Chrome allen head screws, plastic rivets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birkdale10

Reaction score
I've been searching, and I've seen a couple of mentions of these screws and rivets, but I was hoping to get some specific answers - or ideas for searching that I haven't thought of yet.

The chrome allen head screws are also called 'bolt, hex, socket button' by Yamaha. Used all over the fairing, specifically - to get to the battery you need to take a few of these out to move the black plastic panels. The p/n is 90111-05003-00 . My YamaDealer charges $1.48 for each one. Does anyone know of a less expensive alternative, where to buy?

The plastic rivets are used mostly for the inner panels of the fairing. Yamaha calls them 'rivet', with p/n 90269-07006-00 , and wants $1.13 each for them. I saw a link from Warchild to FJRTEch, and in there he suggests that Mazda has similar item, for 0.95 each. Amazon has a number of packs of these sorts of plastic rivets, but I really can't figure out what the size is. Again, does anyone know of a close match, in bulk (well - 10 at a time maybe?) and less expensive? These sort of things:

ScrewConnector.jpg

So what would be the proper size from either of the links? 6mm, 8mm?
There are several different sizes, but the ones that I always need are on the inner fairings around the battery and glove compartment.

The Yamaha part is #90269-06001-00. Now they want $3 each for these!

I measured one. The hole is 6mm, the diameter of the flange is 12mm, and they are about 23mm long (the longest part).

I just ordered these from Amazon because they appear to be the right size. I'll post again to confirm that when I get them. The Yamaha OEM parts are not all that sturdy, so I am not worried about getting lower quality parts.

I hate to say this, but how often do you need to replace these things? You have in your possession a motorcycle that lists upwards of 16K and you are looking to scrimp on spending pennies just to keep it's bodywork together? Use bloody zip ties like my son does on his banged up track bike. Seriously, go to the dealer and buy a few of these special fasteners and call it good. Carry them in a ziplock bag somewhere on the bike in the event that you drop one along the side of the road on a trip. It can't be that expensive to keep your bike from falling apart from lack of the proper attachments that Yamaha used in the first place. I've had 2 of these bikes in the past 7 years, I can count on one hand (and have fingers left over) how many of these I "lost" and had to replace.

The plastic rivets are used mostly for the inner panels of the fairing. Yamaha calls them 'rivet', with p/n 90269-07006-00 , and wants $1.13 each for them. I saw a link from Warchild to FJRTEch, and in there he suggests that Mazda has similar item, for 0.95 each. Amazon has a number of packs of these sorts of plastic rivets, but I really can't figure out what the size is. Again, does anyone know of a close match, in bulk (well - 10 at a time maybe?) and less expensive?

Come on now, are we really talking about saving 18¢ here? Put down your $5 cup of Starbucks coffee and get over to your Yamaha dealer and buy from him. Keep them in business.

Birkdale10, sorry for getting off on you for this, but this has been one of my pet peeves on this FJRForum all these many years. You just happen to be the lucky one to trigger my response.

Brodie

weirdsmiley.gif

Wow. I don't consider my local dealer a charity case. Nobody is buying anything from me just to keep me in business!

My bike never cost me any $16K, and it's probably worth about $5K now. I don't see how list price of my vehicle is really relevant here.

It's not 18 cents. It's $3.00 each vs 25 cents each. For 10 of these, so I could have some spares around, it would have been $30 at the dealer. Plus tax. I got 20 of them for around 26 cents each. I'm not stupid. And they're not "special", except for the fact that they might be packaged in a plastic bag with a Yamaha sticker on it, packaging which probably cost Yamaha as much as the part itself. There are plenty of parts that are unique to the machine, and those will have to come from Yamaha. There's no need to do price-gouging on the standard nuts and bolts. That's my pet peeve.

I'm sorry I offended your sense of obligation to your local dealer. You are welcome to keep spending your cash as you see fit. Mine will go to the dealer when it has to, and it will never go to Starbucks, regardless of what I spend on my motorcycle.

I'm with Brodie on this one. I have a bag of Yamaha extras that I bought a couple years ago. Have hardly used any of them, but by God I have them.

The allen head screws are called button head cap screws (BHCS) and they are stainless, not chrome I believe. I buy imperial sizes 100 at a time from my local fastener dealer. I know they also have metric sizes; there is likely someone near you too. IIRC, most of the BHCS's are the same size on the fairing so if you're concerned about loosing them, buy a few. The last time I bought them, and imperial #10-32 x 5/8" was $.19 Cdn. That size is pretty close to the fairing screws so your price won't be too far off. My supplier, as do most, sell single screws but make sure you have some cash on hand as it'll likely just go into the staff coffee donation can.

And, while you're at it, get a ball end driver ( like a screw driver with a ball shaped allen head end) it'll take all of the misery out of using those miserable L-shaped allen wrenches. They should cost about $3-4

https://www.berkeysystem.com/store/hardware/ball-driver-532/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a small stock of the screws and rivets that I bought from a discount Yamaha parts distributor years ago. They do need to be replaced periodically. The socket head screws are pretty soft and the socket gets stripped out. The rivets seem to remember the shape when the ends are spread, which makes them more difficult to push through the holes.

If I could find fasteners that fit properly from a less expensive supplier I would not hesitate to buy them.

FWIW, there is a large plastic rivet on the Gen 1 FJR under the nose cowling right in the center. If this rivet comes out then the cowling pieces will catch on the black plastic piece on the forks under the triple tree and cause steering issues. I suggest you get one or two spares of this one in particular. I don't know of any other place on the bike that uses that exact size.

The button head cap screws should be available from about any fastener supplier. I'm lucky enough to have a Fastenal locally that has a lot of stuff you wouldn't normally find at the hardware store. Haven't looked for these there but I'm sure they could get them if they don't stock them. I'm going to look into the plastic ones at the links posted. I usually set stuff down or drop it on the floor and then step on it. :(

I try to avoid the dealer like the plague. Why pay 8 times the price for a part just because it's got the OEM label on it. Some parts can only be had at the dealer, but many parts like fasteners can be had for a fraction of the price elsewhere. I do the same with my 4 wheel vehicles. Chrysler wants $220+ plus for a rocker retrofit hit for my 3.2L engine that consistes of 12 little brass swivel pads and 12 plastic retainers.

birkdale10 asks: "The plastic rivets are used mostly for the inner panels of the fairing. Yamaha calls them 'rivet', with p/n 90269-07006-00 , and wants $1.13 each for them. I saw a link from Warchild to FJRTEch, and in there he suggests that Mazda has similar item, for 0.95 each. Amazon has a number of packs of these sorts of plastic rivets, but I really can't figure out what the size is. Again, does anyone know of a close match, in bulk (well - 10 at a time maybe?) and less expensive? These sort of things:"

I have cheap knock-offs at $.50/each plus shipping for any quantity. If you haven't located a reasonable source, please let me know as I may be able to help out. Those I have are 6mm diameter and about 15mm long with a screw (phillips) in center.