Exact specs for those common button-head hex bolts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nex

Reaction score
I picked up my 2014 FJR used and it was missing two bolts that I'd like to replace. They are "Yamaha BOLT,HEX. SOCKET BUT Part # 90111-05021-00". It's the number 56 on here (see top right):

1ogtz89k68x1p.png

I suspect they are fairly standard bolts that I can get in bulk for cheap since the OEM ones go for about $2 each. Does anyone know the exact specs/dimensions for these bolts? Is it M4 or M5, and how long are they?

I suspect they are fairly standard bolts that I can get in bulk for cheap since the OEM ones go for about $2 each. Does anyone know the exact specs/dimensions for these bolts? Is it M4 or M5, and how long are they?
I've looked over the years and haven't ever found one that's got the same large finished head...let alone in black. My local specialized fastener establishment suggested the same.

But I have found them significantly cheaper than $2 before at the various online parts sources pinned on the forum. Easiest to buy these and a few of the other pop-fasteners and make a spare kit IMO.

They're 15mm long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto with the Ig-man. I've not found them anywhere except Yamaha. So I just developed the habit of tossing a few bolts and/or plastic washers onto an order with air filters, tires, etc.

Check with Tacoma Screw they have everything, they look like the same as the fairing bolts, take one off and take with you, they are about 1/4" long.

I have couple of extra fairing bolts you can have, not black but you can spray paint them.

PM me if you still need them.

Check with Tacoma Screw they have everything, they look like the same as the fairing bolts, take one off and take with you, they are about 1/4" long.
When I said my "local specialized fastener establishment"...that's who I was talking about. They can easily find a fastener that will fit and work, but it won't have the same broad head and shallow profile.

Part # 90111-05021-00
Mammaha generic part number tells all:

90111 means Bolt, Hex Socket, Button Head, (or some such)

and the 05021 means 5mm, 21mm long.

Edit - This part redacted. Turns out not to be true for bolts with p/n beginning "901". See further comments below.

Cool huh?

Check with Tacoma Screw they have everything
No, actually, there is no source for bolts that match the size and shape of the OEM Yamaha parts other than Yamaha parts distributors. As stated above, you can substitute parts that are similar, and might indeed serve the required function, but nobody is producing parts identical to those spec'd and provided by Mama-blue..

9 posts. Not never ending

First time this question asked. Not pointlessly recurring.

What's your beef?

First time this question asked. Not pointlessly recurring.
I think it's been asked once before for sure...maybe two or three times in my memory. But, I agree that's still a FAR cry from NEPRT-worthy. ;) .

Part # 90111-05021-00
Mammaha generic part number tells all:

90111 means Bolt, Hex Socket, Button Head, (or some such)

and the 05021 means 5mm, 21mm long.

Cool huh?
Hm.. one I just took out from the bike that is also supposed to be #56 on the diagram. It's 16mm in length and uses a 4mm allen key. I'll measure the diameter tomorrow, and if it's 6mm, then it seems to be the metric M6 x 16mm button-head bolt, ISO 7380. If I end up going with a non-OEM one and it fits, I'll post the specs :)

Just checked. It's definitely M5. But you are right they are only 15-16mm length. Have to figure out what the 021 code means.

OK, found some more info online here

For a Part Number in the format XXXXX-XXXXX-XX
These are Hardware (fasteners). they all start with a '9' and end in '00'. - 9XXXX-XXXXX-00

The second and third digits tells us what type of fastener:

• 0 - 'various'
  • 1 - bolts, cotter pins
  • 2 - screws, nuts
  • 3 - oil seals, O-rings, bearings
  • 4 - spark plugs
  • 5 - bolts, nuts
  • 6 - ISO bolts
  • 7 - ISO screws and nuts
The fourth and fifth digits tell us what material/surface finish (i.e. chromed).

Digits six and seven give the diameter (inner or outer) e.g. 08 would be an M8 size.

Digits eight, nine and ten are the length (except for '901' bolts for some reason)

There are also standard fastener types...e.g.
90105-XXXXX are Washer based bolts
90116-XXXXX are Studs
90401-XXXXX are Union bolts

99999-XXXXX means that a part has been superseded by a kit.
So, our part number 90111-05021-00

901 means bolt

11 tells us the material and finish

05 means the thread diameter is M5

021 doesn't mean the length because this is a 901 bolt. Nobody seems to know what the digits 8 - 10 mean.

Thanks for that info, Fred! I just had the diameter and thread pitch measured precisely, and this bolt is exactly an M5 bolt with what appears to be an M6 button head, so it's not standard. M5 x 16mm should fit perfectly, but it will require a 3mm allen key while the OEM ones are 4mm (as are M6 button-heads), which is not ideal :)

So, I'll probably just order the OEM to have them match. Thanks again!