Any favorite front tires?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldernYZer

Reaction score
The Bridgestone Battlax in my '08 FJR -A is getting a little close to the wear bars. It's the OEM size (120/70ZR17).

Anyone have a favorite replacement? I'm not overly fond of the rather pronounced "triangular" profile the tire has (might be worn that way), as I feel like it makes the bike hunt and nibble in the turns a bit. What do you guys like?

Iggy has pointed you to some very good info you'd definitely benefit from. But if you're looking for a quick answer, I'll offer that the Bridgestone T30 EVO has become a favorite for me as it keeps it rounded shape a good long while, no triangular tendencies. Life is respectable and handling predictable, dry or wet.

+1 on the T30. Long (enough) life, doesn't cup the way Pilot Roads always do (for me anyway) good wet and dry traction. Love the feel of new Pilot Roads, but the cupping starts the front end shuddering within a thousand miles.

I am on my third Bridgestone T30. This is the first T30 GT EVO for me. So far, it seems pretty fair but possibly feels less planted than some other tires - just a feeling rather than an experienced problem. I think the tire is stiffer than some (especially the GT version).

I like the fact that they (T30) have a pretty good lifetime and that they retain their profile better than many others. I have also found myself liking the Michelin front tires early in their life but hating them for noise, handling and profile after just a couple thousand miles. I can't see myself putting another Michelin front tire on the bike unless they improve the wear characteristics (lifetime is OK). Especially at the (high) price point for the Michelin.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Mihalis fjr" data-cid="1368200" data-time="1497119699"><p>

I am very happy with my BT023 GT!I am on my second..</p></blockquote>

My favorite also. Unfortunately, no longer available in US.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Mihalis fjr" data-cid="1368200" data-time="1497119699"><p>I am very happy with my BT023 GT!I am on my second..</p></blockquote>

My favorite also. Unfortunately, no longer available in US.
Unfortunately very soon and in Europe from what we hear...
sadsmiley.gif

Consider a heavier duty a-spec (that's the term Pirelli uses) front tire if you're having issues with you front wearing faster than the rear or odd wear patterns.

FJR's are fairly heavy and of you are a bigger sized guy like me, your front tire may take more abuse than you might expect.

Ive had good luck with avon storm xm and have a set of roadsmart 2s in storage for my next trip in a few weeks. My rear ovon is at aout 12k miles with plenty left.

+1 on the T30. Long (enough) life, doesn't cup the way Pilot Roads always do (for me anyway) good wet and dry traction. Love the feel of new Pilot Roads, but the cupping starts the front end shuddering within a thousand miles.
The RP3 was pretty good but I was/am dissatisfied on the 4's for both front and rear. Replaced both tires with Pirelli Angel GT's and like it so far but the jury is still out......

I put a set of the new Dunlap Road Smart 3's on before leaving for YFO...after 6700+ miles they still look pretty damn good, nowhere near the wear bars, and look like there will be no problem getting 10k+ miles from them, they also felt great on the twisty roads that we hit. So, I think I have found a new favorite.
punk.gif

I put a set of the new Dunlap Road Smart 3's on before leaving for YFO...after 6700+ miles they still look pretty damn good, nowhere near the wear bars, and look like there will be no problem getting 10k+ miles from them, they also felt great on the twisty roads that we hit. So, I think I have found a new favorite.
punk.gif
Interesting comment on the Dunlop RS3. I had a set of the Roadsmart 2 a number of years ago and they didn't last at all. I haven't heard of anyone who had tried the RS3 so this is good information. These are often available at a pretty decent price and if they handle well and last a reasonable number of miles, they might be my next tire. Let us know how long they last for you (compared to other tires).

punk.gif
Interesting comment on the Dunlop RS3. I had a set of the Roadsmart 2 a number of years ago and they didn't last at all. I haven't heard of anyone who had tried the RS3 so this is good information. These are often available at a pretty decent price and if they handle well and last a reasonable number of miles, they might be my next tire. Let us know how long they last for you (compared to other tires).
I went through many sets of PR2's, and usually got over 10k miles out of a set...so far these are looking like they will surpass the PR2's.

Running Dunlop Road Smart II.

At 7,500 miles now. Mostly loaded with camp stuff on two trips, or commuting to work. I'm aggressive and drag pegs regularly. Hardly showing signs of wear. Front was cupping, but might have been from bad steering bearings, or under-inflation. Running great now. will get 10K mi. easily.

Less than $200 shipped. No brainer.

https://www.chaparral-racing.com/product/dunlop-roadsmart-sport-ii-tire-kit/331-d-077-kit.aspx

They can even handle back-roads pretty well too. LOL

17795978_10100807477974793_4923918147609874975_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Mostly loaded" "I'm aggressive and drag pegs regularly" "Hardly showing signs of wear" "will get 10K mi. easily"

This made me laugh out loud. I replaced my last RSII @

4,150 because I didn't trust it to last for the 1,200 mile trip home.

The only way I'd get to 10K miles is on a trailer.