Older motorcyclists most likely to die in crashes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill Lumberg said:
Cookie said it. No one gets out alive. Fucking ride. 34F when I leave tomorrow morning. America.
Cookie said it. No one gets out alive. Fucking ride. 34F when I leave tomorrow morning (ETA- 30F). America.

I've long thought (watching some of them try to turn or park), that older guys who get a Harley and can't ride worth crap are a huge factor in this statistic. Given the sheer miles Pops and most of us here cover, we defy the odds big time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the reports from our State Police for motorcycle fatalities in our state from 2012 until current. They are spreadsheets with totals and averages on various points of interest. 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016, the average age of the rider killed was 43 every year. Not going up or down here. Also the vast majority of deaths are listed as the fault of the rider, up near 75%, which is against what we all tell each other, that cages are the biggest threat to us as riders. We appear to be our own biggest threat.

Ah.. just remember, if two people are involved in an accident and one is dead, the story is also one sided.

Ah.. just remember, if two people are involved in an accident and one is dead, the story is also one sided.
That's not true. Most departments do very thorough 'Fatal Crash' investigations. The evidence left at a scene is much more reliable than anything the drivers or witnesses say.

Either way, not totally sure I believe that article. Almost seems like too much "the sky is falling" shenanigans. Like Laser Dude, I have seen lots of our yearly traffic reports, and sadly, it is relatively easy to misrepresent what they say. Honestly, around here, it seems a mix of young clowns, and older HD types that refuse to wear a helmet. Unfortunately there are LOTS of older HD owners and wannabes that refuse to wear anything more than a brain bucket, so I'm sure that is hidden in that statistic the article is reporting. The rest of that was written for BS shock value.

All I know for sure is that old people are statistically more prone to die of old age. Imagine!

I have the reports from our State Police for motorcycle fatalities in our state from 2012 until current. They are spreadsheets with totals and averages on various points of interest. 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016, the average age of the rider killed was 43 every year. Not going up or down here. Also the vast majority of deaths are listed as the fault of the rider, up near 75%, which is against what we all tell each other, that cages are the biggest threat to us as riders. We appear to be our own biggest threat.
It's been a long time, but in the Hurt Report, in multi-vehicle accidents the other driver was at fault most of the time, and it was usually the other vehicle turning left in front of him. In single-vehicle accidents it'd be obvious that it's the rider's fault a huge majority of the time. Mechanical failure was almost non-existent.

Also the vast majority of deaths are listed as the fault of the rider, up near 75%, which is against what we all tell each other, that cages are the biggest threat to us as riders. We appear to be our own biggest threat.
Stats are stats, and are usually skewed in favor of the desired outcome of the provider of such. Here in BC, for some reason our provincial regulating body, which happens to also be the sole provider of licensing and vehicle insurance, has a hate on for motorcycles. Any and all motorcycle related crashed are blamed on the rider, especially in fatalities as the rider can't refute. The blame is usually eluded to by the media.

There was a poor new rider in Nanaimo a couple years ago. Minding his own business travelling along a 4 lane major arterial. A woman in an SUV, self admittedly blinded by the sun, pulled out of a parking lot into traffic with no idea who or what was in that lane and creamed the rider putting him in intensive care. The media wrapped up the news piece with "RCMP are investigating the rider as to whether speed or alcohol was a factor" (in some dumb blind cager blasting out of nowhere and running him over)

I used to commute everywhere on my bike. With cellphone inattentiveness I usually take the convertible now to congested areas and save the bike for getting lost on quiet country roads

Also the vast majority of deaths are listed as the fault of the rider, up near 75%, which is against what we all tell each other, that cages are the biggest threat to us as riders. We appear to be our own biggest threat.
Stats are stats, and are usually skewed in favor of the desired outcome of the provider of such.
Not sure what the State Police death statistic gains out of who's fault it was. They didn't write a report to make any statements, as mentioned they are spreadsheets and you can gain the numbers from the actual data. It shows whether alcohol was related, the type of bike (make and model in many cases), the age, the gender, the time, and I believe whether or not anyone else was involved, along with the time it occurred.

BC is different. Here, the govt has a monopoly on vehicle insurance, licencing and statutes. Long boring story, but they seem to hate paying out for motorcycle claims, especially injury and death, so they are trying to cost us out of riding. I pay $1400/yr on my HD and $1200/yr for the FJR, and thaat is just liability so it can go on the road. I pay a private company for storage, theft etc as its cheaper than the Insurance Corp of BC. The govt in power used the billions of dollars of $ in their coffers to magically balance their fiscal budgets. Its a screwd and skewed system.

Next door in Alberta my friends and family pay $300/yr for motorcycle coverage

11 bikes made it into our recovery yard this past summer. (1) 4 MC from one car crossing the center line. 2 male 2 female. 2 deceased. 2 crippled. All in late 40's. Harley , honda ,Ducati , Yamaha (2) 3 MC from one accident. 2 dead. Head on MC on MC. Tight corner. One bike crossed line. All late 20's All sport bikes. (3) Mid 30's impaired running from police. Into the ditch , out into side of truck. Taken away in cuffs. 'Bussa (4) 1 MC into ditch . Rider hurt but jumped on back of another bike to avoid capture. R1 Yammy. (5) MC into ditch. Rider in 60's dropped of roadway into soft shoulder . Lost it into ditch. Hurt pride and wallet. Brand new Victory. Inexperienced. (6) Speeding in a contruction zone. Mid 30's . BMW dual sport. 7 day impound for exceding the posted limit by more than 50kmh.

Just a sampling from my neck of the woods. There were more incedents in our area , these are the ones we attended. I have pictures of all bikes. Some things maybe you don't want to see. It doesn't matter what bike you ride , ride safe.

Ride YOUR ride and be careful of everyone you encounter.

I've given this article some thought and have come to this conclusion. Their premise that more older riders die than younger ones is probably correct for this reason.

Speaking for myself I have a greater chance of dying on my motorcycle for some of the reasons that were mentioned but I think more for this reason. I ride considerably more. Think about it, if you ride 2,000 miles a year and are 25 years old are your chances of getting killed better or worse than someone who rides 20,000 miles a year regardless of how old they are. We older folks just ride more so expose ourselves to more dangerous situations.

Thankfully, at 66 years of age I have proven to be utterly invincible. Been shot, stabbed and had my butt kicked by a pro. Had cancer, Hep C, hit a deer on a bike, had five parachute malfunctions and I am still fat, dumb and lazy. Evidently I am going to live forever, but the rest of you old farts better be careful out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some here are living closer to the EDGE than me. Its a risk but worth it.

If you are not living close to the EDGE you are taking up to much space.... QUOTE Life is short.

Age and time in saddle are good. Age and reaction time are not.