USB charging on bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northwoods Snowman

Reaction score
What setup do you guys run for charging USB devices on the bike while riding? I setup a 5 USB port charger in my top case when I went out to NAFO last year, but it couldn't provide enough current to keep my phone charged while using it for navigation (it would drain VERY slowly, unless I turned the screen off and then it would charge) and I couldn't maintain the battery level in the GoPro that I had also plugged into it at the same time. That was REALLY annoying, GoPro would drain the battery and eventually the camera would die some random place and I wouldn't find out until the next time I stopped. The charger was supposed to supply 2.1 amps to four of the five outlets but it didn't. I think it's because most will only provide 2.1 amps on one port and not on multiple and if multiple devices are plugged in it divides the available power among them. I want to put two dedicated ports on the bike that can feed the GoPro and camera and full capacity, but I'm not sure what options out there actually work as advertised. Any suggestions?

I use the battery tender sae to USB. It works but is only a single port.

A quick scan at Amazon shows a few high output USB chargers. Lots of the stuff for USB charging is cheap crap I have found.

The Anker brand is decent. I'd likely find one with multiple ports that (will likely have) a cigar lighter connection. I'd cannibalize it and connect it in direct.

Most of the stuff out there will cater to the automotive crowd and will not necessarily support direct wiring.

Used an Anker myself in a CUNT box setup and powered tank bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a flat-head cigarette lighter charger in the glovebox. It has a low intensity light in it that softly illuminates the box, and two USB ports that stick out to the sides, instead of out into the box. I frequently use that. I also have available USB from the comical Garmin motorcycle harness. I stowed everything else when I installed it but left that accessible. I've never used it. Once I went to the 595LM, a linked iPhone will last all day long without needing a charge.

I think you are right about the amps.

My setup is powered from my forward sae pigtail hanging by the rambone, through a split sae to sae into powered tank bag. In there are two Battery Tender sae to usb quick disconnects. So far have only used it charge iphone and mophie juice pack.

19225979_10155456762359628_5106287677646786654_n.jpg

19225505_10155456762409628_4065458670563849062_n.jpg

19222673_10155456762414628_1190128702954118658_o.jpg

Hi, Northwoods! How're things going? Wife and kids doing well?

You mention that you have a 5-port USB charger. Is it a 'true' charger, or just a hub? I tried using a hub as a charging station and ran into the exact same issues that you described. Hubs are fine-ish for moving data but for charging... Not so much. Kinda like a GenI charging system - not enough juice to go around.

For me, I'm pretty sure I have the exact same doo-dad that Niehart pictured - a BikeMaster dual-port USB socket. You can see Niehart's mounting solution. I just keep mine in my tank bag and plug it into the batter tender harness when needed and toss our phones in the tank bag to charge. Extrememarine has the same dual socket gizmo mounted in his Givi.

BikeMaster Dual-USB Socket Amazon clicky.

See ya!

Hi, Northwoods! How're things going? Wife and kids doing well?
You mention that you have a 5-port USB charger. Is it a 'true' charger, or just a hub? I tried using a hub as a charging station and ran into the exact same issues that you described. Hubs are fine-ish for moving data but for charging... Not so much. Kinda like a GenI charging system - not enough juice to go around.

For me, I'm pretty sure I have the exact same doo-dad that Niehart pictured - a BikeMaster dual-port USB socket. You can see Niehart's mounting solution. I just keep mine in my tank bag and plug it into the batter tender harness when needed and toss our phones in the tank bag to charge. Extrememarine has the same dual socket gizmo mounted in his Givi.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQHK6LC]BikeMaster Dual-USB Socket Amazon clicky.[/url]

See ya!
Everyone is doing well! I picked up a charger and not a hub. I had to cut the cigarette plug off and put on a powerlet plug, lol. Blue Sea Systems has a weatherproof dual port socket I might install in the dash somewhere. 4.8 amps for both ports (2.4 each) and is designed for a marine environment. I like not having wires coming out of the glove box, but I might look into those high output cigarette adapters too; much cheaper.
Bill Lumberg, do you have a link to the adapter you use that you could share?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple of ANKER USB adapters. A 3-port in the glove box plugged into the factory 12VDC socket and a 4-port in the top box. Both of them are spec'd at 2.1 amps for all ports. 2.1 amps is plenty enough to charge and use anything simultaneously. The glove box powers my iPhone and SPOT while riding (I never use the third port) and the top box recharges everything else. The top-box circuit is connected through a Fuzeblock. Burns Moto offers some additional, high-quality (& priced) options.

The ANKER adapters have over-heat protection circuits. I've been using them for 3-4 years and have had one go badlast year. They're super cheap to replace thru amazon. I have no reason to complain.

Of course, make sure the circuit/fuse supports the total current draw.