 2% throttle. I tried it in the 3500-4250K RPM range and it worked. I have put 13.2 AFR in the 0% throttle position from 1,500 rpm thru 10,000 rpm. Now the bike has no surging at all comming from OFF throttle to 2% throttle. The reason I did not put 13.2 value lower than 1,500 rpm is possible reversion of the fresh air.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised to hear this. My autotune didn't do much under the 2% column. I didn't get much fuel until the 5% column. That might be a cool thing to try when I get my PCV warranty replacement.

Marcus came over yesterday and we reset the PCV with these new settings (plus removed some slop in my throttle cable).

Seems to work. Now all I feel is the usual driveline lash.

Post 1 & 2 2006

Post 3 2009

Lots of changes between the 2006/7 and 2008/9/10.
I did not change any of the fuel values, only added an AFR of 13.2 in the 0% throttle position so the Autotune will adjust the AFR in the 0% throttle for a smoother transition from OFF throttle to 2%

Post 1 & 2 2006

Post 3 2009

I did not change any of the fuel values, only added an AFR of 13.2 in the 0% throttle position so the Autotune will adjust the AFR in the 0% throttle for a smoother transition from OFF throttle to 2%
Hi Marcus, Is there anyway to see what the autotune is doing from a fuel map perspective? Like when everything is running prefect is there a way to save the setup

to a map? I ask because most of the maps I've seen have little to no values in the 0% and the 2% column. Might be interesting to play around there if I had a starting point.

Hope this make sense.

Post 1 & 2 2006

Post 3 2009

Hi Marcus, Is there anyway to see what the autotune is doing from a fuel map perspective? Like when everything is running prefect is there a way to save the setup

to a map? I ask because most of the maps I've seen have little to no values in the 0% and the 2% column. Might be interesting to play around there if I had a starting point.

Hope this make sense.
To see what Autotune is doing you hookup the PC5 to your computer, and look at the Trim Table and that will tell you what the Autotune is adjusting off your Base Map + or - this is adding or subtraction fuel. If you want to adjust your base map you go to the map tools and add trim table. This will alter your base map + or -fuel, you can always go back to the original map so don't worry about loosing the base map. In the Target section you set up the AFR for the Autotune to know what AFR to adjust fuel, 13.1 is the richest you would want and 14.7 is the leanest you want to go. On your fuel table that has a 0 it is not adjusting anything and is going off the stock ECU settings.

PM me if you have more questions

This is good info, thanks. I've not been happy with my PCV for this very reason too. Need to try this, just not sure how to do it. Had been hoping to avoid playing with it by popping for the Autotune. Hate the stumble off idle although my gas mileage did go up a little so that was at least a nice benefit. How has the mileage been with the 13.2 plugged in?

This is good info, thanks. I've not been happy with my PCV for this very reason too. Need to try this, just not sure how to do it. Had been hoping to avoid playing with it by popping for the Autotune. Hate the stumble off idle although my gas mileage did go up a little so that was at least a nice benefit. How has the mileage been with the 13.2 plugged in?

Had been hoping to avoid playing with it by popping for the Autotune.
That's an unfortunate assumption that many people seem to have about the AutoTune. Like any other tool, the AutoTune is not going to give you the results you want unless you learn how to use it properly.

The good thing about the AutoTune though is that it is tuned in terms of air/fuel ratio rather than injector timing offsets. Since ahchiu has already worked out some bugs with his AFR map, he could share that AFR map as a great starting point for anyone with an AutoTune on their FJR, regardless of year, exhaust, air filter, etc.

Had been hoping to avoid playing with it by popping for the Autotune.
That's an unfortunate assumption that many people seem to have about the AutoTune. Like any other tool, the AutoTune is not going to give you the results you want unless you learn how to use it properly.

The good thing about the AutoTune though is that it is tuned in terms of air/fuel ratio rather than injector timing offsets. Since ahchiu has already worked out some bugs with his AFR map, he could share that AFR map as a great starting point for anyone with an AutoTune on their FJR, regardless of year, exhaust, air filter, etc.
+1, you need a Autotune to change to AFR, I tried to alter the fuel trim with just fuel trim maps, 2 maps from a fourm member had made on the dyno, a performance and economy map. I changed the fuel trim a little in the 0% throttle position and it really ran bad. As UselessPickles said the Autotune adjust the fuel according to what I have set for the AFR no matter what year your bike is. this constantly changes from one day to another depending on how you ride. I have checked the fuel trim on different days and the values are different everytime. If you want to get better MPG you need to figure out the throttle position and RPM you want to increase you MPG and adjust the AFR in that range. I'm working on this for myself and this is what I have come up with to figure out the throttle position. first "red" line 2%, first "white" mark 5%, 2nd red 10%, etc. I had it hooked up on the PC and confirmed it with the bike running.

IMG_2365.JPG

Wanted to publicly thank Marcus(ahchiu) for his help today. He spent considerable time on the phone walking me through getting my AFR changes. Turned out part of the problem was the Autotune was not working properly. So after getting help from Power Commander, a hardware update got things in sync and working. Took the bike out and definitely smoother now. Will have to wait until I can get some more miles to make sure it lasts but looking good at the moment.

Thanks Marcus!

I know I know, old thread....But I was at my wits end my 07 tell I found this thread.....Had the PVC5 and throttle tamer which was a ok solution, but I stumbled across this thread and added the autotune and adjusted the trim table as done above... So good now that I have a G2 throttle tamer that might need a home

Dan