Older motorcyclists most likely to die in crashes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good think I'm not old like you!
no.gif

These kinds of articles crack me up. Thank you, Mr. Obvious (Not Gregory). Just as if you swim with sharks, your chances of being bitten increases dramatically. Those who walk on open flames has an increased risk of catching on fire!

Last edited by a moderator:
Old people die?!?!?!? I find that discriminatory, shocking and depressing. Having spent nearly three months in the hospital fighting cancer I hope I go doing something exciting or passionate.

Also no mention of medical conditions. Your avg 20-30 yr old takes nothing, where as your avg 65-75 takes probably a minimum of an aspirin a day.

Actually, in general older people are more likely to die.Its just a fact of life. You die in the future... never at an age in your past. Get older... eventually die. Its a rhythm.
That's the first thing I thought. An accident I walked away from when I was 30 could kill me now at 70. That seems obvious.

Edit:

Come to think of it, almost anything's more likely to kill me at 70 than it would have at 30.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in my 50s.

Alas, let's not forget the young, "I'm too young to die" newbies and squids that can't be bothered to actually buy (and wear) a decent helmet, or decent boots / jacket.

Certainly, its still a fact that us experienced folks may just get a little too comfortable, not pay attention, and pull out in front of a bus at some point.

But I've witnessed idiotically selfish behaviour that nearly killed people because an impatient young dude decided he's just got to do something his way.

Actually, in general older people are more likely to die.Its just a fact of life. You die in the future... never at an age in your past. Get older... eventually die. Its a rhythm.
That's the first thing I thought. An accident I walked away from when I was 30 could kill me now at 70. That seems obvious.

Edit:

Come to think of it, almost anything's more likely to kill me at 70 than it would have at 30.
I bet there are several causes of death that are less likely to kill you as you get older - drive by shootings, bar fights, combat, heart attacks suring sex, etc.....

You know - those things that us older guys don't do very much any more.

The article talks about "erosion of skills". What if I never had any skills? Am I good to go?

Pterodactyl, I've been in a similar boat. Really hoping the last thing I see in this world is not a fluorescent light in a hospital ceiling.

Maybe us old farts are the largest group still riding. The MC industry is not attracting new riders. They would rather still on the couch and simulate riding through VR goggles. That way they can still drink fancy coffee drinks while on a simulated ride. I guess not many of them die falling off the couch. There may be some that end life by death by frying pan. They probably deserve it.

For me, I'm sticking with the real thing. I turned 65 yesterday and have three motorcycles in the garage. I ride over 10,000 miles a year and still work full time. I leave early in the morning to pick up bike #4 - a 2014 FJR 1300ES. Not a birthday present to myself. Just a momentary lapse in judgement. Yes, the '14 matches my wife's helmet, but please don't give too much crap about that. It worked as a valid selling point.

I hope us old farts keep riding. No one gets out alive, so ride while you can. Be safe, be smart and work on your survival skills. We need to keep this industry alive.