How to tell if a 2005 model FJR is ABS or non-ABS?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are looking at a photo and can see the front brakes, the ABS model has 2 round sliver caps, the non-ABS has blue caps. If you are actually looking at the bike, the front wheel ABS sensor is on the left side just behind the front axle, the rear sensor is on the right side of the rear hub just above the rear axle.

Excellent! Yep, blue plugs non-abs. Good luck finding the bike. You'll love it. Then you may have to deal with that user-name you chose. :blink:

No problem, I'm about to become TomFromCA.

I was gonna suggest finding a dirt road on your test ride and grabbing all the front brake you can at about 70 miles per hour. If you wad it all up then it's not ABS (or the ABS wasn't working, which is a whole 'nother can o' worms....) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. Hope to hear form you again soon.

I own an 05 w/ABS. Soooo glad I chose the ABS model. Picked it up 2 years ago with 3800 miles on it for 6500. Good luck to you.

Gary

darksider #44

I rode a non-ABS '03 for nine years, never needed the ABS. I bought an '05 ABS last spring and have had use of the ABS twice, once preventing a sure low-speed spill! Love it and won't be without it again. Be patient and find one with ABS. By the way, I paid $6,000 for the '05 with 21K, and it included some nice goodies worth perhaps $1,000.

I think you need more then ABS to save your butt in florida.....especially in dem keys... :unsure:

Another identifier that all of you rocket scientists have neglected. It says so right on the front fender. Duuhhh.

Another identifier that all of you rocket scientists have neglected. It says so right on the front fender. Duuhhh.
Fred, that small white ABS identifier on the front fender is actually just a decal....you could buy one for $2.30 and convert your bike to an ABS model. :p

Fred, that small white ABS identifier on the front fender is actually just a decal....you could buy one for $2.30 and convert your bike to an ABS model. :p
Damn! I wish I'd thought of that. I paid $31.50 for a pair of silver caps to accomplish the same thing. I could have saved $29.20. :angry2:

Oh, and, For Sale: A pair of blue caps for the front wheel of your Gen I FJR. Good condition. $29.20. Plus shipping. Thanks.

\I know, I know, but it is a quick easy start. :p

How can I tell if a 2005 model FJR is ABS or non-ABS?
Oh this is too easy. Forget the plug color "this" or plug color "that" advice. The definitive, memorable, and universally applicable test is a simple operational one.

Ask to take a test ride, and then initiate a high speed stop by abruptly slamming and holding the front brake lever to its limit, while stomping hard on the rear brake pedal. The ABS equipped bike will allow you to continue your test ride. ;)