Death Valley Damsels

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchy750

Reaction score
Women.

You can't live with 'em, you can't live without 'em, or at least that's how the saying goes. But, can you have a good time on a ride when you are outnumbered by them? The intrepid scientist in me endeavored to find out.

The plan? Something a little different this time. Instead of going on a massive coast to coast jaunt, I thought we'd try something a little saner. Death Valley National Park is a scant 270 miles from my adopted winter haven in California, so, I asked Fiona her thoughts on buzzing up there, staying overnight, taking some pictures, doing some touristy sightseeing stuff, then buzzing back home?

Simple plan, right? Maybe too simple. How can I complicate it a bit?

Sleeping Beauty and I invited Keith's sister Jessica to come along, and she readily agreed. Another first! Not one but TWO hot chicks and dumb ol' me! I've never been outnumbered by the fairer sex on a motorcycle trip before. OK, now we're getting complicated. Perfect!

Thursday morning took forever to arrive. Isn't that always the way when you have something great planned? The hours and days slowly trickle by. Stuck at work, I spent my time wisely; learning everything I could about Death Valley, scouring maps, reading other ride reports, tracking down waypoints and loading the GPS.

Finally, Death Valley Day dawned. Fiona had been battling a nasty cold all week, and was feeling, in her words, 'like shit.' Concerned, I asked her if she wanted to cancel the trip. "Death Valley will always be there," I reasoned, "We can go another time."

She replied, "No. *ACHOO!* We're going! *SNIFF SNIFF* What would we *SNIFF* do, sit here and watch *ACHOO!* TV?"

492143295_UjF92-L.jpg

Bless you. Seriously!

We loaded up Rain Cloud Follows, decked out in brand new Pilot Road II's and a newly installed, super sweet Ohlin's rear shock; pulled out of the driveway, and, a little later than planned but with Fiona finally feeling up to the task at hand, we were soon on our way to meet up with Jessica.

The shortest route between our house and hers is also the curviest; a squiggly line on the map better known as the fantastic Angeles Forest Highway. Another great road in a series of great roads all within 15 miles of the house... why don't I live here again??

Anyway, we met Jessica and headed north. Not directly north, because that would be too easy, and too boring. We headed northwest-ish instead. I decided we'd sample Caliente Bodfish road, another fantastic looking squiggle that kept coming up in my work-sponsored trip research phase.

About an hour up Route 58, we had a slight problem. I doubted we had enough gas to get from Caliente to Bodfish, and also doubted there would be much in the way of gas stations on this road. My trusty GPS indicated the closest station was in the town of Arvin, eleven miles in the opposite direction. Without much choice, we turned left, and were pleasantly greeted by the most expansive fields of incredible wildflowers I have ever seen.

492141879_Sncrx-L.jpg

492790941_C5Jrx-L.jpg

492791004_DuQA6-L.jpg

492794748_xvyWa-L.jpg

492790988_BZqMU-L.jpg

Yup. I knew this trip would be different. I soon learned when on a chick-trip, you not only stop to smell the flowers, you pick them too!

492143469_G7J7k-L.jpg

492793494_KmTTF-L.jpg

This rolling train of Beemers have no idea what they missed.

Caliente Bodfish road was everything I expected, and more. Free range cows amble aimlessly along roadsides, and sometimes even in the road.

492142902_2UjYj-L.jpg

We cork-screwed around in the foothills of the Sierra Mountains for a few pleasant hours, winding through the scenic valley, and sometimes scaring ourselves silly as the radiuses (radii?) of the corners suddenly decreased. My new Ohlins shock got a serious workout on the uneven surface of this twisty, fun road.

Still somewhat embarrassed by the girly flower debacle, we stopped to get a more... err... manly picture.

492805626_TzakV-L.jpg

A tank! Whew! That's better!

Finishing my seventy mile detour, we headed for the town of Ridgecrest. Once again close to empty, we stopped in a small gas station for fuel. Two young kids on old dirtbikes, deep in discussion, stopped whatever they were doing and came racing over to check us out.

492145232_dgccz-L.jpg

The older one on the blue Honda checked out my FJR as I checked out his bike. "It's a sixty-seven," he told me with a small measure of pride.

492142942_TsHbU-L.jpg

The boys asked if we were on a long trip, and when I told then where we came from and where we were going, they just said, "Cooooool." I asked if Mr. Sixty-Seven wanted to trade bikes with me, and his head almost fell off from nodding so hard. Reminded of me when I was that age, dreaming of someday having a motorcycle of my own. At least this kid had one, and apparently lived in a town where the cops don't hassle kids on motorcycles. A good place. We all filled up and went our separate ways.

Thanks to my fun, cow-filled side trip, we were still pretty far from Death Valley, and time was no longer on our side.

492837951_TZupf-L.jpg

We stopped for dinner, and the sun sank below the horizon. With a reservation at the Furnace Creek Ranch, and no other real options, we soldiered on into the darkness.

And it was DARK dark. Complete, inky blackness surrounded us as we closed the gap between us and our goal.

492794370_HbpEz-L.jpg

My mind started playing tricks on me, trying to fill in the blank nothingness we drove into. I started 'seeing' sailing ships, flying saucers and all manner of other bizarre things. My mind conjured pictures of those freaks from The Hills Have Eyes staggering out of the darkness. Who needs drugs when you can just ride a dark, moonless road?

At Towne Pass, 4856 feet above sea level, my FJR thermometer read 41 degrees. Fiona, still sick and suffering (silently) disliked this part of the ride. Very much. When we finally reached sea level and Furnace Creek Ranch, much to Sneezing Beauty's relief, the thermometer climbed 30 degrees to a more agreeable, more comfortable 71.

We checked in, toasted the Best Day Ever, then decided, as you would in Death Valley, to go swimming. I even got a great swimsuit picture!

492230216_YJcaQ-L.jpg

Tomorrow, we tour the hell out of Death Valley, and, as they always seem to do, the plans change.

The next morning, Fiona felt a little better, which was encouraging. Right off the bat she said, "You know? We don't have anything to do tomorrow. Why don't we stay here another day? That way we can see everything without rushing through it."

Fine by me! I went to the front desk and extended our stay, and booked a surprise for sunset. Without the pressing need to rush, we took our time and relaxed. We all did our hair, our nails and makeup, talked about boys, then had a pillow fight. Traveling with hot chicks is cool!

492142395_QD7A7-L.jpg

With our titivating, primping and preening out of the way, we hit the open road, looking for adventure, and whatever comes our way.

492141919_Fho2J-L.jpg

We had to share the road with 'The Toothaches' - a burly gang of what I imagined were dentist-bikers in full biker regalia.

492893827_TMF7V-L.jpg

Our first destination was Rhyolite, an old, haunted ghost town near Beatty, Nevada. Back in 1907, this mining town had a population of five thousand, and boasted electricity, running water, and a railroad. Then, a huge economic crisis hit as greedy assholes started trading derivataves and other toxic financial instruments. The boom times soon went bust, and so did Rhyolite. Now, it only has a bunch of ruined buildings, with weird sculptures it's only residents.

492938397_6cRt5-L.jpg

The girls were eager to explore the ruins.

492143513_qSe33-L.jpg

We all had fun with the sculptures.

492912206_t9GsU-L.jpg

492143582_Xfvqn-L.jpg

492143543_XJVh5-L.jpg

492143565_vpgns-L.jpg

Not only is there a ghostly sculpture of the Last Supper out there in the middle of the desert, there's also a huge, rusted miner with a pick axe and... a penguin?

492143679_BDc67-L.jpg

And, if that wasn't odd enough, there is this little... Lego-like statue... err... thing... sitting out there - whatever else it is, it would be the perfect addition to our little riding group.

492910131_wfcxa-L.jpg

Frenchy's Angels

Leaving Rhyolite, we managed to take the picture we failed to get the night before.

492916091_chWbZ-L.jpg

Up next? Scotty's Castle.

492939028_HKtHM-L.jpg

492924562_BGAKS-L.jpg

492143801_8q3cq-L.jpg

A bell sat at the end of a long rope. Jessica, unable to control herself, just HAD to ring the bell.

492924530_t6bzJ-L.jpg

Immediately, a dour faced old tour guide biddy in a sad little hat came over to bitch. "You know that bell is to summons the next tour group," she said. "Now that you rang the bell, you have to do the next tour."

Uhh.. no we don't. In order to pay our respects, we climbed the hill where Walter Scott, the con man who swindled his way into having this castle built, is buried.

492929971_FZDnD-L.jpg

492143969_5cR6X-L.jpg

These Two Are Troublemakers!

492143915_iyJ2X-L.jpg

Scotty's Castle will forever have the distinction of being the place I had the absolute Worst Meal Ever. When starving, judgement can easily get clouded, and something as nasty as a frozen burrito can almost sound appealing. The wrapper had all the necessary warnings, including 'Previously Handled' and 'Frozen For Your Convenience.' Despite these warnings, we ate them anyway.

Trust me when I say that eating anything that was 'Previously Handled' is a bad, bad idea. We lived. Barely.

The excellently named Ubehebe Crater was next on our list.

492951749_8zuhL-L.jpg

492141943_hnfiL-L.jpg

492144015_aRn2T-L.jpg

Death Valley Park is a big place. We had to race back to Furnace Creek Ranch in order to make it in time for our Sunset Surprise.

492143771_HpcWR-L.jpg

The surprise? Trading in our hundred-horsepower steeds for a less powerful mode of transportation.

492144117_EhgJP-L.jpg

492143046_LdwgV-L.jpg

After watching the sun spectacularly dip below Telescope Peak aboard our one horsepower vehicles, we only had a few more thing left to make this Best Day Ever truly complete.

Making up for the horrendous, gut-wrenching lunch, we gorged ourselves full on steak at the Western Steakhouse, then headed out back to look at the most incredible display of the Milky Way I've ever seen.

492144164_iJ8uw-L.jpg

492144143_SK2wb-L.jpg

I tried to get a really good circle star trail picture, but the damn sprinklers kept coming on, soaking everything.

And, the best news of all, we had another day to see some of the lesser known sights of Death Valley before heading home.

I set the alarm for Too Early O'Clock, because I wanted to watch the sun rise on Zabriskie Point. When the damn thing started ringing, Sniffling Beauty stirred, then announced she felt worse, and wanted to go back to sleep. It was cold, early, and cold. I couldn't blame her.

492977678_yvXJJ-L.jpg

492977741_iXX5e-L.jpg

492144240_doppF-L.jpg

492977751_aLxMd-L.jpg

492142251_rZfcZ-L.jpg

The sunrise was nice, but certainly not the overwhelming display of Mother Nature at her finest I expected. Disappointed, I hurried back to the Ranch, because the Sloppy Jalopy club was preparing to make their annual run to Beatty.

492144552_tBdSY-L.jpg

492144055_Lvfq9-L.jpg

492144347_cXQMm-L.jpg

492989053_Fn3gh-L.jpg

492144458_9rfcZ-L.jpg

492144509_293sf-L.jpg

Awesome!

We got a late start, which would affect the outcome of the trip, but for now, we decided to make the best of the day, and enjoy Artist's Drive, Eureka Mine, the Charcoal Kilns and Father Crowley's Point.

492888444_4bcZQ-L.jpg

492144762_3ceFq-L.jpg

492991181_qfqdK-L.jpg

Artist's Drive

The road to Eureka Mine was an exciting soft-core adventure gravel road. Though not on the right bikes for this kind of riding, Jessica was game for it, so down the dirt road we went.

492143238_7aY6S-L.jpg

493021058_c8S7o-L.jpg

492144779_z5Q5s-L.jpg

492144809_jwUS7-L.jpg

The Eureka Mine was worth the 'adventure ride' to get there.

492144858_L45vs-L.jpg

492142586_QcTwi-L.jpg

492142628_iq6x7-L.jpg

492142189_x38ab-L.jpg

492142722_XAXRV-L.jpg

Eureka Mine - Aguereberry Camp and Rusted Jalopy

From Eureka Mine, it was some more soft-core adventure riding to the Charcoal Kilns, with some hardcore curves and bumps thrown in.

492143187_27tjs-L.jpg

The Wildrose Charcoal Kilns are up a steep gravel road, at about 6500 feet. Snow lined the road as we made our way up there.

492144949_5W5RH-L.jpg

492144989_uEELj-L.jpg

492145019_54CbF-L.jpg

Wildrose Charcoal Kilns

From the kilns, it was time to start making tracks. Which we did. In the gravel. We hauled ass down the straight, flatness of Panamint Valley road, stopping for a snack in Panamint Springs.

I have found that on a motorcycle trip, I can eat whatever I want, without fear of those extra calories sticking to my thick middle section. I asked the waitress for my favorite motorcycle food - apple pie. She said all she had was pecan pie, but she could cut up an apple and put it on top.

492143399_kCPDc-L.jpg

Fiona, who had been suffering in silence the whole day, started to feel even worse. She is such a trooper, because if I felt as shitty as she did, I'd be whining more than I usually do. She just sat back there and suffered, without saying a word. But she was suffering, so it was time to leave Death Valley.

The ride home was dark and long, but at least it was cold. It was also totally worth it. Even Fiona, feeling as horrible as she did agreed it was a great trip.

492795014_kqREi-L.jpg

Our Entire 940 Mile Trip

Up next? The Road to Wrestlemania. It starts in a few weeks. Finally, Dark Meat Snack will return to riding, as we head from California to Houston, with a few nice surprises planned along the way.

Until then, Happy Riding!!

Great report and pictures, thanks for sharing. :yahoo:

Mac

Awesome ride report. Hot chicks. Great photos.

What else could a moto-man ask for?

Thanks for sharing.

Well if one can't be out riding for whatever reason then your pics and report are the next best thing. Excellent! Thanks.

Kasey

Fantastic report, great pictures and well written to boot. Glad you enjoyed the ride, wish I was there instead of splashing through the rain drenched streets of PDX!!!!

Way cool DV report! How about having Fiona post her side of the story? :yahoo: :rolleyes:

I hate being sick and travelling on motobike, especially when wearing a full face helmet - sometimes open faced helmets ARE better!