Two 50CC Rides Complete And Two BBG1800's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travel_man

Greg Rice
Reaction score
I had to break up my 100CCC ride into two 50CC rides do to work wanting me in San Diego so I made it two 50CC's a week apart.

Dan completed his 100CCC as he had to return for work.

I was not happy with the time ( 32 hours and 7 minutes ) of the 50CC ride out to San Diego that Dan and I did, it was do to many things including bad weather and lots of construction zones. I knew if things worked out it could be done quicker. So I made a little extra effort on the 50CC ride back and being on the weekend a lot of the construction zones were shut down with no delays and I only had lite rain / wet roads for about 200 miles. It was really just enough rain to keep the tires cool.

I started the 50CC ride at 7:22 AM east coast time at the Shell on Voltaire St in San Diego and rode to Jacksonville Beach finishing at 12:45 PM which is 29 hours and 23 minutes. Not bad for a day’s ride as I rode coast to coast in pretty much a day.

I have been riding BBG's for over 15 years but never had a opportunity to knock out a BBG1800 until this past week.

On Dan and my 50CC ride Jacksonville Beach to San Diego we rode 1830 miles in the first 24 hours getting our receipt in San Simon, AZ with time to spare.

On my 50CC ride back, San Diego to Jacksonville Beach I completed another BBG1800 getting my receipt in Mandeville, LA and I had a lot of time left in the 24 hours.

During the 50CC ride back I rode 1000 miles in 12 hours, 1500 miles in 18 hours and a little less than 2000 miles in 24 hours. I was taking advantage of the higher speeds out west.
grin.gif

That is not too bad for a I-8 and I-10 route that included San Diego, Tucson, El Paso, San Antonio, Houston, Baton Rouge, Mobile, Pensacola, Tallahassee and Jacksonville.

That is impressive. I have been looking at doing the 50CC and would love to hear more about how you accomplished such a time and what words of wisdom you have?

The I-8/I-10 route does have city traffic challenges. But still ... even using Route 1604 to bypass downtown San Antonio, it's the simplest and most direct track.

Congratulations on your accomplishment, and to Big Dan for his. See you at Stagecoach!

Last edited by a moderator:
The I-8/I-10 route does have city traffic challenges. But still ... even using Route 1604 to bypass downtown San Antonio, it's the simplest and most direct track.
Congratulations on your accomplishment, and to Big Dan for his. See you at Stagecoach!
I normally take the 1604 loop around San Antonio but this time I stayed on I-10 as it was Saturday night and the 1604 loop has a lot of restaurants and bars along it and I did not want to get caught up in that traffic. The I-10 route through the city is about 5 miles longer I think.

Here is a little more information on my ride.

I made 7 gas stops and my stopped time was 1 hour 50 minutes, not very good. A big chunk of that time ( 30 minutes ) was at my Fort Stockton gas stop and waiting for a hamburger at a Carl Jr at a Loves truck stop. I almost left but I needed some food and I was committed to it.
1f642.png
:)

My route planning including gas stops was 29 hours so I was very close even though I had some long stops. I missed it by 23 minutes. I usually put in a 15 minute layover at the gas stops to cover other slow periods of the ride.

Here is a link to my Spotwalla satellite tracking. The green color dots are the start, gas stops and finish. I also marked the 1000, 1500 and 1800 mile locations with the yellow Spot custom message.
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1b7525bb22d2d0fd9f&hoursPast=0&refresh=no&fillFactor=100&showAll=yes

Thanks, Hud. See you at Stagecoach. Greg loves that dang 1604 loop around San Antonio. I don't see what's so great about it.