Spring Maintenance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
Now that the worst of winter is over and I managed to get out for my first ride of the year, thoughts turn to all of the maintenance items I didn't get done over the winter! In all fairness, it was too damn cold to work in the garage anyway.

New tires, oil change, brake and clutch hydraulic fluid, lube anything that moves, etc. Then I have to decide whether to do a valve check this year or wait until next. The previous owner did one but I haven't done one on this bike and it will technically be due around mid-season.

I also have to completely redo all of the auxiliary wiring on the bike. Clearwater Ericas and Glendas, trailer wiring, voltmeter, lights for the trunk, GPS, heated gear, SAE plug, etc. I am also installing LED headlights and while I could do them without taking things apart, I think I will be able to do a better job securing the wiring if I take the nose off. Also better for the other (re)wiring I have to do. I will still use the Fuzeblock under the seat but I think I will use a barrier strip up front to feed the auxiliary lights etc. I only want one single feed coming off the battery. All the other feeds will come from the barrier strip to the Fuzeblock or directly to the accessory (especially aux lighting and SAE pigtail).

(I may be soliciting some advice on this...)

Still need a couple of warm days to do this.

Edit to add: I have to decide if I am going to have a go at servicing my Penske shock, leave it for this year or send it off somewhere. Doesn't look too difficult although I would need a "kit" and a couple special tools. The first service would pay for the stuff I would have to get.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw mine today - lol. I got the raider out about a week ago - freakish warm day here.

Forks. Do they have a drain screw? lol I never looked.

I have filters. I'll have to decide what oil to use. Tough for me 'cause I'm an air cooled guy. No need for 15w50 in a water cooled motor, I suppose...

But we will be rolling soon!

Now that the worst of winter is over and I managed to get out for my first ride of the year, thoughts turn to all of the maintenance items I didn't get done over the winter! In all fairness, it was too damn cold to work in the garage anyway.
New tires, oil change, brake and clutch hydraulic fluid, lube anything that moves, etc. Then I have to decide whether to do a valve check this year or wait until next. The previous owner did one but I haven't done one on this bike and it will technically be due around mid-season.

I also have to completely redo all of the auxiliary wiring on the bike. Clearwater Ericas and Glendas, trailer wiring, voltmeter, lights for the trunk, GPS, heated gear, SAE plug, etc. I am also installing LED headlights and while I could do them without taking things apart, I think I will be able to do a better job securing the wiring if I take the nose off. Also better for the other (re)wiring I have to do. I will still use the Fuzeblock under the seat but I think I will use a barrier strip up front to feed the auxiliary lights etc. I only want one single feed coming off the battery. All the other feeds will come from the barrier strip to the Fuzeblock or directly to the accessory (especially aux lighting and SAE pigtail).

(I may be soliciting some advice on this...)

Still need a couple of warm days to do this.
All interesting but also why my bikes stay basically stock and I just ride. (other than oil changes and air filters). It is nice to have guys like you and G. to answer questions and share insight.

Hey Ross Kean,

I echo some of your opening sentiments. Just shipped my own > 5 year old HyperPro rear shock assembly back to Klaus in New Jersey for an overdue rebuild. Really hoping I'm not so late now in March that I won't end up behind a long queue of others.
not_i.gif

For the first time, I actually have to break down and properly remove my Gen1's centrestand, trim and / or swap out those problematic bolts, and while its off, remove the dogbones and do a proper relay arm bearing replacement.

Already had a crack TIG-weld repaired on the rear subframe a couple weeks ago, and beyond oil change + lubing of other points, hoping that will be all I need to jump back into some out of town trips starting in April or early May here on the High Arctic Prairie.

Ross, penske in Pa. will rebuild it. Sent mine and cost $200. to rebuild. (send it to the people that built it.)

I know I can send it off but why pay someone else if I can do it myself. As long as it just needs seals, o-rings, a cleaning, fresh oil and a nitrogen recharge it shouldn't be too difficult. Nobody local to do it and it is a major pain (and expense) to ship stuff like this across the border.

Depends on where I am in the oil change cycle. If almost to the end, I will change it before winter. Otherwise, I wait until spring. Some people get concerned about leaving combustion residues (and "acids") in the crankcase. Very much worrying about something that isn't a problem, IMHO. As it is, you end out leaving 20% of the oil in the bike anyway with each oil change.

Last edited by a moderator: