Gen I heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fz1gabe

Reaction score
Hello, I have an 2003 FJR that has the factory heated grips. Apparently, the previous owner did not install correctly and I could not get them to work so I took to my mechanic. My mechanic needs the original instructions for the Gen I model of heated grips as it is different from the Gen II insallation. I have searched for them but have not been able to find a clear instructions. Does anyone have any they could send me or know where I can get the instructions?

The Gen I OEM heated grip kit instructions were in Chinglish and I thought they were nearly useless. The grip kit was a universal kit that came with a couple of Tee adapters. One Tee attached to the front brake switch for power, there was a harness that provided a connection between the two grips and a ground adapter that should have plugged into the main motorcycle harness at the left/center up near the steering stem.

This is what the Gen I kit looks like:

5jw-w0792-00-500.jpg

This schematic should show the tech what he needs to know. I tried to draw the bullet connectors anatomically correct.

Grip%20Schematic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gen I OEM heated grip kit instructions were in Chinglish and I thought they were nearly useless. The grip kit was a universal kit that came with a couple of Tee adapters. One Tee attached to the front brake switch for power, there was a harness that provided a connection between the two grips and a ground adapter that should have plugged into the main motorcycle harness at the left/center up near the steering stem.
This is what the Gen I kit looks like:

5jw-w0792-00-500.jpg

This schematic should show the tech what he needs to know. I tried to draw the bullet connectors anatomically correct.

Grip%20Schematic.jpg

Thanks a bunch. He did ask for a schematic so this should be all it takes.