108 is ablaze, and Dardanelle Resort is toast.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIGHLANDER

naewittyshitepostedeere
Reaction score
Shit, another fire, this one on Sonora pass / Highway 108 and looks like the Dardanelle Resort has burned up. That was one of the very few places on 108 to take a break and buy refreshments. They just put a ton of work into it after last winters toll on the place. 108 is closed down.

That just sucks.

Just read that there are 14,000 battling the fires in this state, that is a truly disturbing number.

Even though Redding is pretty much out of immediate danger, the smoke is still super thick and still causing problems.

The rainy season is on the horizon and mud slides will be a concern.

We are a community of about 92,000 and rebuilding is going to be tough. Only so many builders out there to rebuild the devastation.

not_i.gif

Really sad to hear about all the devastation the fires are causing this summer. We have had a few local fires but nothing compared to the Carr and Sonoma fires. The air quality here in the Bay Area is poor as a result of the fires. Stay safe if you are in the areas impacted.

Αlso in Greece we have a bad summer with many fires..15 miles far from Athens in a beach resort and very near to a forest two weeks ago a big fire did burn about 2000 houses! and 100+ people,childrens died/burned.The fire came so fast that they had not the time to go into the sea and save their lifes.Was a real tragedy....

Last edited by a moderator:
Αlso in Greece we have a bad summer with many fires..15 miles far from Athens in a beach resort and very near to a forest two weeks ago a big fire did burn about 2000 houses! and 100+ people,childrens died/burned.The fire came so fast that they had not the time to go into the sea and save their lifes.Was a real tragedy....
Very sad, fire destroys so much.

Everyday we watch at TV news scenes from the huge fires in CA.So sad to see all these nice forests and houses to have been destroyed..And many people already died there..So sorry,wish and hope to ended soon all this tragedy..

Everyday we watch at TV news scenes from the huge fires in CA.So sad to see all these nice forests and houses to have been destroyed..And many people already died there..So sorry,wish and hope to ended soon all this tragedy..
You're in good company, my friend... it just doesn't seem to stop... another one kicked up near Burney (east of Redding)... :(

You're in good company, my friend... it just doesn't seem to stop... another one kicked up near Burney (east of Redding)... :(
YEAH I saw that too, and another on the McLoud arm of Shasta Lake.

Mihalis, I’ve been to Greece a few times and love the hospitality and friendliness of the Greek people, made my heart ache when I read those reports on the fire, wishing you all the best in tough times.

MB%20Donnell%20Fire%2006.JPG

Bummer! Donnell Fire fire on Sonora Pass is over 20K acres. If only California had a viable forestry industry and the USFS could use timber harvests and mechanical removals and prescribed burns to control fuels rather than the full preservation strategy of the past 20 years. (Former Louisiana Pacific employee...you can ignore this plea.)

Last edited by a moderator:
... If only California had a viable forestry industry and the USFS could use timber harvests and mechanical removals and prescribed burns to control fuels rather than the full preservation strategy of the past 20 years.
Bullshit. Total bullshit.
Seriously my friend, our forests above 2500 feet have become an overgrown mess. Now that cattle don't graze the lower hills the brush (ladder fuels) are running amok. Doesn't help that we keep building in the fire prone areas and the guys and gals that used to jump on the fire now have to save structures.

At least we banned straws.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Old Michael" data-cid="1402992" data-time="1534034379"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="TomInPA" data-cid="1402986" data-time="1534030271"><p>... If only California had a viable forestry industry and the USFS could use timber harvests and mechanical removals and prescribed burns to control fuels rather than the full preservation strategy of the past 20 years.</p></blockquote>

Bullshit. Total bullshit.</p></blockquote>

Of course it is Bullshit. What does a guy with decades of experience in environmental services know, that some random hippie in California doesnt know better?

Maybe not as bad as thought?

Orange County’s last known grizzly bear was killed in Holy Jim in 1908, having won the enmity of the beekeepers by raiding their hives.

At least 13 cabins have burned in the first two days of the fire. Because the area has been declared a flood plain, the Cleveland National Forest may not allow the leaseholders to rebuild.

Dardanelle ResortThe fire: Donnell, along Highway 108 west of Sonora Pass. Started Aug. 1. Now 13,814 acres (21 square miles) and 5 percent contained.

The history: The resort — a restaurant and bar, a store, motel and cabins — dates back to 1923, and has operated as a year-round resort, drawing flocks of snowmobilers in the winter. Its most recent owners bought it in May.

On Monday, when it was reported that the whole complex had burned, they posted a photo of the rubble with the single word “heartbroken.” Since then, though, they have gotten the news that the motel still stands.