Split: Some Don't Like Lane Splitting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'll comment, but I think this is a good candidate for splitting into a separate thread. It shouldn't drag this thread into re-hashing the pro and con arguments about lane splitting.

The simple fact is the rider was clearly going too fast--WAY over a reasonable 10 or 15 mph closing speed over the almost stopped traffic. The diamond lanes in my area are NOT separated from the rest of the highway with double yellow lines. So the driver that pulled out had no business at all starting to cross in front of the bike, or even to be leaving his lane at all. Diamond--or HOV--lanes that are separated in that way always have a break in the double lines far enough in advance of offramps to allow drivers time to move over legally toward the exit. So yeah, the driver gets a ticket, and probably a big bill from the rider's insurance company. But the rider gets a trip to the hospital and quite a few weeks of pain. And an honorary dunce cap to wear.

Yup, Mike, careless on both accounts. Anyone who is riding between the lanes should expect that someone is either going to intentionally move or do it whIle checking their phone or opening another beer. What surprises me is the lack of comments about the blond girl with glasses and that build.

DAYUM!! If I get crashed into, I want her to show up. She was hawt!! That was a beautiful rack!!

Yup, Mike, careless on both accounts. Anyone who is riding between the lanes should expect that someone is either going to intentionally move or do it whIle checking their phone or opening another beer. What surprises me is the lack of comments about the blond girl with glasses and that build.DAYUM!! If I get crashed into, I want her to show up. She was hawt!! That was a beautiful rack!!
There are some benefits to crashing in Cali.

My comments are the same as Mike and HRZ. I pretty much fall in line in the diamond lane when I'm commuting as generally its doing 60+. But when it bogs down I'll lane share but at much lower closure speed than that guy was doing. You have to assume that every guy or gal is going to pull across the double white line even though it's clearly marked about every 100 yards that it's illegal.

I have no idea what kind of finding someone in the courts would make - both in the wrong I would say, but who is "wronger"?

Yup, Mike, careless on both accounts. Anyone who is riding between the lanes should expect that someone is either going to intentionally move or do it whIle checking their phone or opening another beer. What surprises me is the lack of comments about the blond girl with glasses and that build.
DAYUM!! If I get crashed into, I want her to show up. She was hawt!! That was a beautiful rack!!
Open the vid in YouTube, AJ. There are LOTS of comments about that hot doctor there! (And Russ, IMO, the car doofus was way "wronger". And yet, he didn't have to take the ambulance ride, so looks like the rider was "dumber.")

As I do on FB, here's the direct link without all the overhead of the commercial site.

In Texas it's illegal to cross the line markings into/out of HOV except where there's a broken line entry/exit area. It's meant to be treated like a physical wall but there are still idiots who try to line jump across it. Don't expect people to do the right thing.

Last edited by a moderator: